Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

All in all a happy ending! A lot to unpack here.

Everyone's on the same Earth now! Yah!

All the previous universes were restored! Yah!

Routh Superman is still out there to be used later if they want and it looks like he got a happy re-write! Yah!

Ezra Flash! Yah!

And, of course, Gleek!

Now we have an explanation for why Superman has two sons in this timeline.

The only disappointing part was not getting to see Welling again. But I guess they only got him for what they could get him to agree to.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Anyway, the implication I get is that Earth-96’s timeline was rewritten to be less dark. So while I’d have liked maybe about two minutes more, Routh gets his happily ever after as far as I’m concerned.

It was a pleasure.
    I admit fully I didn’t catch that the first time around. I do wish it had been a little more clear because, like many people, I was super uneasy with the Arrowverse taking it upon themselves to kill off Kidder’s Lois Lane off screen a year after Kidder herself died so tragically. I’m not the first person to say it but it felt....cruel and unfair to her legacy. So I’m going to hope you are right and she’s alive and well somewhere out there.

BANNED

So....I have to be honest about something. I’m kind of disappointed that the second child isn’t a daughter. But I have a sneaky suspicion in the back of my mind that they wouldn’t be allowed to have a daughter because WB thinks it could threaten Supergirl being the only super powered Kryptonian girl. I have no proof of this. It’s just a nagging feeling I have based on the way they treat Supergirl and the sexism that always suggests with women that “there can only be one” etc.

I hope I’m wrong and they just really wanted to use Chris Kent and maybe contrast an adopted child with Jon. It’s a valid story to tell and, certainly, has worked very well as a model for “This is us.”

If they just made up another kid—and it’s not Chris, and they had to make it another boy...I’m kind of annoyed. Because if you are just making up another kid who has no basis in canon, there is absolutely no good reason to make it a second boy.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I hope, it's someone brattish. A little jerk for a change. Superman having to take a care of another nice boy is boring. Make it challenging. Have a horrid boy in the family.

Incredible Member

If it isn’t Damian and Jon, the best speculation I’m seeing is...

Jon doesn’t have powers.

His adopted brother Chris does.

Superman and Lois raising their powerless biological son alongside the adopted son of Zod who does have powers.

There’s a lot of challenges baked into that. Fears. Jealousies. And then you can have a reversal of fortune.

Also creates sort of an interesting role for Cousin Alex Danvers to play in guest appearances as the “cool aunt” who gets what it means to have a sibling with superpowers.

Astonishing Member

Based on descriptions the kids sound like Jon and a gamer/ socially awkward version of Kon. Though the idea of any version of Kon being socially awkward feels wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Okay so maybe not the cleanest way to end crisis, (seriously, where’s Reverse Flash and Earth 2 Laurel? A shrink ray saved the day?).
    -I still think Lex will end up the President
    -Justice League! I guess? Are they going to call themselves that?
    -Oliver’s totally not dead
    - don’t know who Clark and Lois’s second son is, Chris? But it’s probably not Jason. Routh’s Superman is fine, smiling, flying into the camera as usual.
    -merged earth! Argo’s still around! But like I kept saying, the multiverse is still alive as ever.
    - DCEU is canon to the Arrowverse!!!!! Okay, hands down the most surprising cameo, props to Ezra Miller
    Overall a little anti-climatic, but still pretty epic. I’ll give it a 8/10
    I think Guggenheim has said they can't use the Justice League, so with the ending they might end up calling them the Super Friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    So....I have to be honest about something. I’m kind of disappointed that the second child isn’t a daughter. But I have a sneaky suspicion in the back of my mind that they wouldn’t be allowed to have a daughter because WB thinks it could threaten Supergirl being the only super powered Kryptonian girl. I have no proof of this. It’s just a nagging feeling I have based on the way they treat Supergirl and the sexism that always suggests with women that “there can only be one” etc.

I hope I’m wrong and they just really wanted to use Chris Kent and maybe contrast an adopted child with Jon. It’s a valid story to tell and, certainly, has worked very well as a model for “This is us.”

If they just made up another kid—and it’s not Chris, and they had to make it another boy...I’m kind of annoyed. Because if you are just making up another kid who has no basis in canon, there is absolutely no good reason to make it a second boy.
    I think they went wit htwo boys so they could do their own take on the Super Sons.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

This crossover wasn't without issues but to its credit it succeeded where Superman Returns failed, make Brandon Routh a great Superman.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

Just use justice battalion.

They're your Super, pun intended, Super Friends!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Guggenheim has said they can't use the Justice League, so with the ending they might end up calling them the Super Friends.
    Technically they don't have to call them anything. If it's just a place they get together once in a while when there's a world shaking crisis, it doesn't really need a name.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Guggenheim has said they can't use the Justice League,
    … which is pretty pointless considering there clearly isn't going to be another Justice League movie for many years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    … which is pretty pointless considering there clearly isn't going to be another Justice League movie for many years to come!
    I'm sure the suits at the movie division are still hedging their bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

Aren't SV Superman's children girls? There is a chance for more SV crossovers especially is Welling is difficult to get.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Technically they don't have to call them anything. If it's just a place they get together once in a while when there's a world shaking crisis, it doesn't really need a name.
    Yeah, but I think creatively they think of them as the Super Friends .

Incredible Member

So YouTube is abuzz with speculation about Routh, Berlanti, and Michael Dougherty meeting with WB to pitch a Routh helmed miniseries, likely for HBO?

The impression I’m getting is that Kingdom Come is out as the plot (thanks the Crisis’ revision of Earth-96) but something closer to All-Star Superman with a heavy Richard Donner influence is in, along with some look into how a world would look after having Superman for decades.

What follows is my speculation:

COIE effectively tees it up to be a Donner sequel and star Routh but basically absolves them of any duty to either Superman Returns or Kingdom Come. Which points towards a Donnerized All-Star, possibly with structural elements of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow...? And that gives HBO a “Based on the epic story from the writer of Watchmen” tag but in expanding it out gives them “From the twisted mind that brought you Happy!” tag.

So you get the Lois framing device but some of the episodic stuff from All-Star stitched in. And very much played as a coda to the Donnerverse. Score, title sequences, etc. handled as a faster paced homage to that.