Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    No, they don’t. Alcoholism in particular never goes away. These are the human struggles that define Marvel as a company.
    Did you read my post? I said they should stop re-using the plot point concurrently and often. Every Marvel character has some sort of trauma but it shouldn't be rehashed every story arc but with a different solution.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Did you read my post? I said they should stop re-using the plot point concurrently and often. Every Marvel character has some sort of trauma but it shouldn't be rehashed every story arc but with a different solution.
    Which doesn’t happen at all with Storm, Carol, or Laura, so you should be relieved.

They are only lazily rehashing it as an excuse to try and make Laura fit new Psylocke’s story. That is the sole objective of the regression with Laura here. Just like with her now wanting to be out of Wolverines shadow, like she is Dick Grayson now or something. They are just pulling whatever they can to make things convenient for Laura and Cable to be here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Kwannon is an older character than Laura. Also, just because Laura has managed a way to deal with her inner turmoil it does not mean there are not other ways that could work better, or that she would at least want to try.

Yes, this is done to try to establish Kwannon, but that is because has not been explored.

Besides, Old Man Cable was a brand new character who was thrown into a leadership/mentorship role of characters that had been around years already and that was fine.

Anyway, all this to say that I never bothered to read the first issue but this preview has me intrigued enough I might go back and check it out.
    The former hand assassin who never escaped the life, unquestioning following a mysterious incredibly suspect voice that is clearly using her to kill someone for their own purposes, because the target was indirectly responsible for the death of the daughter she never knew; clearly has a better control over their emotions, then someone who has restrained from killing someone responsible for the deaths of 8 siblings, and epitomized everything she despised.

Laura routinely demonstrates more control over her feelings then Kwannon failed to in the first issue alone.

I can't speak on the Cable matter, I've never read that, I have heard bad things though, and a precedence of bad writing does not validate future bad writing; also it is not a matter of time, it is a matter of experience, you can get away with an out of nowhere mentor if they are still in the student part of their character arc; Laura is way past that.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-22-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    The former hand assassin who never escaped the life, unquestioning following a mysterious incredibly suspect voice that is clearly using her to kill someone for their own purposes, because the target was indirectly responsible for the death of the daughter she never knew; clearly has a better control over their emotions, then someone who has restrained from killing someone responsible for the deaths of 8 siblings, and epitomized everything she despised.

Laura routinely demonstrates more control over her feelings then Kwannon failed to in the first issue alone.
    That is the point Kwannon makes is that she does not have more control. She actually says it as a warning to Laura.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Which doesn’t happen at all with Storm, Carol, or Laura, so you should be relieved.
    Yes, Laura could never manage her anger so now she needs anger management lessons from a corpse.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Anyone notice how it says limited on the bottom of issue 1, other x books didn't have that rember to check it appears on issue 2.
    Screenshot_20191122-114128_Marvel Comics.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yes, Laura could never manage her anger so now she needs anger management lessons from a corpse.
    Nothing about this sentence is factual. Coping mechanisms don’t always work. Sometimes new approaches are required. That is what Laura is seeking here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Anyone notice how it says limited on the bottom of issue 1, other x books didn't have that rember to check it appears on issue 2.
    Just as a quick check, Excalibur #2 has the same thing showing there as Excalibur #1 (above/below phrase). Limited could just be part of the theme here like the caterpillars and butterflies and stuff like that. But I would expect #2 to also say Warrior X Limited as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    They could have had them bonding over the appatent peace on Krakoa and/or not trusting the whole thing.
    People need to get over this fanfic idea that Laura was going to lead some Krakoan revolution. It was never going to happen and was never suggested. She’s not interested.

Speaking of fanfic, IMO X-23 began as basically a cheesy fanfic insert so anything that continues to make her relatable, nuanced and not hyper-competent perfection is fine by me. It makes sense to me that she’d find common cause with a relative outsider to the X-Men, a woman who was also raised to kill but is looking for a way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    People need to get over this fanfic idea that Laura was going to lead some Krakoan revolution. It was never going to happen and was never suggested. She’s not interested.

Speaking of fanfic, IMO X-23 began as basically a cheesy fanfic insert so anything that continues to make her relatable, nuanced and not hyper-competent perfection is fine by me. It makes sense to me that she’d find common cause with a relative outsider to the X-Men, a woman who was also raised to kill but is looking for a way forward.
    Fanfic?
    People give good recent examples of why she would be against krakoa

Astonishing Member

I'll say this , FA is certainly decisive

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Fanfic?
    Teenage female Wolverine clone? It took me a long time to give that character the time of day. The cartoon did not interest me. YMMV.

People give good recent examples of why she would be against krakoa
    I’ve already heard their arguments, thanks. You can let them speak for themselves though.

Astonishing Member

Hill responded about it on twitter, it's a mix of Laura trying to see how psylock handles her anger and Laura beat her trauma but is not completely gone, it's not objectlivy bad thought process. I think hill has ideas that Laura fans like but putting them to print loses it.(to be fair trying to squeeze about 20years of development for kiwanna in to a few issues could cause that.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The art and coloring are still really unappealing. I'm not super invested in X-23 or Bable, so their depiction here isn't a problem for me.

I'm wondering if it's purposeful that Psylocke will be leading a team of characters that are all younger than her (including Husk and Bling, eventually). Maybe to emphasize a student and master feel. There seems to me to also be a possibility of manipulation.