Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Question about NEW52 Super-Powers

Hello,
    I have a question about NEW52 Superman/Supergirl Powers.

Were they more developed than the Pre-Flashpoint/Rebirth Ones?

Because for example the X-Ray seems to be more powerful than the Pre-Flashpoint One.
    In Superman Unchained Superman used the X-Ray also to destroy a battery or he also used it to read DNA.

Broadly speaking I'd say yes, but there's no consistency to this stuff. New 52 Superman isn't inherently stronger than pre-Flashpoint Superman, it's all a matter of what a given writer wanted at a given time.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Im with Adekis on this. In a general sense New52 Superman was more powerful. In Morrison's run Clark begins at Golden Age-ish levels and the run ends with Clark on a roughly post-Crisis type of level. When Scott Lobdell took over, he had Clark lose a fight to Helspont and basically hit the gym. From that point we had a Superman who could bench press the planet's weight for days, survive a black hole, and spend months in space without needing air (and his senses were sharp enough he could identify where he was and navigate home). All of that puts him closer to typical Silver Age levels than Clark had been since the 86 reboot.

But functionally, Clark's only as strong as the story needs him to be, and there were stories within the New52 uber-powerful framework where Clark was handled as if he were only at post-Crisis levels, or above them, or whatever the writer needed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, what the story needs. As the Rebirth writers have said he's the same, but different people will have him do different things. With all he's done, your vision example for one doesn't seem unlike splitting anti energy cells or forcing a concussion within Manchester Black as far as vision feats go.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, what the story needs. As the Rebirth writers have said he's the same, but different people will have him do different things. With all he's done, your vision example for one doesn't seem unlike splitting anti energy cells or forcing a concussion within Manchester Black as far as vision feats go.
    Yes,ok,BUT!
    As far as I remind the Manchester Black example was with HEAT VISION and it was rather a kind of "normal" use of powers.

Here in this NEW52 Story he used the X-RAY Vision and showed so much control over it, that he could decide the type of radiation which he uses.
    In the story you heard the thougts and he says that he uses GAMMA RAY to destroy the battery.

And he was also able to read DNA as in the storyline with the alien weapons who transformed humans in aliens he said that he read the DNA of them.

So yes Heat Vision feats I read a lot, BUT these 2 examples showed also a greater control of his X-Ray Vision than I read before.
    I find it interesting, because the X-Ray Vision is often displayed only as "been able to see trough things", but these 2 examples shows that NEW52 Superman seemingly had an even greater control of it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Heat vision, like other vision based powers, came about as a manipulation of what we call his X Ray vision. The problem in discussing feats with Superman though is the fact that these things are almost never mentioned before or after, so they don't really tell us about his limits one way or the other. Could he do that before, we can't say. Why he doesn't do it again, we also can't say. It's just what the writer wanted at the time.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES