Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    How about we turn this on its head? If you like the relaunch, or even just a little part of it, is there some change or twist that would set you off or get you to drop the book? It can be super specific or limited to one book if you like.
    I really do like Excalibur, but that said if they try to dance around the whole thing of Shogo living as a human on a mutant island by, say, just having him stay in otherworld as a dragon, or if Jubilee decides "You'd be happier here than with me," then that'd be it.

It'd be a lazy cop out, for one, but pretty much proof that Krakoa isn't the tolerant, loving place it's being made out to be.

On that kind of note, I'm more afraid they'll suddenly reveal him to be a mutant. Would still feel like a cop out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    On that kind of note, I'm more afraid they'll suddenly reveal him to be a mutant. Would still feel like a cop out.
    Aw man, I'm mixed about that too!

On the one hand, I adore Shogo and would love for him to be in a position where we can officially say "Ok, he's staying forever, thank god!" but on the other that is such a lazy move. Not to mention it's really gonna obliterate what little nuance we have to begin with!

On second thought, that question about what would ruin things is a bit too negative and leading. Let's try to be more constructive.

I get the feeling we'll all have a LOT more to talk about after INCOMING

I know this has probably been said, but I'm going to say it again: The two things I most dislike about the relaunch and how I'd change them

1. Even though the death and resurrection may be a traumatic experience, I still believe that having that process there takes away some of the gravity of the danger the mutants face in situations. And I can't help but now think of them all now as clones (Maybe not Kitty, not yet anyways). I feel like the resurrection process should be done away with. Hickman reset the board and brought back so many, but they dont have to keep being brought back.

2. Almost every villain is now in krakoa. Some of them still have their own plans and plots, but honestly, except for Sabretooth, the X-Men were okay with people like Selene and Sinister joining their ranks? Also, there should have been more X-villains that were uninterested or actively opposed to the idealism of Kraokoa. The number shown so far is sparse. Interestingly enough I think how Apocalypse has been written in the event and Excalibur actually works, his motives have been achieved and there's still tension between him and some X-men. As much as I'm enjoying Sinister being part of this game, I can't wait for his own plans to be revealed when he finally, eventually breaks from the main society. And I still don't even know what to say about Selene. Emplate is similar but he's family, also, Emplate has always been tortured by his actions and needs, but he does it because he has to. Selene revels in it. How can peace be kept with that indefinitely?

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

That's the point. It can't, but somehow Krakoa will still survive somehow even when the cracks open wide, because that is the new default setting, the one supposedly being sold as the X-Men starting point for the MCU. It begins with Krakoa, not Westchester, not anymore.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    That's the point. It can't, but somehow Krakoa will still survive somehow even when the cracks open wide, because that is the new default setting, the one supposedly being sold as the X-Men starting point for the MCU. It begins with Krakoa, not Westchester, not anymore.
    What makes you think that?

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Forum discussion. Apparently HoxPoxDox (particularly Dox) is also being treated as a movie pitch, since Feige became the new overall Chief Creative Officer of Marvel.

Before that, there was some serious disconnect between Marvel Studios and Comics even when the latter tried to incorporate film ideas for synergy. Such as when early previews of "Captain Marvel" seemed like Carol lived with the Kree most of her life (with fabricated Earth memories), the creative team for her title decided to make the comics-her half-Kree. Then the film came out and she was a human and alien abductee all along.

Since Dox was starting up when Feige was given his new responsibility...
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Forum discussion. Apparently HoxPoxDox (particularly Dox) is also being treated as a movie pitch, since Feige became the new overall Chief Creative Officer of Marvel.

Before that, there was some serious disconnect between Marvel Studios and Comics even when the latter tried to incorporate film ideas for synergy. Such as when early previews of "Captain Marvel" seemed like Carol lived with the Kree most of her life (with fabricated Earth memories), the creative team for her title decided to make the comics-her half-Kree. Then the film came out and she was a human and alien abductee all along.

Since Dox was starting up when Feige was given his new responsibility...
    Ok, well, here's the thing: posters here are in no way, shape or form directly involved with what's going on at Marvel. They might hope and wish with all their hearts, but until we see it for ourselves then we treat it as it is; fantastical fallacy. Even then, the majority of posters here only represent a small portion of the population and aren't anywhere near as objective as they might believe.

What Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics agrees between them is, literally, up to them.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

While i'm intrigued by Hickman's idea, my ideal X-Men relaunch would be like this:

-In a world were we had SHRA, people with powers of all kind(metahumans, mutants, inhumans etc), being anti-mutant is silly, so i would have mutants being semi-accepted in USA, sort of parallels with afroamerican community in late 60s-early 70s. Instead of anti-mutant groups or politicians, i would have anti-powers groups and i would have X-Men as an accepted team, with a legal school of training mutants to be useful or keep their powers in check.

-I would play more with inequality among mutants. Some, who are not monstrous or ugly in appearence would be more acceptable in comparion to mutants who their mutation is physical.Also, what is the possition of mutants who has useless powers or can't fit in superheroics, how they fit in a mutant society and what is their place in a semi accepted mutant community in US?

-While in the United States, mutants are more or less accepted, i would use X-Men to protect mutants outside of the States and give a more worldly view about the human-mutant relationship. How is the life of a mutant in Russia or China? How a mutant would fair in a muslim world, where extremism is on the rise(would be viewed as God's miracle or would be viewed as a cursed individual and we will have a muslim equivelant of the Purifiers?)? Will governments try to exploit them as super-soldiers or use them in a local war?
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I know this has probably been said, but I'm going to say it again: The two things I most dislike about the relaunch and how I'd change them

1. Even though the death and resurrection may be a traumatic experience, I still believe that having that process there takes away some of the gravity of the danger the mutants face in situations. And I can't help but now think of them all now as clones (Maybe not Kitty, not yet anyways). I feel like the resurrection process should be done away with. Hickman reset the board and brought back so many, but they dont have to keep being brought back.

2. Almost every villain is now in krakoa. Some of them still have their own plans and plots, but honestly, except for Sabretooth, the X-Men were okay with people like Selene and Sinister joining their ranks? Also, there should have been more X-villains that were uninterested or actively opposed to the idealism of Kraokoa. The number shown so far is sparse. Interestingly enough I think how Apocalypse has been written in the event and Excalibur actually works, his motives have been achieved and there's still tension between him and some X-men. As much as I'm enjoying Sinister being part of this game, I can't wait for his own plans to be revealed when he finally, eventually breaks from the main society. And I still don't even know what to say about Selene. Emplate is similar but he's family, also, Emplate has always been tortured by his actions and needs, but he does it because he has to. Selene revels in it. How can peace be kept with that indefinitely?
    Those are pretty common things people dislike. The resurrections feel like clones, so its hard to take character work with them seriously, especially when clones have been done to death in works like Spiderman. They also make every action beat barring the ones with Kitty have no stakes.

And the villain stuff feels like "let's do this obvious bad idea and wait for it to explode in our faces in 6 months!"

The movie talk might want to be its own topic. DoX feels like a terrible starting point for X-men to be introduced into the MCS. Krakoa is an extreme response to the multiple waves of horror mutants have experienced, and that just hasn't happened in the movies. I've decoratively referred to Krakoa as a 'hidden elf village', and dropping mutants into the MCU already on Krakoa would make them exactly that.
    Last edited by pkingdom; 12-09-2019 at 01:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    While i'm intrigued by Hickman's idea, my ideal X-Men relaunch would be like this:

-In a world were we had SHRA, people with powers of all kind(metahumans, mutants, inhumans etc), being anti-mutant is silly, so i would have mutants being semi-accepted in USA, sort of parallels with afroamerican community in late 60s-early 70s. Instead of anti-mutant groups or politicians, i would have anti-powers groups and i would have X-Men as an accepted team, with a legal school of training mutants to be useful or keep their powers in check.

-I would play more with inequality among mutants. Some, who are not monstrous or ugly in appearence would be more acceptable in comparion to mutants who their mutation is physical.Also, what is the possition of mutants who has useless powers or can't fit in superheroics, how they fit in a mutant society and what is their place in a semi accepted mutant community in US?

-While in the United States, mutants are more or less accepted, i would use X-Men to protect mutants outside of the States and give a more worldly view about the human-mutant relationship. How is the life of a mutant in Russia or China? How a mutant would fair in a muslim world, where extremism is on the rise(would be viewed as God's miracle or would be viewed as a cursed individual and we will have a muslim equivelant of the Purifiers?)? Will governments try to exploit them as super-soldiers or use them in a local war?
    Now that sounds like a really fascinating, not to mention hyper-relevant take! I've always seen some of these points sort of skimmed-over in narrative but never really delved into!

Its been a while, and several issues and developments have happened. Anything you would like to change? Or something specific you'd like to see?

BANNED

Less dramatic posturing.

C'mon, we're past the point of just establishing a nation here: What's the long term plan? What does it mean to be a mutant nation? How does this impact the rest of the world? What are some goals, some policies, however big or small?

We're at least 4 issues in to each series and the only actual political advancement we've seen is from Betsy Braddock being officially recognised as Captain Britain.

What's Chuck been chatting about in all these political meetings he's been going to? Have they just been formal dinners where he literally poses for photo's and sips champagne or have there been any plans for negotiations of any kind? How does Krakoa's presence effect the relationships between mutants and humans beyond bigots organising rallies with hateful signs? What about more blended families, maybe even mutants who don't want to go or don't feel that Krakoa is right for them once they get there? Are there outreach programs planned? Reliefs? Charity bake-sales of some kind??

For all the talk of how inferior human institutions are, I'm not seeing any actual idea of how to better them?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Less dramatic posturing.

C'mon, we're past the point of just establishing a nation here: What's the long term plan? What does it mean to be a mutant nation? How does this impact the rest of the world? What are some goals, some policies, however big or small?

We're at least 4 issues in to each series and the only actual political advancement we've seen is from Betsy Braddock being officially recognised as Captain Britain.
    I think we've had an answer to most of these questions, maybe not a definitive answer but they have all been touched upon.

What's Chuck been chatting about in all these political meetings he's been going to? Have they just been formal dinners where he literally poses for photo's and sips champagne or have there been any plans for negotiations of any kind?
    We saw in X-Force it was a emissary mission. Chuck posed for photos with Sakovian's(?) and was then assassinated most likely due to the Sakovian's placing a tracker in his beverage. I X-Men today he confronted nations about that act and stated there will be repercussions moving forward.

How does Krakoa's presence effect the relationships between mutants and humans beyond bigots organising rallies with hateful signs? What about more blended families, maybe even mutants who don't want to go or don't feel that Krakoa is right for them once they get there? Are there outreach programs planned? Reliefs? Charity bake-sales of some kind??
    We've seen cults that basically worship Krakoa/Mutants. We saw pharma companies wanting to co-op the drugs in HoX and we obviously saw the attack on Krakoa as for how it is effecting the mutant/human dynamic.

We've seen blended family in New Mutants with Beak and Angel and her parents, also the effects drugs are having. Both in a literal sense (Angel's father was healed) and that human's want steal and sell them They also touched upon mutants who don't want to go as Beak and Angel wanted to stay and care for her father. I don't know about bake sales, but if a mutant doesn't want to go to Krakoa why would there be a fundraiser for them? Xavier is the wealthiest person on the planet so he can pretty much do what needs to be done in terms of money.

For all the talk of how inferior human institutions are, I'm not seeing any actual idea of how to better them?
    This one I will admit has not been covered very well. I suppose you could consider the Sextant a new exploration in education, it is definitely not the traditional western method.

I made a comment in the X-Men #4 thread today about how the issue wasn't as decompressed as much as usual. I think that the way comics are written/how the story is told is part of the issue. There are only so many pages in the books and honestly what you want is valid, but it is a lot of ground to cover.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.