Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'd rather not. His Superman doesn't have a Lois, Perry, or Jimmy. Routh makes sense as a template for his looks and maybe some aspects of his personality, but that's about it. Everything else associated with his version of the character is not really worth preserving.
    I just really want to see this version again. Get his own show, movie, something. Don't throw him away. I'm already disappointed with how the Smallville Clark was handled. I don't want to lose this one too.
    Assassinate Putin!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well, at least on Superman's part, baby Jon seems to be getting age up to his teens, and that likely won't age up every other character 14 years, so there's that.

And on a personal note, even with the limited screen time, relatively low importance placed on his character, and two fan service Supermen showing up, I genuinely think Hoechlin's Superman stole the show in terms of character and likability. Routh's Superman was a bit melodramatic even for these shows, and the majority of things that came out of his mouth were hamfisted callbacks ("he reminds me of my son, Jason?" How, Superman? How could that possibly be when you f%#ked off to space before Jason was even a thing let alone a baby?) Don't get me wrong, I still dug the hell out of him (though his suit in motion and with that lighting is a bit off), and I hope he throws a got damn moon at the Antimonitor before this is over, but he felt kind of hollow for me.

And I'm secretly hoping they pull a Kingdom Hearts and have Hoechlin's Superman inherent the "paragon of truth" thing at the last second. Possibility even super charge him with the essence of Routh's Superman as a call back to Reborn in a passing of the baton way. A symbolic gesture to welcome in his new show.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    and the majority of things that came out of his mouth were hamfisted callbacks ("he reminds me of my son, Jason?" How, Superman? How could that possibly be when you f%#ked off to space before Jason was even a thing let alone a baby?)
    While some version of Returns happened, it doesn't mean it happened like the version we know - for all we know this Superman came back in time for baby or toddler Jason, or Jason was born after he came back and married Lois, or who knows what. It's just fanservice moments, but not a full "Yes, this version is 100% the movie version before Man of Steel!"

And I'm secretly hoping they pull a Kingdom Hearts and have Hoechlin's Superman inherent the "paragon of truth" thing at the last second. Possibility even super charge him with the essence of Routh's Superman as a call back to Reborn in a passing of the baton way. A symbolic gesture to welcome in his new show.
    Doubtful, considering how the last episode ended...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While some version of Returns happened, it doesn't mean it happened like the version we know - for all we know this Superman came back in time for baby or toddler Jason, or Jason was born after he came back and married Lois, or who knows what. It's just fanservice moments, but not a full "Yes, this version is 100% the movie version before Man of Steel!"
    Well, till the creators of the show stop saying pretty clearly "this is Reeve's Superman" and we have more to go on, I'll continue to make the assumption I'm being told to make.

Doubtful, considering how the last episode ended...
    I'm aware of how it ended, but that doesn't really matter. There's two episodes left, and I doubt it's gonna be two full episodes of just all of them punching that dude in that power rangers looking rocky area.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Brandon Routh won't be Superman, he's leaving the Arrowverse after all of this (possibly in LOT during their season).

Believe it or not, I'm starting to feel bad for Hoechlin, he was really minimized in this crossover so far and completely upstaged by Brandon and even Welling. He looks so small and weak in comparison. But I'm just so happy my Superman Brandon looked awesome and was done justice, IMO.

Also, if Routh had no depth in this crossover (which I really disagree with), then Hoechlin has had no real depth the whole time either, because so far the story has been about his cousin Kara and how awesome and powerful she is in comparison. We haven't really seen enough of Tyler's Superman or his Lois, we have only being TOLD not SHOWN about their adventures. (BTW, Lois in this crossover was fantastic, and her chemistry with Routh was strong.. I'd like her as his Lois in something..)

At least we saw Routh in a whole movie, and I loved how this crossover continued his story in interesting and satisfying ways. I don't mind his friends and wife are dead, because you know, sh!t happens sometimes. But despite all his pain, he still endured and continued his fight for truth and justice. He wasn't corrupted like Injustice Superman or quit because he felt rejected or something. Superman never quits. Not for long. I cared about Routh's Superman before this crossover, and I care even more now. I hope he returns in more stories.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 12-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Well, at least on Superman's part, baby Jon seems to be getting age up to his teens, and that likely won't age up every other character 14 years, so there's that.

And on a personal note, even with the limited screen time, relatively low importance placed on his character, and two fan service Supermen showing up, I genuinely think Hoechlin's Superman stole the show in terms of character and likability. Routh's Superman was a bit melodramatic even for these shows, and the majority of things that came out of his mouth were hamfisted callbacks ("he reminds me of my son, Jason?" How, Superman? How could that possibly be when you f%#ked off to space before Jason was even a thing let alone a baby?) Don't get me wrong, I still dug the hell out of him (though his suit in motion and with that lighting is a bit off), and I hope he throws a got damn moon at the Antimonitor before this is over, but he felt kind of hollow for me.

Hoechlin really does do a great job with the material they give him. I thought he actually came off far better in the fight with Routh's Superman than people want to admit. And the heat vision scene and then asking Routh if he was ok was fantastic. That's more "Superman" to me than the speech about hope. Hoechlin's suit continues to suck, but he really embodies a great take on Superman.

I think Routh's Superman might be done for the crossover at this point. He hasn't shown up in any of the photos of the "final battle" that leaked from the Arrow portion.

Tulloch's Lois is doing better than both of them. I didn't really have any doubt before, but she is really on her way to embodying the role. Erica Durrance is probably still going to be my favorite version of the character, but the amount of material they've given Tulloch and the way she's handled it have really been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I thought he actually came off far better in the fight with Routh's Superman than people want to admit. And the heat vision scene and then asking Routh if he was ok was fantastic. That's more "Superman" to me than the speech about hope.
    Agreed all on counts. He just straight up fought, no matter what way you slice it, the most powerful kryptonian on these shows to date and his main concern was making sure he was okay. Outside of that fantastic heat vision moment, my personal favorite moment was when they meet Welling's Clark, and Lois and Iris seem a bit smitten, and Clark--in the most genuine nerdy and adorably self conscious-- way goes "I could do that with one hand" totally missing the point like the awesome dork he is.

I always go back to what Morrison said about how if he's Superman, really SUPERMAN, then he shouldn't be posturing or stiff. He should be the most relaxed dude there with an instant smile and a handshake till you give him reason to do otherwise. Hoechlin does that every chance they give him.

Hoechlin's suit continues to suck, but he really embodies a great take on Superman.
    Literally my only issue at this point given is new show will alleviate the lack of room he currently has to do his thing. Hopefully this follows Reborn and we end it with a new suit. I'm seriously thinking there may be temporary transferring of essence/power from Routh's Superman to Hoechlin's Superman for the final fight. Maybe Lex's role is to swallow his pride and bring in his Superman to help?

Why does everyone hate Hoechlin's suit? What's wrong with it?

I always go back to what Morrison said about how if he's Superman, really SUPERMAN, then he shouldn't be posturing or stiff. He should be the most relaxed dude there with an instant smile and a handshake till you give him reason to do otherwise. Hoechlin does that every chance they give him.
    Definitely. He has that kinda causal confidence that you'd expect. He doesn't care if he's the biggest guy in the room or the most powerful. He doesn't posture. He's not concerned with looking or being thought of as the best or special. And as much as I do think they tend to go overboard with it with Kara, he nails that genuine happiness and pride when others step up and handle things. I'm not sure how to properly articulate it, but for me at least Superman doesn't want or need to be thought of as the "best" or "strongest there is." He genuinely wants others to catch up to and exceed his example. If that makes sense.

Literally my only issue at this point given is new show will alleviate the lack of room he currently has to do his thing. Hopefully this follows Reborn and we end it with a new suit. I'm seriously thinking there may be temporary transferring of essence/power from Routh's Superman to Hoechlin's Superman for the final fight. Maybe Lex's role is to swallow his pride and bring in his Superman to help?
    I'd be surprised if they don't give him a new suit coming out of this. Supposedly the dead Superman was his stand in, and you can see that his suit is a slightly tweaked version, which they'd never craft a different suit just for that.

Also, Routh did dissipate into some red energy. If they were gonna crib from Reborn, that'd be one way to do it.

Clunky, oddly top heavy, and almost looks better with a collar. The shade of blue can't be helped given t's TV lighting and this actually makes it look better in motion (I think Routh's suit in this light make the fake muscles more obvious) but they could go a shade lighter to make it pop before it looks bad. Flash is a great example of this. That cape length is cumbersome too And the boots and the belt don't look great to me personally.

It's too muted for me color wise. And the cape clasps are ugly as hell.

Ironically, they used the clasps on Kara's new suit and it doesn't look as bad.

Along with the other comments, I look at it this way.

Consider every live-action suit. Now think about all of the aspects of Superman's suit, and think which suits bring out those features the best.

Tyler's suit is down there with Routh's Superman Returns outfit. Every feature of his suit, some other suit does it better. By rules of quasi-transitivity, Hoechlin's suit is poor.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 12-13-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typos

Clunky, oddly top heavy, and almost looks better with a collar. The shade of blue can't be helped given t's TV lighting and this actually makes it look better in motion (I think Routh's suit in this light make the fake muscles more obvious) but they could go a shade lighter to make it pop before it looks bad. Flash is a great example of this. That cape length is cumbersome too And the boots and the belt don't look great to me personally.
    Flash looks awful now, that red is way too bright for tv lighting, looks garish to me. I much preferred his earlier outfits. Red is one of those colors where a little goes a long way, and that shade is just too much.

I like Hoechlin's costume, but that's probably just because I've nothing better to compare it too - it stands above all previous tv Superman costumes to me just by dent of no trunks. Kind of hard to nitpick the rest of it when I'm just glad of the one big thing I wanted.