Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, but most of the complaints is some petty or dumb nitpicking like "Psylocke isn't even that cool!!!! Why is Laura sucking up to her??!!" or "Laura still has issues??? But she's supposed to be perfectly 100% fine now!!!".
    Might have one or 2 like that, but I think you're mostly skewing things.

They're more along the lines that of how this mentor ship dynamic does not work; having her ask Psylocke to help her master her rage like she's some revered sensei, and Laura a student in desperate need of tutelage is a tad absurd.

Laura has always had a handle on her rage, it remains an issue, it's still there; but Psylocke is not exactly showing herself to be a master of zen to be looked up to.

Laura is currently a grown woman with a dependent, she is a fully experienced warrior and tactician; she is not currently in need a mentor, and already has one, their name is Gambit.

Don't get me wrong, this scene is adjacent to great; lots of potential in these two characters bonding, but the exact way they went about it made it fall flat on it's face. If they insist on continuing this mentor dynamic sincerely, I suspect it will be the fatal flaw in what otherwise looks to be a brilliant series. (I really don't think they're going to though.)
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

To address 2 things – first Laura and “being OOC”. This is going to be long.

The biggest problem with Laura characterization here IMO are mainly 2 things:
    - the "Logan shadow" which was already addressed by Hill, and many kudos for that, I loved the fact, that he responded
    - the anger/mentor issue which is a bit problematic.

See, through all the books where Laura was she didn't actually develop/shown anger issues unless it was raw beginning of her in comics - Uncanny X-men 455-456, maybe some New X-men stuff. But that anger was only because of the feelings she didn't understand - towards Logan and Hellion. It has been years since she was "feral-girl". X-force 2008 and X-23 2010 series established something else (even Avengers Academy and Arena), different traits. The darkness within, depression, PTSD, lack of understanding emotions, part of her brain constantly thinking how to kill everyone in the room. The search for soul, happiness, her own place.
    If you switched any of those things with "anger" in this preview I don't think that much of Laura fanbase would be vocal. It would be a little bit of regression, but face it, Taylor did unclaw Laura a bit and rushed fixing her too much for me.

With Psylocke “mentoring” Laura I think I’ll wait for the storyarc to be over. It feels quite unnatural and rushed if you know the character. Maybe it isn’t 100% what it seems, but I agree with Nazrel, the mentor she had was Gambit, also long time ago, and their relationship was amazing. Same would be with Black Widow, already long ago established character, with good beginning of relationship.
    I like X with more edge, searching for herself, X-force and X-23 by Marjorie Liu were my favorite. It’s not her being here 100% OOC, it’s more of giving her traits she didn’t really show before. Of course YMMV.

As to second thing, the preview itself, I still like it. I feel genuinely interested in Kwannon/Psylocke character, her story, the Dazzler appearance and can’t wait for Wednesday. More rage than with his Laura vision I had with Hill suddenly hiatusing the series. I still felt much engaged, I’d love to see where the story takes everyone. I know why he does it, but it doesn’t change that I feel sad and disappointed. I’ve written many times, that it’s my first time collecting issues, because normally I buy TBPs. I wanted the series to succeed that much, with so many people saying it will be the first to be cancelled, I never thought there would be brake because of writers lack of time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Yeah it gets tedious for members of her ‘fanbase’ as well. Hopefully when the story gets going we will have more things to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope Pixie View Post
    I find it completely tedious that the issue discussion is always hijacked by her "fanbase" more concerned with ooc depiction than actual story.
    As one of the accursed, I'm tired of it, too, esp. since I don't seem to have the same problem that those who dissent do.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

That often happens when the story is blah. You talk about the characters.

Not really liking the way Laura is sounding in this book, she's the only reason i'm reading it (although I am glad Kwannon is getting developed). I wanna support Hill but I might have to drop this if I don't like it by issue 3.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Laura has anger issues? Never would’ve guessed it. It’s odd she’s going to Psylocke and not Papa Bear. Still this is better than I expected it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Laura has anger issues? Never would’ve guessed it. It’s odd she’s going to Psylocke and not Papa Bear. Still this is better than I expected it.
    Well gambit is off doing magic things, unless you mean Logan? In witch case you know the rules marvel has, there only aloud to say they have a relationship showing it is bad for reasons I dont know what they are but marvel thinks they exist and aren't stupid. (Also did they ever tell her he was alive ?)
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 11-26-2019 at 06:21 AM.

BANNED

I think People saying that Laura was "perfectly 100% fine " during Taylors run for example, should read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    She has anger issues in that she actually has some anger (Which is honestly a healthy sign of recovery on her part.); Psylocke has at best an equal to (probably less) handle on their %$@# then Laura, and it's ridicules that they're appealing to them like they're some kind of guru; but Logan has berserker rages.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-26-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Extraordinary Member

Laura does not think Kwannon can cure her of her anger, she thinks Kwannon can teach her to use it as a weapon. Unlike Wolverine who has his 'berserker' locked up in a mental cage or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Laura does not think Kwannon can cure her of her anger, she thinks Kwannon can teach her to use it as a weapon. Unlike Wolverine who has his 'berserker' locked up in a mental cage or something.
    Not really, Wolverine knows when to use his rage

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That often happens when the story is blah. You talk about the characters.
    or the characterization are bleh too. I don't see the problem of talking about it, it is part of discussions on threads

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Not really, Wolverine knows when to use his rage
    Not really what? Not really that Laura is not asking to cure her anger? Or not really that Wolverine locks up his 'beserker'? Or not really in that both Kwannon and Wolverine (and Luara) actually do all deal with their anger the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Not really what? Not really that Laura is not asking to cure her anger? Or not really that Wolverine locks up his 'beserker'? Or not really in that both Kwannon and Wolverine (and Luara) actually do all deal with their anger the same way?
    wolverine doesn't lock up his berserker, he uses it to fight

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    wolverine doesn't lock up his berserker, he uses it to fight
    Got you. The Return of Wolverine or whatever that Soule mini was made a point about him locking up the berserker and not wanting to let it out, so that probably stood out a little too strongly in my mind as I wrote that. Still, the difference is that when Wolverine lets that side come out he is not in control. It is not something we was able to harness or channel or direct in anyway. It was just him releasing the safeties and hoping for the best outcome. My point still is that this is quite different from how Kwannon handles and uses her anger.

BANNED

Logan also has an emotional attachment to Laura and what she thinks is best for her and what he thinks is best for her dont necessarily align.