Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Donner Superman was a prototype to Byrne Superman. So not everything translates exactly. But, yes, a lot of the elements that Byrne put in his reboot were borrowed from the movies. Prior to the movies, Krypton was always portrayed as a sort of Buck Rogers future version of Earth. The movies made it look more alien with the crystals. Byrne clearly intended his Krypton to be more alien in nature right down to putting everyone in the same type of clothing. Including the robes. Removing his history as Superboy. Having the ship he came to Earth in look more alien than just some fancy rocket. Having his powers develop more slowly. Although the movies gave him some right away. Having him be on the football team. Granted in the movies he was a water boy and not an actual player. Having at least one parent still be alive well into his career as Superman. Always before they both died before he took up the name. And, this isn't well known, but prior to Byrne, Smallville was a suburb of Metropolis. So it was actually on the eastern seaboard. The movies put it in the middle of the country. There is also him learning about Krypton from recordings. Before the reboot he had to rely on his super-memory or some found artifact that made it's way to Earth.

No, it's not a direct translation but there are clearly enough elements there that it's obvious Byrne took inspiration from the movies. Right down to Lois' haircut!
    Sure, there are things taken like the talking to dad and farmlands/ countryside. I can give you that. But i don't see characterisation being similar. So, it's trivial for me. Donner superman like the precrisis guy was a god living with people. Byrne superman wasn't like that at all. Football thing is common in highschool stories. Recordings, holograms.. Etc are common in scifi stories.byrne superman never played the village idiot. Donner superman did like the precrisis guy. Donner superman had superintelligence since he had learned things as a baby. I feel donner superman is more like precrisis guy. Parents being alive, as i said is used in very very different way. One is for humbling a god or massiah with death of ond. The other for no reason, its just normal everyman story with both alive. Byrne superman was far too everyman to be even be close to donner superman, in characterisation. He was human till he became superhuman. I don't see the everyman superman being influenced by jesus superman. Donner on the other hand has taken clear influences interms of characterisation from precrisis guy. I can see the man of tomorrow characterisation influencing jesus superman. Btw, i knew about suburb thing.i have read the older adventures. I had used it in my compartmentalise/split superman post. I just saw it as a left over from the original superman characterisation of a vigilante. So, i gave it to the goldenage guy.also, both parents being dead is a goldenage vigilante leftover.silverage guy doesn't need it to get a point across.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-24-2020 at 09:48 AM.