Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Like that wasn't controversial. He won the zod fight. His objective was to save the world and as much as people he can. He did that.His goal wasn't to. 'not kill zod'.This is Batman's nonsensical game with the joker. That ain't a lose. As batman fight,batman couldn't accomplish his goal to kill superman nor did lex 'to put holes in the holly' . Naturally, superman won the war. He was finally accepted by the people. A guy can loose a match and still look impressive. Sheer dumb luck is also an asset. So, no jobbing. Doomsday always kills superman.it's kind of his thing.superman on the reverse killed him as well. But, superman was the only one who would have woke up. So,doomsday lost. Superman lives.
    in the fight with zod and co elsewhere because zod's target was superman,fight wasn't fare to begin with(3 on He did the smart thing. He realised he cannot beat them like that and he was breaking everything . So he used prep. If batman can do it so superman can as well. Superman ultimately won.
    using kryptonite to win isn't much of a contest. Its like beating up a cripple. I mean, there is a reason why goku would never use it if he wants to kick superman's ass. Even, then supermen both overcame it and accomplished their wants(albeit with help).
    The help only came because two reasons
    1)innate goodness in them
    2)superman inspired them to do so.
    Superman lifted the entire island made of kryptonite threw it into space. He stopped the missiles that was meant to sink east cost. So,guess who won.
    Hoechlin’s superman, fights never did those thing. He cleanly lost. You can say his supergirl fight was something. But, still superman's goal was restraining kara. He failed. Kara on the other hand did. Point blank. End of story. There was the fight with evil black superman.even that one i don't know what was he going for. A straight up punching contest or stalling. If its the former, he lost. Even if its the later, that still doesn't make him look good. He was fighting basically himself. But, he won.
    Regardless, this is clearly 'what about' argument. It doesn't do a thing to change win loss ratio of the character in question nor does it make people like me excited for the character in question. Making character look dominant in fights or coming on top is required for people to stay engaged with him. So, cw creatives needs to start doing that. No more, putting over supergirl or anyone for that matter. The other supermen had won most of their bouts,not that it is relevant.
    My point stands, your excuses for the other Superman’s defeats don’t hold up. So Lex defeating Superman with prep time doesn’t count, but you’re still counting what he did with Zod as a clean win? Defeating Deegan was a group effort but woundn’t have happened if not for Superman’s efforts so by you’re standards from the kryptonite island, wouldn’t that be a win? I mean yeah a group victory but he’s only ever been in team up episodes, so why is that a problem?
    Anyway I don’t want him to win every fight. Where’s the fun in a hero who never loses?
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-04-2019 at 10:32 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    My point stands, your excuses for the other Superman’s defeats don’t hold up. So Lex defeating Superman with prep time doesn’t count, but you’re still counting what he did with Zod as a clean win? Defeating Deegan was a group effort but woundn’t have happened if not for Superman’s efforts so by you’re standards from the kryptonite island, wouldn’t that be a win? I mean yeah a group victory but he’s only ever been in team up episodes, so why is that a problem?
    Anyway I don’t want him to win every fight. Where’s the fun in a hero who never loses?
    Never did say it didn't count. Did i?it's just against bushido. All i said.it not something i would count as win. But, it is a win. I have different value system. I don't count prep time ambushes as wins. But, that's just me. I pointed out that those supermen got out of it. They won with power to inspire and good old anime friendship power up. Lex didn't defeat superman the match hadn't concluded. You just brought out half or clips of the full story or match. I can show a clip rocky get beat by apollo in his second match and claim something. But that doesn't mean rocky lost.
    I have already said it is a win reagarding deegan.but, Problem is the win-loss ratio and perception. A monster face needs to feel like one
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-04-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Again You seem to flip flop on whether the matter is about winning physical confrontations or foiling the villains schemes. Can we just pick one? If it’s the former, Routh’s Superman has very little to nothing to brag about. If it’s the latter, then Earth 38 Superman has a decent enough track record. So either way, I got no problems.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-04-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Okay, a lot of complaining about film Supermen, but very little about the actual crossover. Especially this little tidbit;

"Mick Rory babysitting".

Now THAT'S going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Again You seem to flip flop on whether the matter is about winning physical confrontations or foiling the villains schemes. It’s honestly confusing.
    No, winning the match and foiling the scheme aren't mutually exclusive. Lets treat it like pokemon match i choose superman. You chose lex luthor.
    Lex used kryptonite attack.
    My superman got hit.(you basically, declared yourself the winner just by that. But, my pokemon wasn't out)
    I made him use inspire which allowed other pokemon to grant my superman help.
    My pokemon gets outs stops luthor and sends him flying
    Same thing happened in zod's case
    Zod used three on 1.
    Superman used prep.
    Superman won.

Goddamn Routh Superman looks like an absolute unit in that still

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Okay, a lot of complaining about film Supermen, but very little about the actual crossover. Especially this little tidbit;

"Mick Rory babysitting".

Now THAT'S going to be fun.
    Sorry for derailing the thread. The point still stands. Hoechlin’s superman needs more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    For that matter the only way Cavill's Superman was able to defeat Zod was by killing Zod. And Batman got the upper hand in Batman v Superman. Plus Doomsday killed him.
    Superman was a jobber for Batman. It wasn't until Justice League that Superman started showing some competence.
    Superman did no jobbing for Batman. Superman himself said if he wanted Batman would be dead. He never wanted to kill Batman.

And Cavill Superman was fighting trained Kryptonian warriors when he was just a rookie superhero, and he still hurt them when he really tried. Doomsday and Superman killed each other. Keep trying lol

It's possible that Cavill Superman was more powerful than the other Kryptonians since he had been on Earth much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    It's possible that Cavill Superman was more powerful than the other Kryptonians since he had been on Earth much longer.
    That's not how cavill/snyder superman's powers work. He is based more goldenage guy and john carter, even snyder encorporated the sun thing. It's like being on the moon or mars for humans.if i can jump high on moon, a high jumper would eclipse me on the moon. Zod>>>>>clark in snyder movies.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's not how cavill/snyder superman's powers work. He is based more goldenage guy and john carter, even snyder encorporated the sun thing. It's like being on the moon or mars for humans.if i can jump high on moon, a high jumper would eclipse me on the moon. Zod>>>>>clark in snyder movies.
    I don't think Cavill's Superman is particularly based on golden age Superman or John Carter powers wise. The gravity aspect of the powers wasn't the original explanation for Kryptonian strength, it was evolution. Then gravity differences were the explanation, later followed by the yellow sun in the silver age while also keeping the gravity explanation. I think these days, it's still sun + gravity and the bit with Cavill Superman reaching out to the sun as he woke up after destroying the World Engine was an indication of his reliance on solar energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    For that matter the only way Cavill's Superman was able to defeat Zod was by killing Zod. And Batman got the upper hand in Batman v Superman. Plus Doomsday killed him.
    Superman was a jobber for Batman. It wasn't until Justice League that Superman started showing some competence.
    Killing Zod means he's incompetent? Does that mean post crisis, Donner and CW Superman are all incompetent now?

I don't think Cavill's Superman is particularly based on golden age Superman or John Carter powers wise. The gravity aspect of the powers wasn't the original explanation for Kryptonian strength, it was evolution. Then gravity differences were the explanation, later followed by the yellow sun in the silver age while also keeping the gravity explanation. I think these days, it's still sun + gravity and the bit with Cavill Superman reaching out to the sun as he woke up after destroying the World Engine was an indication of his reliance on solar energy.
    I am not arguing it is the first. His advanced physiology like bugs was the first explanation in the first action comics issues. Which is also a factor in man of steel. Snyder's superman has fare bit goldenage guy in him even though he is an amalgam(much to its deterrents) . I don't know about currently. In Man of steel movie, it clearly states his powers are based on these factors different advanced physiology, weaker gravity, earth's environment and cells drinking solar radiation. The last can be interpreted anyways, human cells drink solar radiation as well for vitamin d or it can be plant like.bvs basically confirmed it to be like planet like. It helps in his stamina, regeneration, laser vision and flight once a threshold is reached . But, it had nothing to do with his other powers like strength, speed.. Etc. Zod was on the same playing feild the minute he came to earth. the only thing zod had as an obstacle was his physiology not being able to adapt to earth's atmosphere and his inability to control the senses. Even then he was bread to be warrior . he had eclipsed superman in everyway. It was sheer dumb luck that clark got the upperhand for a matter of seconds to a minute.sheer Dumb luck is something this superman has in spades . This superman doesn't need red sunlight to be depowered. He just needs to be in kryptonIan environment to cough up blood. Clark is the son of two worlds. but, he gets hammered in both. On earth he can't see properly, hear properly and has breathing problems so on and so forth. On krypton he might not even be able even stand properly. Suffice to say it is hard being clark kent/kal el on both planets.Anyways, this superman isn't just a solar battery.snyder doesn't go for the simplistic explanations. He has to complicate and convolute things.

Coming back to goldenage comparison. Similarity, Superman/clark an enigmatic figure who helps people like a ghost and hates the spot light. Clark kent an identity given to him by parents. His father tells him not to display his powers because the world will fear him, untill the right time comes. As clark kent, he basically tries to erase every news regarding his actions as his alter ego, because he has to help people no matter what, instinct and all. But, Lois getting into trouble makes him come out as superman and face the world. difference, lois learns he is superman and helps him in keeping it a secret.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

None of the Supermen died in COIE though. Many are assuming Routh's Supes will die but he could just as easily end up going into some kind of paradise dimension like in the comics. And thinking of that, has there been any word of whether there will be an Alexander Luthor Jr who comes from the Earth where all the heroes are villains and his father Lex is the sole hero? I know it can't be Earth 3 since the Arrowverse has kind of mixed up all the Earth names.
    I don't think they're doing a straight up adaptation. I think who we've been told is in it is who we're getting. The more likely candidate for the paradise dimension would be Oliver since he started the whole franchise. Sort of like why Earth 2 Supes got to go in the original COIE.
    Assassinate Putin!

Yup, his powers seemed to be growing more and more and even Jor-El said so in his ideal of hope speech.