Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A lot of people are /assuming/ it's the 616 Sentry, but I don't think it is. I do believe it's the Cancerverse Sentry, and 'home' in this case is the Cancerverse, which the Scourge will be trying to reopen a portal to.

I'm /hoping/ that's the case but until we get a firm statement in the comics, I'm nervous. They've screwed Bob up over and over again, after all.

I just don't want Bob turned into a villain and put on ice for years at a time again.
    It's a cosmic book, so I'll probably check out one issue. I'm already disappointed that once again Marvel has something involving the Negative Zone, but no sight of Blue Marvel do we see. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't screw the Sentry with this series. Like you, I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before they mishandle the character...again.

Wait, so we have a story that involves a powerful enemy, and in The Negative Zone yet there's no Blue Marvel involved at all??? Lord, one day Marvel will employ real writers and not glorified fanboys for their books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Wait, so we have a story that involves a powerful enemy, and in The Negative Zone yet there's no Blue Marvel involved at all??? Lord, one day Marvel will employ real writers and not glorified fanboys for their books.
    1) The story's barely started. It's too early to complain who is or isn't in it.

2) If you like a character, you should be grateful that they are not being written by Rosenberg

3) If we're being technical, canon is already being ignored as Sentry is powerless in the Negative Zone

BANNED

It does feel like the return of Bendis Sentry......

20191127071055.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    1) The story's barely started. It's too early to complain who is or isn't in it.

2) If you like a character, you should be grateful that they are not being written by Rosenberg

3) If we're being technical, canon is already being ignored as Sentry is powerless in the Negative Zone
    Sentry isn't powerless in the negative zone. Sentry is just less powerful there while the Void is more powerful. This is obviously irrelevant if the Void is in charge.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A lot of people are /assuming/ it's the 616 Sentry, but I don't think it is. I do believe it's the Cancerverse Sentry, and 'home' in this case is the Cancerverse, which the Scourge will be trying to reopen a portal to.

I'm /hoping/ that's the case but until we get a firm statement in the comics, I'm nervous. They've screwed Bob up over and over again, after all.

I just don't want Bob turned into a villain and put on ice for years at a time again.

First I'm super psyched Sentry is back, I'd rather see him as an Avenger but this is still something. He is not from the Cancerverse - "he comes from a dimension beyond our own", so this is probably the 616 Sentry. My guess is he wandered into the Cancerverse and is so insanely powerful and people worshipped him there he just went with it.
    I'm not sure why he's evil suddenly unless the Void has taken over? I would like to see him eventually become a good guy like in Mighty Avengers. But the mythology around him is pretty intense, his power is mysterious and is somewhat limitless. He accidentally resurrected his wife twice, does matter manipulation better than Molecule Man, has psychic power to erase everyones memory of him, if destroyed just comes back to life. I think we will finally get to see exactly how powerful he is because he will probably be battling some cosmic entities. Hopefully some questions will be answered.

Annihillis and Blastar seemed to know Sentry was the leader and were clearly scared of him. There isn't much else to say because so far we have very little information.
    I have been waiting for Sentry to show up in an event since he was in Siege. I had pretty much given up and thought they just couldn't write stories with his power set but they are finally going for it.
    I think they might be pushing Sentry to become a major character, good or bad so eventually a movie can be done either with him as a hero or him as the next big bad guy in some movie.
    I love the whole run from New Avengers to Siege and all the appearances of Sentry. Like when he smashed all the Inhumans briefly. I like having one character with ridiculous power levels who isn't a cosmic entity but is an Earth person. Marvel has finally tapped back into one of the potential best characters ever.

I am not sure I agree. This isn't even keeping with the continuity of AoW which was only a couple months ago.

As a big time Sentry fan, I can't say I love all his appearances and reducing him to 'cosmic bad guy who talks like your basic bad guy' is removing all nuance and popping on Lemire'a best-in-character work. Going back to the Bendis-era is the last thin g any Sentry fan should actually want given how soundly rejected it was.

That's why I don't think this is 616. Bob merged with the Void and integrated so he shouldn't be acting as JUST the Void like it appears here... but Rosenbergs gonna Rosenberg.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-26-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I was psyched when Blue Marvel returned in Mighty Avengers but the whole series was a dud. He never did much, no displays of crazy power, very little battle time, all he ever did was throw a few blue beams. Same for Ultimates, he seems to be depowered to a guy with blue rays that are not any more effective than any other power set on the team. Same with Civil War 2, old BM would take on Thanos just by himself yet all he did was throw some blue rays at Thanos while War Machine was killed.
    They made him about as effective as Captain Marvel at best. In fact one time his contribution was to power her up? He also was beat up as much as all the others on the team. For some reason they just don't want to make him a Thor type character who pulls out the big guns when called for?

So there is no point having him if he's just going to philosophize about how he hates violence and rarely use his powers. If he's close to Sentry in strength you would not know it from any of those comic runs.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by joelr View Post
    I was psyched when Blue Marvel returned in Mighty Avengers but the whole series was a dud. He never did much, no displays of crazy power, very little battle time, all he ever did was throw a few blue beams. Same for Ultimates, he seems to be depowered to a guy with blue rays that are not any more effective than any other power set on the team. Same with Civil War 2, old BM would take on Thanos just by himself yet all he did was throw some blue rays at Thanos while War Machine was killed.
    They made him about as effective as Captain Marvel at best. In fact one time his contribution was to power her up? He also was beat up as much as all the others on the team. For some reason they just don't want to make him a Thor type character who pulls out the big guns when called for?

So there is no point having him if he's just going to philosophize about how he hates violence and rarely use his powers. If he's close to Sentry in strength you would not know it from any of those comic runs.
    I mostly disagree with this view and i am tired of this type of talk.
    You could see this type of talk for any character to tell you the truth i realized the longer i stayed on this forum and others.
    That's one of the reasons i stay out of the appreciation threads as much as possible.

Blue marvel knock out ultimate hulk with one punch by the way.
    Even savage hulk could not do that when they fought.

He knock back the maestro with one punch when he was with the ultimates.
    Of course it was not in the ultimate book or mighty avengers but it was the same writer for new contest of champions book.

In mighty avengers he had a a major strength and attack feat flying into Shuma-Gorath in issue 3 that you ignored again.

Now the parts you may have point on is thanos to a point.
    Now if he fought thanos in a fair fight most likely he would lose.

Could he last long enough until others come in and help? of course but thanos is darkseid level type being and normal blue marvel is high herald type or maybe low transcendent.

Could he win some?
    Yes under the right circumstances just like silver surfer vs thanos or superman vs darkseid.
    By the way you have ignore other things he did that carol and the otherS could not do as well in ultimates and the other books.

In the mighty avengers the characters that had most action were those less powerful types,blade,luke and white tiger,falcon etc..

Not even she hulk and monica had that much action compared to these others and the books never promise blue marvel would have a bunch of action pack power display.

The other OP types did NOT have bunch as well but what he had was more major character development like he had in ultimates and that i think was the idea for him that some folks do not get.

Now if those books lasted longer you would have seen more action and power display but i think the writer knew these books would not last long so they focus more on character development as much as they can.

By the way doing that less folks over time have stop calling blue marvel a superman clone and i think that was the major purpose that did not fly over my head.

They even change his costume again in ultimates and he did not have a cape but he had a jacket vest.
    Of course when he fought king hyperion he not have a cape on as well.

Now ultimates never promise that type of action either but it had more action for him i think then mighty avengers.

Now the guy with blue rays?
    Are you talking about the shaper of worlds in ultimates?because even depowered at that time he still was OP explain in the issue you ignored again and blue marvel had a energy power major feat containing him and carol and the others could not do that.
    Not even thor did that for example.

He are the feats you ignored in your post for in those books you mention.
    Respect Adam Brashear, the Blue Marvel!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthre...rvel_earth616/

The Blue Marvel Respect Thread (Updated)
    https://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t609332.html

Infinity Event: Blue Marvel Saving The Mighty Avengers ( The Story Behind The Event )

The ultimates and blue marvel talk from another thread.
    Blue marvel use alot of power to contain Shaper's Ghost and he knock out ultimate hulk with one punch.
    Some thing normal savage hulk could not do when they fought in the last secret wars.Adam and monica even combined to take out a really powerful villain.
    Adam and monica did cut loose a few times but that was not what the book was about.
    Cutting loose doesn't mean someone will win or always win.They were dealing with really powerful forces etc.. in ultimates.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Here some more talk.
    They talk about some of his major feats in those books you did not mention.
    Marvel’s Superman vs The Hulk (Ultimates2 Vol 2: Eternity War)

Blue marvel talk starts around 16:49.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Blue marvel has shown more major intelligent feats, as well in those books.
    I don't know why that keeps getting igonored when talking about power.
    Power is not only just physical.
    He also has major speed and energy power feats in mighty avengers and ultimates.
    Why is that being down played?
    It should not be downplayed.
    Blue Marvel: Adam Brashear All Powers And Weaknesses Explained

Who is Marvel's "Blue Marvel?" Possibly the Strongest Being on Earth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=761kTla2ugs

Note- blue marvel has limitless stamina.
    His only weakness listed is this.
    Weaknesses
    Neutronium: Blue Marvel appears to be only weak against this substance from the Neutral Zone.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The Definitive Origin Of Marvel's Adam Brashear ( Blue Marvel )

The sentry
    does matter manipulation better than Molecule Man
    This is not true by the way.
    Finally, the classic Molecule Man was almost omniscient, capable to probe the universe and the Abstract Entities to find out that they were conspiring against the Beyonder,[34] and to estimate the size of the Multiverse while talking to the Beyonder.[35] However, he has not demonstrated such capacity since then. In addition, the current version of Molecule Man is so powerful that Galactus has even claimed that Owen Reece can destroy him with a mere thought.[63]
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Owen_Reece_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Here some talk from others by the way.
    Like i said he could see this type of talk even in the thor,wonder woman and superman forums.
    Just look at the thor vs carol recent talk.
    By the way carol has become more powerful overtime in the comics just like the mcu,so she is OP.
    She is getting back to her binary levels of power.
    She is more powerful then spectrum for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Gotcha

That was me. Its funny. I don't get that from Cyborg... I'm not a big titans fan but what they do to him in the JLA is exactly what I was afraid they'd do.

He replaced the Martian Manhunter as the Justice Leagues "Butler".
    Its hard to imagine scenario where he's the one to "pound his fist on the table" (nice turn of phrase btw) in the presence of the Supers and Bats... and while I can't see flash doing that either its not because he's the butler.

Night Thrasher? IIRC I've seen him stand up to cap. Not to imply thats requisite or something I NEED to see to show a characters backbone, but too many of these guys seem to have it removed.

Apologies for dragging marvel into it, but I' VAGUELY remember "Blue marvel, power up captain marvel for an attack." and think... why don't you just attack yourself?
    they made him kind of a pacifist professor type for most of the book, which again to me often feels like a butler.
    Blade, Night Thrasher types are in short supply, but I'd settle for Dave Chappel with Ninja powers at this point.
    Need more strength of character. long story short. More gravitas on the stories as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I felt like he had a lot more 'inner life' as a Wolfman/Perez Titan than he has as the Justice Leagues 'guy in the chair' / IT guy. He could be replaced by a talking chair, for all the 'life' he's shown in the League, sometimes.

Yeah, another case of a whole lot of hat, and very little cat. As Tony Stark would say, 'You're tip-toeing around. You need to *strut.*' And yet it sometimes feels, with characters like Blue Marvel or Icon, that the writers are kind of afraid of showing a really top tier black male character cutting loose.

In that sense, I kind of miss Battalion, from Wildstorm's original Stormwatch lineup. He was unapologetically kickass, and didn't feel like he was holding back or relegated to not showing off to upstage the white folk on the page. (Since he was team leader, and one of the powerhouses. Although, yeah, uber-stoic, and the more emotionally charged / impulsive / 'angry' roles got 'safely' relegated to white folk like Flashpoint and Hellstrike...)

And ha about Blue Marvel powering up Carol in that scene, 'cause I felt the same way every time Colossus did a 'fastball special' with Wolverine. "Or, I could throw this bus at the Sentinel, and you could find some other way to get your gimp ass to the fight, tovarisch... Here's a nickel, go buy a real super-power."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Icon and Blue Marvel not cutting loose was the point of their character arcs. They weren't written that way, by black men no less, because the writers were afraid of the angry black man stereotype (Icon's creator went on the write Hardware whose first story is called "Angry Black Man").

As for calling Blue Marvel the "butler" is an exaggeration of his portrayal in Ultimates.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...18#post4680418

This is from john stewart thread.
    Another thread i try stay away from as much as possible.
    So much negativity and hardly appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace
    To me, Blue is a mix of Superman, John Stewart, and Reed Richards. I find him to be a highly interesting character that I strongly desire to see utilized more and fleshed out. Alas, nobody at Marvel will even attempt to touch him with a 10ft pole, probably because his immense powerset and intellect may be too daunting of a task to portray for the writers.

I'd actually say John is in better condition than Blue is right now, since John has been more consistently utilized in various things comics + outside media. Like I said on this thread regarding our boy John and on Blue's thread, all that can change with a successful movie. It's a faint hope to hold onto (maybe less for John), but it's all we've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I can't say John is necessarily in better condition than Blue Marvel, sure John has more consistently utilized but how pivotal has he been to those appearances in recent years? how well written and fleshed out has he been? John gets used more consistently used because he's been around the block longer but, in the current comic/superhero storytelling landscape, I believe Blue Marvel gets handled with better care when he's put on-page.

Blue Marvel's origin is contemporarily relevant and he is rarely relegated to being background or a cheerleader, or a sidekick if he's in the panel he's usually doing something that points to his strengths as a character. I just don't think John gets written as consistently compelling or with as much care comparatively
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2019/page77
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Ultimate Member

I like Blue, but why is everyone acting like he's in the crossover?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I like Blue, but why is everyone acting like he's in the crossover?
    He's certainly not and I beg a thousand pardons for bringing him up. Mentioning him can be like opening Pandora's Box sometimes. We'll have to make the most of Blue Marvel's appearances in the Dr. Doom series, which, coincidentally, we can thank Reed Richards for arranging.

As for the characters that are here, it looks like the FF, Beta Ray Bill, Silver Surfer and Nova all get Annihilation: Scourge one-shots. Anyone know why Sentry doesn't get a one-shot, too? Hope that doesn't forebode tragic events to come.