Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Everything you write is absolutely ripe for discourse, and excellent content for a political “Quiet Council” book... which is among the things I’d have changed in DoX.

“New Mutants” would be a seasonal “annual” type book that features one-and-done stories about those kinds of concepts and starring the Quiet Council, its Captains, and those mutants who challenge them.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Has Krakoa’s “mutant-draining” history and assumed present deal been mentioned or otherwise acknowledged?

I’m not necessarily opposed to Krakoa draining mutants en masse. With a few thousand active mutants on the island, the “drain” might be .01% or so... less so with Omegas residing there. Citizens of all states give something to their governments. Mutant tax is “life force”.
    I think it was a data page in either X-men or New Mutants.

*obligatory complaint about data pages here

I have to agree about resurrections. I've said it before, but it bears repeating that it sucks the tension out of every series. Plus, it really is drawing my attention to how often they are mowing down human mooks lately. Most other hero books don't have the main characters killing people willy-nilly like this, even when they are heavily armed and trying to kill them. I thought that the 'Kill No Man' thing was supposed to be acknowledging that because they are immortal now, its wrong for them to take mortal, finite life. When your characters are 1) immortal, and 2) extremely powerful, them mowing down waves of faceless mooks every week isn't dramatic, its kind of nasty.

X-force is the biggest offender of this on both fronts. When they had the terrorist attack in the first issue, the story wanted you to care that 30 or so faceless mutants died. Except with the resurrections, that doesn't matter at all. But when faceless humans die from mutant hands, its supposed to be...I don't know. Not great, but mostly not focused on. You'd think losing those human allies a couple of issues ago would be a bigger deal, too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I think it was a data page in either X-men or New Mutants.

*obligatory complaint about data pages here

I have to agree about resurrections. I've said it before, but it bears repeating that it sucks the tension out of every series. Plus, it really is drawing my attention to how often they are mowing down human mooks lately. Most other hero books don't have the main characters killing people willy-nilly like this, even when they are heavily armed and trying to kill them. I thought that the 'Kill No Man' thing was supposed to be acknowledging that because they are immortal now, its wrong for them to take mortal, finite life. When your characters are 1) immortal, and 2) extremely powerful, them mowing down waves of faceless mooks every week isn't dramatic, its kind of nasty.

X-force is the biggest offender of this on both fronts. When they had the terrorist attack in the first issue, the story wanted you to care that 30 or so faceless mutants died. Except with the resurrections, that doesn't matter at all. But when faceless humans die from mutant hands, its supposed to be...I don't know. Not great, but mostly not focused on. You'd think losing those human allies a couple of issues ago would be a bigger deal, too.
    Could this not be sort of the point, though? No matter what the X-Men say or do, they're sort of tsking their new found "immortality" for granted. And who can blame them?

But we don't even really know how it works and neither do they but everyone acts like it's a free spin.

Doesn't help that it feels like the mutants are unleashing a lot of pent up anger that maybe they couldn't express when they were playing superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Could this not be sort of the point, though? No matter what the X-Men say or do, they're sort of tsking their new found "immortality" for granted. And who can blame them?

But we don't even really know how it works and neither do they but everyone acts like it's a free spin.

Doesn't help that it feels like the mutants are unleashing a lot of pent up anger that maybe they couldn't express when they were playing superhero.
    Mutants? X-men? The mutants weren't never heroes, X-men were…

It's not forbidden to express anger, it's even sane. It's a problem if the anger seems to be the driving force behind actions. It's that plagued Magneto since the beginning…

For me, it's the lack of plurality of views that bothers me more in this run. Not everyone has the same history and not everyone should express the same feelings…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

X-Universe - Hickman+Silva/Deodato

This is a high concept, worldbuilding (quite literally), flagship book that sets the dynamic and deals with mutant affairs getting global. Not just world wide but galaxy wide if not universe wide. Establishing formal relations with Shi'ar and what that means for the international relations on the Earth. More insight to where Krakoan relationship with Atlantis, Wakanda, Latveria, Lemuria and Olympia stand and why. Personal aspects would mostly materialize in response to the clash of ideals when these larger than life developments will require pragmatism and objectivity over principles and nobility, which is something not everyone can simply accept and live with.
    Villains: transhumans with a better design and characterization than what was given; ecofascists more imposing than this bad joke whoretheculture; tensions with governments that will result in SHIELD recognizing Krakoa as borderline rogue state due to political intrigue, not without Orchis' help of course due to the fact that Orchis' operatives may still be active in SHIELD itself. I could see SWORD still sympathizing with mutants tho. And that no ending well for Abigail Brand, exploring the "dual loyalty" them right here.

X-Men - Hickman/Carey+Larraz/Eaton (really wanted Mann here, but IIRC he's DC exclusive now, gotta keep that one "realistic" just because)

A book that will try to explore if being a superhero in its classic sense is still possible in divided and strained by political tensions world. Can they look after the simple man in need, or just deal with a threat only those gifted with power can when this division is taking place? The answer could be not to fight mutant or human villains but simply villains like High Evolutionary, Sauron, Wendigo, Ngarai, Mojo, Children of the Vault and others. But is it feasible to be just superheroes now when they are affiliated with the most controversial state on planet? Can they build bridges between the societies through this selfless and purely well-intentioned endeavor? This is something I think worth exploring.

X-Force - K/Y(or)Bunn+Lashley/Opena

Love the idea of mutant Mossad and its division to analysts/field operatives (but I can't say anything positive about the execution of the book). Instead of the actual attack being the focal point, it should've been the prevention of it. An attack that already happened is just another Genosha all over again. The only reason why these fltascans didn't carry some sort of micro nuclear device or other WMD was just as forced and far-fetched as normies with guns putting the nation of superpeople on its knees. So to me, Krakoans already know they will be attacked. And they already work to prevent it. Telepaths are pulling a Minority Report and provide analysts with the data they gathered from the world's mindscape, and then the analysts decide which "criminal thought" is about to eventuate into a "criminal action" and in accordance to their deduction should be given then to the executors to then commit preemptive measures. Provocative? It's mutant Mossad, it is so a priori. And of course the questions of moral implications must be asked and explored in story.

X-Corp - Gillen+Pachecho/Weaver

Instead of Hellfire Trading Company, I'd rather have X-corp as the Krakoan economic representative and HFC, after the mutants left their spots vacant, now with a newly assembled Inner Circle, becoming its "competitor". Think about Club's non mutant members that are finally relieved from mutant dominance within their ranks yet still want to maintain the same global influence so instead of seeking to simply sabotage Krakoan economic activity they would rather see it claimed for their own distribution since the product has value and demand. Dragging down Frost and Shaw in process will just be a pleasant bonus for some due to several past misdeeds by the duo.

X-Factor - PAD+Benitez/Di Giandomenico

Those that didn't fall for the Krakoan "koolaid" of sorts. Mutant nomads on a road trip to find their own place in the world or/and find out if that's still possible for them.

neXt Generation - Priest+Bachalo/Pichelli

Krakoan Academy X. Exploration of growing up, adolescence and coming to terms with mutant experience and responsibilities... or not.
    Last edited by adamTPTK; 02-06-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typos/additions/clarifications

Reading over your ideas for books is interesting. At the very least, if it were me I would have re-titled some of the books we are getting. Marauders would be Hellfire, because its just a book about the ego competition between Emma and Shaw. New Mutants would be Starjammers.

Your mention of pragmatism and conventional heroics has made me think. Nothing the X-men are doing can be considered conventional superheroics. The closest thing is weirdly Fallen Angels, but that was such a mess I don't know what they were going for. In the other books, 'pragmatism' seems to be the way of things. Nobody is really taking what could be considered and idealistic or moral stance on anything. Everything is dark, everyone is manipulating, lying or murdering for 'the good of mutantkind'. Even New Mutants has them mind controlling Beak, and attempting to stake a claim to the Shiar throne.

When I was younger I would have been one of those 'Silly rabbit, idealism is for kids!' people. You have to get nasty and mean to get what you want. But now that attitude seems immature. I wish we had something that was straight up inspiring or heroic. These days I mostly get that from Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and Unstoppable Wasp.

Oh, and another, smaller change: show us what daily life is like on Krakoa. I still find it hard to think of people actually living on this place. Most scenes make it look like they're just camping in some weird jungle or tree fort. Are there not like buildings or roads?

Character Voices - I feel like the characters need to stick out more. A lot of them sound the same. Even, I feel "accents" that characters have been dropped in favor of everyone speaking perfect English. These days it's "I was listening to the radio all day" vs someone who used to talk like "I was listenin' to the radio al'day." (Or something - even like the Scottish accent for Wolfsbane, Moira, etc - seemed to have slacked off). Simple tricks like that can give a character a different voice.

Character Personality - With everyone sounding the same, their personalities are all coming across the same. For example, Roberto (Sunspot) used to have that Latino flirting thing; now he comes off... kind of creepy. There's no class to anyone. Wolverine and Nightcrawler might as well be the same people, just different powers.

That's where I'd start. Because I could probably go much longer into the things I, as a fan, would like to see.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    With characters like Monet and how many others (who's names escape me at the moment) who have had their life forces drained against their will, why would they willingly sign up for something that is going to do the same? How is it to be trusted that Krakoa wont take too much, or start mainlining certain mutants who have stronger life forces. Money is one thing...life essence is something completely different, yeah they can be resurrected...but why force yourself into that process if you dont have to? Even being a minute amount, doesn't anyone question how that would play out over the long term?
    Then we have the mutants who do it to live like Empath and Selene...why is it ok for Krakoa and not them? There's lots of moral ambiguity in the process that seems like it is ripe for challenging.
    Those are some really good points actually; I feel like that deserves a book all on its' own? ...Maybe Selene realises this very fact and questions it herself?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Character Voices - I feel like the characters need to stick out more. A lot of them sound the same. Even, I feel "accents" that characters have been dropped in favor of everyone speaking perfect English. These days it's "I was listening to the radio all day" vs someone who used to talk like "I was listenin' to the radio al'day." (Or something - even like the Scottish accent for Wolfsbane, Moira, etc - seemed to have slacked off). Simple tricks like that can give a character a different voice.

Character Personality - With everyone sounding the same, their personalities are all coming across the same. For example, Roberto (Sunspot) used to have that Latino flirting thing; now he comes off... kind of creepy. There's no class to anyone. Wolverine and Nightcrawler might as well be the same people, just different powers.

That's where I'd start. Because I could probably go much longer into the things I, as a fan, would like to see.
    10000% with you; something's really missing in that regard!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Reading over your ideas for books is interesting. At the very least, if it were me I would have re-titled some of the books we are getting. Marauders would be Hellfire, because its just a book about the ego competition between Emma and Shaw. New Mutants would be Starjammers.

Your mention of pragmatism and conventional heroics has made me think. Nothing the X-men are doing can be considered conventional superheroics. The closest thing is weirdly Fallen Angels, but that was such a mess I don't know what they were going for. In the other books, 'pragmatism' seems to be the way of things. Nobody is really taking what could be considered and idealistic or moral stance on anything. Everything is dark, everyone is manipulating, lying or murdering for 'the good of mutantkind'. Even New Mutants has them mind controlling Beak, and attempting to stake a claim to the Shiar throne.

When I was younger I would have been one of those 'Silly rabbit, idealism is for kids!' people. You have to get nasty and mean to get what you want. But now that attitude seems immature. I wish we had something that was straight up inspiring or heroic. These days I mostly get that from Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and Unstoppable Wasp.

Oh, and another, smaller change: show us what daily life is like on Krakoa. I still find it hard to think of people actually living on this place. Most scenes make it look like they're just camping in some weird jungle or tree fort. Are there not like buildings or roads?
    In terms of titles, I thought keeping it streamlined and distinguishably branded, though neXt Generation was clearly a standard deviation lol no adjectives too because there's a different take that isn't about the tone, but about the concept and every title should reflect that.
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of blunt superheroics but I thought it was appropriate to delve into the message behind it here. I agree though as all characters seem to be mouth pieces rather than personalities and I kinda get bored of it. I'd like to see more clash of ideals. That's why I love Decimation era. They had some poignant conversations about the moral implications and survival without too much derailment. But we had a group of much more competent writers too. That's the exact reason I used my favorites from that era because I'm 100% positive they would do far better job at giving the Krakoa concept justice than what we witness now.
    I agree, getting older I started to respect "no kill" stances much more. It's also more a more logical way to act because no society or government would have authorized or tolerated killers running wild, not in the West at least.
    Oh yeah, for all the talk of mutant culture, I see nothing of substance. I loved the concept of green energy and technology, but where do we see how was it possible to build civilization on that? What is the alternative way to ours?

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    In terms of titles, I thought keeping it streamlined and distinguishably branded, though neXt Generation was clearly a standard deviation lol no adjectives too because there's a different take that isn't about the tone, but about the concept and every title should reflect that.
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of blunt superheroics but I thought it was appropriate to delve into the message behind it here. I agree though as all characters seem to be mouth pieces rather than personalities and I kinda get bored of it. I'd like to see more clash of ideals. That's why I love Decimation era. They had some poignant conversations about the moral implications and survival without too much derailment. But we had a group of much more competent writers too. That's the exact reason I used my favorites from that era because I'm 100% positive they would do far better job at giving the Krakoa concept justice than what we witness now.
    I agree, getting older I started to respect "no kill" stances much more. It's also more a more logical way to act because no society or government would have authorized or tolerated killers running wild, not in the West at least.
    Oh yeah, for all the talk of mutant culture, I see nothing of substance. I loved the concept of green energy and technology, but where do we see how was it possible to build civilization on that? What is the alternative way to ours?
    Its similar to the James Cameron movie Avatar. They didn't work for any kind of green technology, Xavier got Krakoa to just give it to them all. And so far we have three villain groups (Hordeculture, Terra Verde and the Flower Cartel in the upcoming Wolverine books) who are using that, so that wrecks any kind of science vs. nature theme they had going. So its less 'green technology' and more 'only WE can have it'

Anyone else enjoy the previous Uncanny run more than the current books? I thought I’d like DoX more, but I’ve been bored and I don’t know why. What did Rosenberg’s crazy run have that made it more enjoyable for me that these current books don’t? I’m trying to figure it out, but I can’t articulate why.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 02-06-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Formatting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Anyone else enjoy the previous Uncanny run more than the current books? I thought I’d like DoX more, but I’ve been bored and I don’t know why. What did Rosenberg’s crazy run have that made it more enjoyable for me that these current books don’t? I’m trying to figure it out, but I can’t articulate why.
    As someone who’s also retroactively enjoying Rosenberg’s run? (And, believe me, I despised it before all this) I think it might be because of the quieter moments. There moments where, when the battle is done and the characters get a chance to reflect on what went wrong and just...be together. Seeing Scott actually struggle in wanting to change without compromising who he is...or rather, seeing him want to learn...the quiet moments between him and Logan or anyone else...

The sense of family, actually, rather than like...’neighbourhood’. Like; everyone was holed up in this dingy little place, a horrid little dive really; but seeing Scott doing his damndest to make it feel like a home and spur camaraderie when he could was really so heartwarming.

I think that’s what’s missing in this current run; a genuine sense of family between characters, that chemistry in their interactions?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    As someone who’s also retroactively enjoying Rosenberg’s run? (And, believe me, I despised it before all this) I think it might be because of the quieter moments. There moments where, when the battle is done and the characters get a chance to reflect on what went wrong and just...be together. Seeing Scott actually struggle in wanting to change without compromising who he is...or rather, seeing him want to learn...the quiet moments between him and Logan or anyone else...

The sense of family, actually, rather than like...’neighbourhood’. Like; everyone was holed up in this dingy little place, a horrid little dive really; but seeing Scott doing his damndest to make it feel like a home and spur camaraderie when he could was really so heartwarming.

I think that’s what’s missing in this current run; a genuine sense of family between characters, that chemistry in their interactions?
    Krakoa kinda feels too big for my liking. Everyone's somewhere else all the time, which makes sense for what they're going for, but it makes their interactions and relationships feel hollow—when they have them. It's so strange, they're closer than ever in context of the overall story, but they don't feel like a family anymore. So weird! Like Fast & Furious, I need my faaaaamily, Vin. It's about family.

I also wish they had a much more interesting goal other than "gain sovereignty". It kinda stems down to Hickman's writing being long-term. I liked it in Avengers, but here it's ultra, mega boring. I was originally going to drop Marauders for Wolverine, so my X pull list would've been:

1). X-Men
    2). Wolverine

But X-Men's world building is boring the hell outta me, so I might just drop both X-Men and Marauders and get Wolverine. I'd have to look over the other upcoming books and minis to see if any of them would be worth getting it. And by worth getting I mean the book isn't afraid of being about something other than Krakoa and Xavier's demands.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 02-06-2020 at 10:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Krakoa kinda feels too big for my liking. Everyone's somewhere else all the time, which makes sense for what they're going for, but it makes their interactions and relationships feel hollow—when they have them. It's so strange, they're closer than ever in context of the overall story, but they don't feel like a family anymore. So weird! Like Fast & Furious, I need my faaaaamily, Vin. It's about family.

I also wish they had a much more interesting goal other than "gain sovereignty". It kinda stems down to Hickman's writing being long-term. I liked it in Avengers, but here it's ultra, mega boring. I was originally going to drop Marauders for Wolverine, so my X pull list would've been:

1). X-Men
    2). Wolverine

But X-Men's world building is boring the hell outta me, so I might just drop both X-Men and Marauders and get Wolverine. I'd have to look over the other upcoming books and minis to see if any of them would be worth getting it. And by worth getting I mean the book isn't afraid of being about something other than Krakoa and Xavier's demands.
    I think you’ve hit the nail on the head about what’s really putting me off this whole thing too! Like, that’s just it: where’s the family aspect? Those connections outside of the political aspect that really made the issues feel like they were hitting so close to home? Everything and everyone feels so very militant 100% of the time that, honestly....it’s a slog.

The world building is just that; world building. Like they’ve all supposedly got this new home and...they’re just standing around on it, metaphorically speaking. Where’s the ‘home’?

It’s in fact that lack of familiarity that does still make everything feel a bit cult-like (to me anyway) plus, just...look,Xavier’s his very own thing that’s annoying me. Not going into it here.

Honestly, though? I’ve dropped everything until Wolverine and even then I’m just considering ducking out. Like Hickman, to me, just seems to like the ‘idea’ of the X-men and not the X-men themselves; it’s the individuals that always told the story, not the story dictating the individuals. You need a much, much more personalised approach with this franchise, ya know?