Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I agree Boz was too young in Returns, but I liked her story even though it was flawed. I thought her acting was fine, she just looked too young for the part and as a mother. I wouldn't mind seeing her again now that she's older. I haven't seen her in anything since Returns.

I really don't see Routh's wife as Lois, but she's pretty and a good actress, and we could do worse. But no, I don't need to see Routh's real love life in a possible Superman show. It seems too distracting for me. I want to see him act in love with an actress not his wife.
    I mean, it worked for Jerry O'Connel and Rebecca Romijn...

Routh and Ford also play a couple on Legends and it worked great there. She actually has been Ray's only really convincing love interest. Ray and Hawkgirl from the first season were terrible. Ray and Felicity weren't really great either. Though the Hawks and the first season of Legends were terrible in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Routh and Ford also play a couple on Legends and it worked great there. She actually has been Ray's only really convincing love interest. Ray and Hawkgirl from the first season were terrible. Ray and Felicity weren't really great either. Though the Hawks and the first season of Legends were terrible in general.
    Yeah, Legends (and I guess the Arrowverse in general) really bungled The Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Legends (and I guess the Arrowverse in general) really bungled The Hawks.
    Oh yeah. And they know it too. When I recommend Legends to people I tell them to just start with the second season. That first one is just terrible.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Funny thing is that if she were to play Lois today, then she probably could pull it off.
    That's a critism of both Routh and Bosworth with Returns. Both of them looked too young to be portraying the Donner era Supes and Lois. If they were playing their own "new" versions not tied to that continuity it would not have been an issue.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Oh yeah. And they know it too. When I recommend Legends to people I tell them to just start with the second season. That first one is just terrible.
    That's sensible. Just probably don't recommend it to any JSA fans...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's sensible. Just probably don't recommend it to any JSA fans...
    Is that a sore spot for JSA fans? I know a lot of fans have general issues with the CW takes on anything, but I thought the JSA were handled relatively well. Admittedly, I've never been into the JSA so I wouldn't know what was off.

well if you're particularly attached to Hourman or Doctor Midnite, well things don't turn out great for those guys. The rest of them are handled fine. I agree though, seasons 2-3 of legends were great. Season 1 was really bad (Captain Cold carried it). Though I blame Rip more than the Hawks. I hated that whiny british sad sack.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 01-23-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The Routh Superman is clearly based on the Donner version which was the prototype to the post-Crisis Superman. No Superboy, an alien looking Krypton, at least one of his parents still alive into his career as Superman, etc. That having been said, there are also so many villains the movies never got to touch. I want to see him take on Brainiac. And the Arrow-verse has already established their take on the character. So it's unlikely that we'll actually get to see the actual big bad version on screen in the show.
    It's true that Routh's Superman is very clearly signaled as a version of one he played in Superman Returns, with a reference to Superman III tossed in to boot! So I wouldn't necessarily say the Donner Superman, but, er, same wheelhouse.

All of which said, I think there's a lot of room for quasi-Silver Agey elements to work their way in anyway. Slater's Supergirl was connected to that world after all, and that means witchcraft exists, which mean basically any kind of comic booky nonsense is equally cromulent, I'd say. Sure it'd be cool to see him face off against Brainiac or something, but unlike in 1978 or 2005, there's another couple of live action "serious" Superman stories floating around in the mainstream, one the Cavill movies in recent history (and hopefully the future) and one in the Hoechlin show in development. Leaning into Silver Agey elements of the Superman mythos, while keeping the broad strokes references to the Reeve movies, could be a very viable way to differentiate Routh's specific version of Superman! Hypothetically speaking of course.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't see any similarities between donner superman and postcrisis superman. The only thing the postcrisis superman has is the crystal fortress, Which was taken from the movie. So that is not surprising. So, i don't know where this postcrisis superman is based of from donner superman is coming from. Heck! Postcrisis superman is more based on the goldenage guy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't see any similarities between donner superman and postcrisis superman. The only thing the postcrisis superman has is the crystal fortress, Which was taken from the movie. So that is not surprising. So, i don't know where this postcrisis superman is based of from donner superman is coming from. Heck! Postcrisis superman is more based on the goldenage guy.
    Are you secretly John Byrne? You and John Byrne are the only ones I’ve heard say that.

Off the cuff:

Smallville was ONLY placed in Kansas for the movie and the Byrne reboot borrowed that.

Reeve’s likeness.

The larger S.

Corporate Lex had similarities but that was at least partially a Wolfman thing.

The portrayal of Lois as a modern career woman. The power levels. And, yes, that goes back to the 40s but Byrne’s takes when they went retro, went retro in parallel ways to the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Are you secretly John Byrne? You and John Byrne are the only ones I’ve heard say that.

Off the cuff:

Smallville was ONLY placed in Kansas for the movie and the Byrne reboot borrowed that.

Reeve’s likeness.

The larger S.

The portrayal of Lois as a modern career woman. The power levels. And, yes, that goes back to the 40s but Byrne’s takes when they went retro, went retro in parallel ways to the movies.
    I mean,clark being his all encompassing identity. It was the same in golden age.but in goldenage,there where two identities.one is the clumsy fake harold llyod persona.the other is the real clark kent who was called superman the urban legend.
    This isn't the case for john byne superman. He didn't have two identities. That's the difference.

Donner superman was kal el like silverage superman. He had been learning stuff as a baby.it stands to reason he can remember things.his powers are inspired by that as well.

The main difference between donner superman and silverage guy is that.donner superman didn't build the fortress and he(donner) allowed one parent to live and accomplish what both of them dying would with one.ofcourse,this was only possible because by silverage superman didn't have a vigilante image anymore.death of both parent wasn't needed.donner didn't want the vigilante superman,but the superhero superman. Death of one would more than siffice for that.postcrisis wanted the everyman,so both the guys were kept alive.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-24-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post

Off the cuff:

Reeve’s likeness.

The larger S.

Once heard the Byrne Superman described as a “mix of Chris Reeve and Golden Age Superman viewed through 1980s Cold War politics and patriotism” which is fairly accurate I’d say. Don’t get why Byrne was so adamant that he wasn’t taking from the movie when it’s DNA is clearly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Once heard the Byrne Superman described as a “mix of Chris Reeve and Golden Age Superman viewed through 1980s Cold War politics and patriotism” which is fairly accurate I’d say. Don’t get why Byrne was so adamant that he wasn’t taking from the movie when it’s DNA is clearly visible.
    Ok. Then, which parts? I genuinely don't see any similarities between Bryneman and donner superman. other than maybe the aw! Shucks! Farmboy routine. Even then byrne superman didn't have that, maybe not at all.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Donner Superman was a prototype to Byrne Superman. So not everything translates exactly. But, yes, a lot of the elements that Byrne put in his reboot were borrowed from the movies. Prior to the movies, Krypton was always portrayed as a sort of Buck Rogers future version of Earth. The movies made it look more alien with the crystals. Byrne clearly intended his Krypton to be more alien in nature right down to putting everyone in the same type of clothing. Including the robes. Removing his history as Superboy. Having the ship he came to Earth in look more alien than just some fancy rocket. Having his powers develop more slowly. Although the movies gave him some right away. Having him be on the football team. Granted in the movies he was a water boy and not an actual player. Having at least one parent still be alive well into his career as Superman. Always before they both died before he took up the name. And, this isn't well known, but prior to Byrne, Smallville was a suburb of Metropolis. So it was actually on the eastern seaboard. The movies put it in the middle of the country. There is also him learning about Krypton from recordings. Before the reboot he had to rely on his super-memory or some found artifact that made it's way to Earth.

No, it's not a direct translation but there are clearly enough elements there that it's obvious Byrne took inspiration from the movies. Right down to Lois' haircut!
    Assassinate Putin!