Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 104
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Tynion's latest newsletter shared the last part of his batman pitch he is willing to share that won't go into spoiler territory, it details Lucius Fox's role and how he will try to fill in Alfred's role. Also seems to possibly to tease 5G and Luke at the end?

    "Batman has had one hell of a year. The Batman Who Laughs destroyed the Wayne Enterprises building. Bane managed to take control of Arkham, Wayne Manor, and The Batcave. Every core system of technology that Batman uses day-to-day has been compromised and needs to be reimagined from the ground up.

    The brain behind this rebuild is Lucius Fox.

    Lucius is the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, and is a technical engineering marvel. For the last few years, Lucius has been pushed to focus on improving and maintaining Batman’s existing systems, but after City of Bane, he was given the go-ahead to pull out all of his most experimental technology concepts and bring them all to life. He enjoys building non-lethal weapons technology for Batman, and has grown to appreciate Bruce’s flair for the dramatic. He’s been dreaming up new Batwings and Batmobiles for months.

    Lucius operates out of the new Wayne Enterprises campus on the former Tricorner Yards (old city docks). This new center of the Wayne Enterprises global empire has more built-in R&D space than any previous iteration. Unbeknownst to the thousands who work on the campus every day, there is a giant R&D lab and automated factory hidden beneath the public building. Lucius can design new technology from his office computer, and the automated machines start building it, so he can test it. There is also an industrial furnace he uses to dispose of impractical Batmobiles and Gadgets.

    Lucius has also started to operate as Batman’s operations person, filling the role that was one served by Alfred. This has put considerable stress on the old man, who is not used to operating on three hours sleep a night. But he believes in the mission of Batman, and the new city that’s growing beneath their feet. His son, Luke Fox, is worried about his dad’s new night job, and the ways in which it’s keeping him from his family and affecting his health. He knows what working close to Batman can do to a person, and he sees the death of Alfred as a clear warning of what might be in store for his father. Luke wants him to retire, but Lucius will only consider it if his son takes on his mantle. There needs to be a Batman and Batman needs help.

    The first arc of the 2020 Batman Run will introduce brand new versions of key Batman Gadgets/Vehicles, with one highlighted in every issue."

    So from CEO to making Tea that's very empowering. What old man doesn't like waiting on a grown man child. I thought this run was supposed to be focusing on Bruce the detective not Bruce the a-hole.

    Bruce Young men work better when you need someone to undertake a gruelling schedule with little sleep and manual labour.

    Experienced preferably meta adults work better as sidekicks that fight crime.

    I've never been so happy to not be a hardcore batman fan.

    I will check it out for Steph if the rumours are correct but if she turns out like Rebirth Steph then I'm going to peace out.

    it takes a certain type of mind to write detective stories and show off that side of Batman. Tynion proved he doesn't have those skills after what he did to Tim. Telling us a character is smart isn't the same as showing.

    Pushing buttons isn't the same as solving cases.
    The OldBoy mentality is hurting DC. Man I really hoped someone like Priest had gotten this gig but he has a problem with word yes so i guess he's not a good fit.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 12-02-2019 at 05:37 PM.

  2. #62
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Tynion's latest newsletter shared the last part of his batman pitch he is willing to share that won't go into spoiler territory, it details Lucius Fox's role and how he will try to fill in Alfred's role. Also seems to possibly to tease 5G and Luke at the end?

    "Batman has had one hell of a year. The Batman Who Laughs destroyed the Wayne Enterprises building. Bane managed to take control of Arkham, Wayne Manor, and The Batcave. Every core system of technology that Batman uses day-to-day has been compromised and needs to be reimagined from the ground up.

    The brain behind this rebuild is Lucius Fox.

    Lucius is the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, and is a technical engineering marvel. For the last few years, Lucius has been pushed to focus on improving and maintaining Batman’s existing systems, but after City of Bane, he was given the go-ahead to pull out all of his most experimental technology concepts and bring them all to life. He enjoys building non-lethal weapons technology for Batman, and has grown to appreciate Bruce’s flair for the dramatic. He’s been dreaming up new Batwings and Batmobiles for months.

    Lucius operates out of the new Wayne Enterprises campus on the former Tricorner Yards (old city docks). This new center of the Wayne Enterprises global empire has more built-in R&D space than any previous iteration. Unbeknownst to the thousands who work on the campus every day, there is a giant R&D lab and automated factory hidden beneath the public building. Lucius can design new technology from his office computer, and the automated machines start building it, so he can test it. There is also an industrial furnace he uses to dispose of impractical Batmobiles and Gadgets.

    Lucius has also started to operate as Batman’s operations person, filling the role that was one served by Alfred. This has put considerable stress on the old man, who is not used to operating on three hours sleep a night. But he believes in the mission of Batman, and the new city that’s growing beneath their feet. His son, Luke Fox, is worried about his dad’s new night job, and the ways in which it’s keeping him from his family and affecting his health. He knows what working close to Batman can do to a person, and he sees the death of Alfred as a clear warning of what might be in store for his father. Luke wants him to retire, but Lucius will only consider it if his son takes on his mantle. There needs to be a Batman and Batman needs help.

    The first arc of the 2020 Batman Run will introduce brand new versions of key Batman Gadgets/Vehicles, with one highlighted in every issue."
    I'm actually pretty down for this, I'm warming up to the possibility of Luke taking the Batman mantle and seeing him and Lucius being showcased more prominently could flesh these character out in new and interesting ways. JLD has been pretty good (I'm personally not huge on most of the characters so it's no a regular pull for me) so I'm intrigued by what Tynion may have in store for the Fox family.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-03-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Guardian.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Far Sector
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-Men (2019), Venom, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: John Ridley IV's Batman w/Luke Fox, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm actually pretty down for this, I'm warming up to the possibility of Luke taking the mantle and seeing him and Lucius being showcased more prominently could flesh these character out in new and interesting ways. JLD has been pretty good (I'm personally not huge on most of the characters so it's no a regular pull for me) so I'm intrigued by what Tynion may have in store for the Fox family.
    Is this a case of taking whatever you can get because Dc never has anything substantial for POC or do you really think that Lucius Fox the CEO of WE is a good replacement for a butler?

    Out of all the characters that could take that role you think Lucius Fox is a good fit?

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    So from CEO to making Tea that's very empowering. What old man doesn't like waiting on a grown man child. I thought this run was supposed to be focusing on Bruce the detective not Bruce the a-hole.

    Bruce Young men work better when you need someone to undertake a gruelling schedule with little sleep and manual labour.

    Experienced preferably meta adults work better as sidekicks that fight crime.

    I've never been so happy to not be a hardcore batman fan.

    I will check it out for Steph if the rumours are correct but if she turns out like Rebirth Steph then I'm going to peace out.

    it takes a certain type of mind to write detective stories and show off that side of Batman. Tynion proved he doesn't have those skills after what he did to Tim. Telling us a character is smart isn't the same as showing.

    Pushing buttons isn't the same as solving cases.

    The OldBoy mentality is hurting DC. Man I really hoped someone like Priest had gotten this gig but he has a problem with word yes so i guess he's not a good fit.
    This is exactly my criticism about Tynion's writing; Too much stuff happens off-panel or gets solved instantly due to some Deus Ex Machina.
    He also shares that same "comic books have an unlimited budget" and "bigger is better" mentality as Snyder and tends to go overboard with it completely forgetting that the real budget is the page amount. His tendency to use endless hordes of soldiers/ninjas/drones leaves you with fights that become a series of random impact shots or get solved off-panel because he simply doesn't have the "budget" to tell those stories. This also leaves little room for basic character interaction so most of the character interactions happens off-panel leaving the characters feeling hollow. And I haven't even touched other issues like "the chosen one syndrome" and flanderization...

  5. #65
    Spectacular Member Schumiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    243

    Default

    So, basically DC allowed King to kill Alfred off (in the lamest way) because he wanted having a big death to his name that will leave an impact and they need to keep him happy. But they actually don't want Batman to be left alone without an Alfred-like figure so they just turned Lucious into Alfred v.2 and he is now CEO by day, Butler by night? Wonderful just wonderful. And guess this is supposed to somehow lead to explaining how, Luke, of all people, somehow becomes Batman, because hey, his daddy is already the Butler and they will make a great team together!

  6. #66
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    alright I'll fall on the sword, you'd either have to be willfully intellectually dishonest or literally too dumb to understand words if you read Tyrion's plans for Lucius and took away that Lucius is going to be Bruce's literal butler. c'mon people, is this what fandom has come down to? taking literally any announcement or change and pretending it's the worst possible thing before, during, and after it happens? Lucius is running operations in the cave, updating it's systems, as well as building and redesigning all Bruce's tech but nah he's just Bruce's new black butler; fuck outta here with that noise man.

    when did everyone acting like obtuse idiots to support or reject whatever narrative they fancy supporting or rejecting become the norm in the cultural discourse?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-04-2019 at 07:43 PM.

  7. #67
    VEGETATIVE INJUSTICE! Kurisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    alright I'll fall on the sword, you'd either have to be willfully intellectually dishonest or literally too dumb to understand words if you read Tyrion's plans for Lucius and took away that Lucius is going to be Bruce's literal butler. c'mon people, is this what fandom has come down to? taking literally any announcement or change and pretending it's the worst possible thing before, during, and after it happens? Lucius is running operations in the cave, updating it's systems, as well as building and redesigning all Bruce's tech but nah he's just Bruce's new black butler; fuck outta here with that noise man.

    when did everyone start acting like obtuse idiots to support or reject whatever narrative they fancy supporting or rejecting become the norm in the cultural discourse?
    CBR's Batman forum in a nutshell.

  8. #68
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    alright I'll fall on the sword, you'd either have to be willfully intellectually dishonest or literally too dumb to understand words if you read Tyrion's plans for Lucius and took away that Lucius is going to be Bruce's literal butler. c'mon people, is this what fandom has come down to? taking literally any announcement or change and pretending it's the worst possible thing before, during, and after it happens? Lucius is running operations in the cave, updating it's systems, as well as building and redesigning all Bruce's tech but nah he's just Bruce's new black butler; fuck outta here with that noise man.

    when did everyone start acting like obtuse idiots to support or reject whatever narrative they fancy supporting or rejecting become the norm in the cultural discourse?
    Lmao, it’s the fatal flaw of online fandom, and I’m including myself here, taking everything in the worst possible way.

  9. #69
    Spectacular Member Schumiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Yep, people actually really believe Lucious is going to be just bringing Bruce tea and dusting the mansion in Alfred's absence, that's what it is..

    First of all, Alfred has never been just "the butler", he is much more than that and everyone knows it (which is why I have been capitalizing Butler when talking about Alfred's role)
    "Lucius has also started to operate as Batman’s operations person, filling the role that was one served by Alfred.", Tynion's words. Let's walk through.
    Whose role is being filled? Alfred's.
    Who is going to fill it? Lucious.
    Was Alfred killed for no good reason other than to appease King? I believe so, yes.
    Does DC feel his absence leaves a gap that needs to be filled and trying to fill it with another character? Very much sounds like it.
    Is this something that would further upset people who already find Alfred's death uncalled and unearned? Umm, yes.
    Do people mock and complain about stuff they are upset about. Yes.
    Is exaggeration a literary device? Yes.

  10. #70

    Default

    Might have missed this, is Tynion's a temporary short run then someone new gets the book?

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    alright I'll fall on the sword, you'd either have to be willfully intellectually dishonest or literally too dumb to understand words if you read Tyrion's plans for Lucius and took away that Lucius is going to be Bruce's literal butler. c'mon people, is this what fandom has come down to? taking literally any announcement or change and pretending it's the worst possible thing before, during, and after it happens? Lucius is running operations in the cave, updating it's systems, as well as building and redesigning all Bruce's tech but nah he's just Bruce's new black butler; fuck outta here with that noise man.

    when did everyone acting like obtuse idiots to support or reject whatever narrative they fancy supporting or rejecting become the norm in the cultural discourse?
    So Harper's Job or Tim's job even. Surprised Tynion didn't have Tim fill that role considering how much he likes Tim.

    Didn't know Alfred designed and built Bat's tech. Just how multi skilled was Alfred and how did he gain them? lol

    So since Lucius isn't going to be making the tea, cleaning the cave/manor, polishing the silver, making the meals and serving up sass. I wonder who will? Selina?

    Alfred is more than a Butler however those duties are the ones that are wholly his alone. He's the only one who's ever written/shown performing those duties or possessing the skills well if at all.

    Alfred is the Home, companion, emotional support and the warmth that's always there when Bruce returns. That's his most important duty. Taking care of Bruce, his wellbeing and his home [and the numerous animals]

    The bat ops are duties that pretty much most members of the family can easily cover and have done.

    Tynion didn't need to bring in Fox to cover those duties imo unless this is set up for Luke taking over the cowl.
    Selina I guess now cover's the rest of Alfred's duties.
    Last edited by Fergus; 12-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Might have missed this, is Tynion's a temporary short run then someone new gets the book?
    We don’t know. 5G says that Bruce will be replaced by Luke Fox but who will be writing that hasn’t been established.

  13. #73
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I can already see how the next Robin death is going to happen. It's either food poisoning from Bruce's cooking or starvation.

  14. #74
    Also goes by Westbats Westbats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    So Harper's Job or Tim's job even. Surprised Tynion didn't have Tim fill that role considering how much he likes Tim.
    I would not be opposed to this being how Harper gets brought back into the fold, I've been missing her since September 2017.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batman: Curse of the White Knight, Justice League, Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Red Hood and The Outlaws, Batman and The Outsiders, Young Justice, and Dial H for Hero.

  15. #75
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We don’t know. 5G says that Bruce will be replaced by Luke Fox but who will be writing that hasn’t been established.
    And Bendis isn't writing it (because I guess they figured it would be too obvious even for him).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •