Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't necessarily consider this to be THE Smallville universe so much as A Smallville universe. Keep in mind, the last episode takes place in 2018. So unless this is a few years into the future, he would have had to have given up his powers within the last year. We have no idea how old his daughters are either so they could be infants or they could be toddlers. The assumption being that he gave up his powers so that he and Lois could have kids (not having an Argo to go to to make sure they don't have powers in the womb).
    I did like they mentioned Lex was president,which does fit with the last episode of the series.

I have a feeling if Rosenbaum had agreed to show up,instead of seeing the newspaper articles on the wall before we panned out to Clark we would have seen a television Screen with President Lex giving a speech ,which would have been a disappointment because I doubt they would have had he and Cryer's Lex interact, which is what I was hoping for.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Apparently he's both! He just said this isn't the first time he's fought himself!
    Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more disappointing it seems to think that this is the future of Reeve/Donner Superman. But in a world of infinite parallel universes, I'm okay with a Superman whose life started like Reeve's, moved on to Routh's, and then ended somewhat similarly to Ross/Waid's.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I don't like they basically killed the Daily Planet staff from the Reeve movies since they're pushing that Routh Superman= Reeve Superman idea, feels unnecessary to me.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily consider this to be THE Smallville universe so much as A Smallville universe. Keep in mind, the last episode takes place in 2018. So unless this is a few years into the future, he would have had to have given up his powers within the last year. We have no idea how old his daughters are either so they could be infants or they could be toddlers. The assumption being that he gave up his powers so that he and Lois could have kids (not having an Argo to go to to make sure they don't have powers in the womb).
    They didn’t need to go to Argo.

Smallville canon was that humans and kryptonians could have children with the use of BlueK. This was established in season 7 when Clark found Dax-Ur living on earth with a human and they had a child. There is a very specific beat where you see Clark process that he can be a father and he and Lois openly talked about children in season 10.

That’s why I’m truly hoping that this is not in fact a GoldK situation as many are speculating. In my mind, it’s BlueK it’s not permanent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more disappointing it seems to think that this is the future of Reeve/Donner Superman. But in a world of infinite parallel universes, I'm okay with a Superman whose life started like Reeve's, moved on to Routh's, and then ended somewhat similarly to Ross/Waid's.
    It’s sad for sure and I’ll admit that it bothers me that they murdered Kidder’s Lois Lane essentially. That’s a very grim fate for her and she deserved better than that. It’s not fair.

The only silver lining I guess is that, in this merging with Returns, they had Jason. Which is presumably why in this version of Kingdom Come....Superman has a reason to stay on as Clark Kent.

He couldn’t quit for decades—not with his son there. It doesn’t change how sad it is but at least here....he had a reason to stay for Jason and Lois lives on in their son.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I don't like they basically killed the Daily Planet staff from the Reeve movies since they're pushing that Routh Superman= Reeve Superman idea, feels unnecessary to me.
    I don't operate on the idea he's the Reeve Superman verbatim anyway. I mean, its a head canon deal, admittedly. They say he is flat out. But I can't associate them as one and the same so emotionally I don't feel like its Kidder's Lois that died, or Cooper's Perry or McClure's Jimmy. There's enough of a disconnect there that it doesn't really bother me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

yeah he appears older here unless they meant lex started as president since 2018 then add 8 years of a two time term he could retire as superman around the year 2024. Cause it wouldnt make sense if its the year 2019. cause he is already greying in yesterday episode
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Yeah, my head-canon is basically that on Earth Prime (ours), some creepy Hollywood director caused Reeve's timeline to split into two: one path that went off into Superman III and Superman IV, and another that went into Superman Returns. And then, a bunch of executives at a small network caused the Superman Returns timeline to split, with one path's breaking off wildly and colliding with the Kingdom Come parallel universe, causing a lot of coincidences between this Superman Returns Alternate universe and the Waid/Ross Superman.

In short, Routh is the Reeve/Donner Superman, but not the only one.

Well, I would say that it *is* Earth-96, not Earth-78. It's not even Earth-06. So that last point you made is where I hang my hat, so to speak.

Yeah, my head-canon is basically that on Earth Prime (ours), some creepy Hollywood director caused Reeve's timeline to split into two: one path that went off into Superman III and Superman IV, and another that went into Superman Returns. And then, a bunch of executives at a small network caused the Superman Returns timeline to split, with one path's breaking off wildly and colliding with the Kingdom Come parallel universe, causing a lot of coincidences between this Superman Returns Alternate universe and the Waid/Ross Superman.

In short, Routh is the Reeve/Donner Superman, but not the only one.
    Three, actually - one went i,ii,iii,iv... one went i,ii,sr, and a third went i,ii,iii,iv,alt sr, and alt kc.

Three splits... this is giving me Legend of Zelda timeline vibes. In that case, I'm waiting for "Superman: Breath of the Wild" lol
    Last edited by JAK; 12-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't operate on the idea he's the Reeve Superman verbatim anyway. I mean, its a head canon deal, admittedly. They say he is flat out. But I can't associate them as one and the same so emotionally I don't feel like its Kidder's Lois that died, or Cooper's Perry or McClure's Jimmy. There's enough of a disconnect there that it doesn't really bother me.
    He isn't the Reeves Superman at all, he's the Kingdom Come Superman. That bit about killing off Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and the rest was straight out of that comic book, as is his costume and hair. He is NOT playing the same Superman that he did in Superman Returns. The only reason you might think he is playing a Reeves version is that he always gave off that vibe when playing the character, that wholesome, trustworthy, everything is going to be fine thing he does. So...you would never have even seen the Kingdom Come Superman's Lois, (he certainly didn't seem to recognize the version standing in front of him).

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Three splits... this is giving me Legend of Zelda timeline vibes. In that case, I'm waiting for "Superman: Breath of the Wild" lol
    I'm not a fan of the Legend of Zelda timeline, but I admit I totally ripped it off when I came up with my Reeve Superman timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He isn't the Reeves Superman at all, he's the Kingdom Come Superman. That bit about killing off Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and the rest was straight out of that comic book, as is his costume and hair. He is NOT playing the same Superman that he did in Superman Returns. The only reason you might think he is playing a Reeves version is that he always gave off that vibe when playing the character, that wholesome, trustworthy, everything is going to be fine thing he does. So...you would never have even seen the Kingdom Come Superman's Lois, (he certainly didn't seem to recognize the version standing in front of him).
    You can make the argument that he's also not really THE Kingdom Come Superman, either. Are they really going to say all that happened to KC Supes also happened to Routh's Superman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    This is not correct. Routh has explicitly said that this is a “coda” to his Superman and he confirms the existence of his son, Jason, to Lois. His son with Lois Lane exists in this universe. He is a melding of the Reeve/Returns canon with a KC outcome which is why some people are expressing sadness. Because that’s a very sad outcome.

As for him not recognizing Lois....except he did recognize her. She doesn’t look exactly like his wife because this multiverse has established that doppelgängers do not always look exactly the same but he clearly felt a connection with her and recognized her as Lois even if she wasn’t his Lois. That was why they played “Can you read my mind?” Love theme under their meeting.

You watched the episode, right?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Keep in mind we're talking about infinite universes here. A Donner-esque Superman is not the same thing as THE Donner Superman. Anymore than a Smallville-esque universe is THE Smallville universe. Both Smallville and the Superboy series established the concept of multiverses. Do we really believe that Earth 66 is the Adam West universe? Or that Earth 89 is the Burton-verse? Or that Earth 9 is the Titans TV show universe?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Keep in mind we're talking about infinite universes here. A Donner-esque Superman is not the same thing as THE Donner Superman. Anymore than a Smallville-esque universe is THE Smallville universe. Both Smallville and the Superboy series established the concept of multiverses. Do we really believe that Earth 66 is the Adam West universe? Or that Earth 89 is the Burton-verse? Or that Earth 9 is the Titans TV show universe?
    Yes, because that's the whole point of including them. The only Earth I think there's a little wiggle room on is 96, and that's because it references both branching strands of the Donnerverse so it could be seen as a 'refined' homage to the intended spirit of those movies rather than a literal continuation that somehow squares that circle. And even that's just in terms of persnickety continuity, it's still obviously supposed to be That Guy with all those associations and the idea of this being how he ultimately turned out.
    Buh-bye

I loved Routh in tonight's episode. His explanation for the black in his S was great.