Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Honestly from what I've seen no one in the Laura fandom seems to agree with what a non-OOC characterization for her is. Literally everything she's in has a considerable amount of people claiming she's OOC on it.
    If it’s “no contractions, hyper competent and with utterly no personality but killing things” count me tf out.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Honestly. Anger hasn't been brought up for Laura since Liu's take. Not even Bendis and Soule did it.
    The o5 were always scared she might berserker rage them

BANNED

I think that people who don’t like Hill’s treatment of Laura. Are the same kind of readers who complain about Dany from GOT/ASOIF or Rey from SW or Mulan or any other girl who has had a hellish childhood of abuse & abandonment. Or prefer Morison’s Emma ‘ the homewrecker’ Frost who chases after married men, as opposed to Emma Frost the ruthless businesswoman/leader.
    The competence, the self-control and bravery and the willingness to pick yourself up and start over and persevere be your best self & not surrender to despair is just too grating for most. Like Paul Tobin said of Emma “She has all the ingredients of falling apart, but is strong enough to keep herself together. That’s her heroism. Not everyone is willing to save themselves.”
    Most people aren’t willing to do the hard work of putting themselves back together or picking themselves up and moving on. So it bothers them in seeing it in characters who do. Especially if the character is calm (ie. Can control themselves) It’s why we’ve never had an Emma Peel franchise, yet shows like the Bachelor and Real Wives of_______. Remain on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Laura always had a troubled relationship with authority figure though. I dont wanna use the word submissive but she was acting weird around Scott and Logan in the XForce days, including letting Logan rough her up and let Wolfsbane maim her because Logan told her she was less important. It might not have been as apparent in recent years because she wasnt following a leader as often but it was there.
    I think I know what you're talking about. When it came to Cyclops, I just chalked it up to her being new with the X-Men and figuring that she had to do what she was told. And remember that Cyclops gave her a place to stay and came to her defense when Emma tried to scare her off and make her leave, so she probably felt as if she owed some allegiance to him. The Logan stuff...was just dumb and OOC writing. Some of the things that K/Y had him saying to her was mean and made no sense. Going so far as telling her that Rhane was more valuable than she was. Logan has taught kids, served as a foster father to Jubilees and Kitty, and knows her back ground so it is unlikely that he would address her like that. It's almost as if it was done so to generate pity for X-23.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Laura's a kid. The idea that she could have her life straightened out to the point where she doesn't need mentorship is a joke. Cable is interesting. Kwannon is--a curiosity. Why are others turning to her? Why is she the leader? She hasn't really done much.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    great, Laura gets Logan's anger issues. Why not talk to him about it? This is still pretty bad.
    Laura spent the first 15 years being mistreated, beaten, tortured and humiliated. The notion that people automatically forget and don’t experience emotions as a result of those memories makes no sense.
    There’s a speaker I listen to who was raped by her father for most of her childhood. And she said that even as a 70+ woman she still has memories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GylT'Nav View Post
    I am still on the fence with this book. While I liked the first issue and want to read more about Kwannon, I am unsure of Lauras portrayal here. I am all for giving her more edge, but still..
    In ANW #1 it was stated by Dr. Strange that she is able to manage her anger by giving it a direction, to channel it. So Hill's interpretation of her character is that she needs a mission to deal with it and feels uneasy in a peacefull enviroment?
    That’s right. Having a purpose allows her to channel her energy into constructive things. Idleness and passivity reduces you and causes you to contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    "Every master is a slave."
    I’m assuming Hill means that everyone becomes a ‘slave’ to something that they are good at. Think of the pro-athlete who is at the top of their field. And sinks in to a fog of depression when they get injured or their career is over.

Quote Originally Posted by GylT'Nav View Post
    Well...thats how I see it, too. I loved Tamakis first arc on x-23, thought.
    It is pretty early into the run, but when this is Hill's direction for Laura , then I do not like it....
    While the first arc was enjoyable. Tamkaki like Taylor and Hopeless turned Laura into a fluffy generic CW American teenage girl. Because they haven’t a clue how to write an introvert and even more an introvert with a troubled past. That’s never who she was and I am glad that Hill is bringing that character back.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I like that Laura has more edge in this, she became way too bland in ANW, but I’m hoping we see where all this angst is coming from. As for Laura taking advice from Psylocke I have no problem with that at all. I remember when Laura went to the savage land and spent the whole time copying her.
    I think it’s less angst than Hill trying to reset her back to how she was originally created. Mature and responsible. And her own woman. Not a vapid American high school/college girl. Or Wolverine in drag.

I have no problem with her taking orders/advice from Psylocke, Laura is smart and mature but it’s always be clear that she’s still young and has plenty of room to grow. I always thought and hoped that she would partner up or be taken under the wing of one of the old Betsy Braddock as Psylocke.
    Last edited by Mia; 11-23-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Honestly from what I've seen no one in the Laura fandom seems to agree with what a non-OOC characterization for her is. Literally everything she's in has a considerable amount of people claiming she's OOC on it.
    Seconded.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

So is this title already ending? I swear I saw that somewhere.

No, it’s on hiatus because Hill is busy with other work.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Not quite amused by this preview but I will support Kwannon
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    great, Laura gets Logan's anger issues. Why not talk to him about it? This is still pretty bad.

Death of Xavier is important enough to lock down the island, but not important enough to end the nightly parties.
    Newsflash: no one likes Chuck.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny how the thread is being taken up by question X-23's characterization when it's a general thread about the issue. For me, while I can comprehend that the characterization may be somewhat different then before, I have to say that I'm liking the series overall and find the characterization works in the context of this story.
    I find it completely tedious that the issue discussion is always hijacked by her "fanbase" more concerned with ooc depiction than actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope Pixie View Post
    I find it completely tedious that the issue discussion is always hijacked by her "fanbase" more concerned with ooc depiction than actual story.
    Yeah it gets tedious for members of her ‘fanbase’ as well. Hopefully when the story gets going we will have more things to talk about.

The preview consists almost entirely of a conversation between the 2 of them, what else is there talk about but their dynamic and what does and does not work about it?

P.S. Character is a part of story, and this looks to be a very character driven story.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-25-2019 at 05:45 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

That’s fair. I’m more concerned about Nu Psylocke dispensing fortune cookie philosophy myself. She’s like a millimetre away from saying “If you do not master your rage, then rage will become your master”.

After all, if you fail to plan, you’re just planning to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    The preview consists almost entirely of a conversation between the 2 of them, what else is there talk about but their dynamic and what does and does not work about it?

P.S. Character is a part of story, and this looks to be a very character driven story.
    Yeah, but most of the complaints is some petty or dumb nitpicking like "Psylocke isn't even that cool!!!! Why is Laura sucking up to her??!!" or "Laura still has issues??? But she's supposed to be perfectly 100% fine now!!!".

BANNED

If I had a nickle for every thread the Cult of Storm has hijacked just because some writer didn't show her able to individually manipulate every single oxygen atom in a mook's lungs...

All(not literally, but you get what I mean) fandoms "hijack" threads because of their faves. The only difference is whether others agree with them on it or not lol. On this case I don't think Laura is OOC, but well, some people think HOX #4 Jean was fine...