Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    ... That's kind of my issue with the relaunch. The high concept, plots and themes are fascinating, but the characters... They aren't having normal reactions based on their personalities, histories, relationships with those around them. So, the books are coming across... like everyone is living in a false utopia that brainwashes people... Allowing some more friction and grit would fix 99% of it for me.
    They ARE! And couldn't the latter, seeming peculiarities you point out, intentionally be part of the former, larger scheme of things?

It's early yet, internal conflict will likely develop, the further we get along. Once the novelty wears off, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    … Everyone accepting everything so easily is weird. It lacks characters questioning and not agreeing with this. ...
    You think that's by accident? In story, why could that be, what could cause such a seemingly strange, widespread phenomenon?

Somethin' less all-out Xavier/Jean/Emma/Bets brainwashin', via traditional TP, and more akin to say... Gambit's purported hypnotic charm, perhaps? Ya know, like the power of suggestion.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Ç
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    They ARE! And couldn't the latter, seeming peculiarities you point out, intentionally be part of the former, larger scheme of things?

It's early yet, internal conflict will likely develop, the further we get along. Once the novelty wears off, so to speak.

You think that's by accident? In story, why could that be, what could cause such a seemingly strange, widespread phenomenon?

Somethin' less all-out Xavier/Jean/Emma/Bets brainwashin', via traditional TP, and more akin to say... Gambit's purported hypnotic charm, perhaps? Ya know, like the power of suggestion.
    I’m wondering if it will begin to be noticeable, somewhere further down the line, that those who live, or go off the island a lot, start acting differently to those who are always on the Island?
    Ditto those with self healing powers (eg. Laura, Logan, Gabby).

In a normal storytelling, the author leaves evidences of brainwashing, mind-control (like some people are surprised by the strange behaviour…). It doesn't last many issues neither. Otherwise, if it's the case, it would be unbelievable, coming out of nowhere.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

"Opposition safe space in danger of being compromised."

X-Force #2 was a seesaw of favor/disfavor for me. Firestar as a Krakoan was a downer, though Logan's "Mutants ain't gods, [humans] ain't devils" give me a Hope Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I’m wondering if it will begin to be noticeable, somewhere further down the line, that those who live, or go off the island a lot, start acting differently to those who are always on the Island?
    This was kind of brought up in Fallen Angels #2. Kwannon discusses the possibility that she and her companions, constantly leaving Krakoa despite the lock-down for unofficial unsanctioned business might turn the other Krakoans against them for spending too much time around humans.
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 11-27-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

BANNED

Yeah, for now, I think:

… it'll remain in the background.

Good call on the possibilities of how & who, regarding those that may become... less susceptible.

BANNED

Ç

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    This was kind of brought up in Fallen Angels #2. Kwannon discusses the possibility that she and her companions, constantly leaving Krakoa despite the lock-down for unofficial unsanctioned business might turn the other Krakoans against them for spending too much time around humans.
    It's funny both of you should say that, just taking Dazzler's line into account (which comes right after Kwannon points that out,) where she says "There's joy here..."

Like, yeah, it leads into Kwannon's next line about Joy not being enough for everyone, but ya know...subtle foreshadowing maybe?

BANNED

Yeah, for now, I think:

… it'll remain in the background.

Good call on the possibilities of how & who, regarding those that may become... less susceptible.
    Yeah, gotta say, the thought of a giant tree that can see everything I do whenever they wanted wouldn't exactly put me at ease...

Look at 'em...like a vaguely pissed off Santa...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    In a normal storytelling, the author leaves evidence...
    I think there has been subtle hints given, all throughout HoX/PoX/DoX & during XF #1 in particular, leading one to believe that the island's not all it's Krak'd up to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, gotta say, the thought of a giant tree that can see everything I do whenever they wanted wouldn't exactly put me at ease...
    Unless you're hidden from it, like...

… the puppet-master is.

I have had to go through and delete a lot of posts that were simply not constructive or productive in terms of civil conversation/discussion.
    This does not make me particularly happy.

I am closing this thread for now. The X-Mods can reopen it at their discretion - I just think a number of people need to rethink their attitudes and need to cool off.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

It's been 24 hours now. Thread is re-opened but Matt is correct, stay on topic and don't turn this into another pointless argument.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Unless you're hidden from it, like...

… the puppet-master is.
    I can't get over how Moira looks like some teenager.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Sliding timeline shenanigans and the insistence that those decades' worth of stories were ultra-compressed into an in-universe period of a just 10 years or so.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I can't get over how Moira looks like some teenager.
    A lot of men have problems to draw women' faces with a personality. It's pretty but the result is rather interchangeable: round face, big, wide-apart eyes… no specific trait. The former Moira was more a 'person'.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

I've just thought of something I'd like to add:

I'd love to see a much less militant stance/attitude present between characters. Or, at least, much more variation of it; I want to see their reasonings one way or another on a much more personal level, how does/has it impacted them? Beyond just the headlines and data pages, that is.

I feel like even just a quick recap on one panel would help properly set the intended tone...