Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Annihilation: Scourge Discussion *Spoilers*

Can't help but feel like Marvel missed a HUGE opportunity here considering what just happened at the end of Absolute Carnage.

I am hoping that Knull is the real villain behind this newest Annihilation Event aka Cosmic Marvel Event, because even the way the enemies act in the 1st issue could be explained away as a new way the symbiote's are working.

That reveal of the main villain at the end was a serious letdown. Given the last mini-series was one of the best uses of the character that there has been, but i do not see how bringing him in with the Avengers from the Cancerverse necessitates an Annihilation level event.

This could have been used as Knull's springboard as he establishes his beachheads, they even used Silver Surfer in the Excellent Silver Surfer: Black to help establish Knull even MORE in the Cosmic arena. It would make sense for him to start there and then move on to Earth. It could have really established him as a Villain rather than the Boogeyman that he has been up to this point. He is a very flat villain with his desires and motivations, this could have easily been used as a showcase of just how powerful he really is and also give him some actual depth.

But instead we are left with....
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Let's remember said villain may just be the cancerverse version.

The black text bubbles, the classic costume, and the way he talks, combined with his most recent appearance being nothing like that just a couple months ago, tells us that this may just be that. We won't know for a bit yet. While it wouldn't be unprecedented for Marvel to just junk previous developments, I don't see why they'd have had Zub do what he did recently if this was meant to be that version of the character.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-22-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I didn't enjoy it at all.

The reveal, the action, the story...it just didn't hit for me at all.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Yeah, was kinda boring, except for the Nova and Cosmo bit at the end. Kept thinking "get on with it - show us the heroes!".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It was ok but I really wasn't feeling Rosenberg's take on Rich.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Are the Revengers still powered by the Nova force?

Ultimate Member

Rosenberg? Well, I'm out

By the way, you know Spencer's 2099 stuff? It was actually Rosenberg who came up with the idea to do such an event, but Scourge meant he was too busy to take part in it. They actually said that at the end of the 2099 Alpha issue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It was okay. Like a lot of others, I was waiting for the reveal of the heroes. Ultimately, it felt like a mish-mash of all of the previous Annihilation events. I admire the ideas behind it as it turns on its head a lot of concepts. Annihilus is on the losing end this time and has to team up with his enemy. The Cancerverse invades the Negative Zone. On paper it sounds good, but it felt like a rehash of the past.

I'll stick around. I enjoy Annihilation and it's still great to see these characters. I was shocked to see Sentry. So, maybe there will be some good surprises.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

As a Sentry fan, I'm worried. This obviously doesn't mesh with his appearance in Agents of Wakanda or post his mini, so I do think this is an AU Sentry, but given what I've heard about Rosenberg and the Sentry's dialogue in that issue, I'm super leery that they might just junk it and revert back to Void-controlled Bob. The character's 20th anniversary is right around the corner so I'm glad to see him used, but...
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-26-2019 at 12:27 AM.

I didn't realize there was any ambiguity about this being the Cancerverse Sentry.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I quite enjoyed the first issue, especially spending so much time with Annihilus and Blastaar, that was different.

That said, I am sorta hoping Sentry is just some sorta envoy.

Extraordinary Member

Here it says it is 616 sentry.
    Click sentry link inside.
    Annihilation: Scourge Alpha Vol 1 1
    Appearing in "Annihilation: Scourge"
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Annih..._Alpha_Vol_1_1
    and here
    Sentry (Marvel)(02 - Robert Reynolds) - Chronological Listing
    http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=840
    Last edited by mace11; 11-26-2019 at 02:43 AM.

That's a fan-run page and is by no means an authoritative statement.

A lot of people are /assuming/ it's the 616 Sentry, but I don't think it is. I do believe it's the Cancerverse Sentry, and 'home' in this case is the Cancerverse, which the Scourge will be trying to reopen a portal to.

I'm /hoping/ that's the case but until we get a firm statement in the comics, I'm nervous. They've screwed Bob up over and over again, after all.

I just don't want Bob turned into a villain and put on ice for years at a time again.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-26-2019 at 05:26 AM.