Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Yes, trust me I have been on both sides many times, but the problem here is modern writers being too vague, ambiguous, and 'clever'. When a story is full of mystery, surprises, revelations and subterfuge, it should not be unexpected that readers will take elements that typically indicate those to actually indicate those.

For example, when a character trusts someone, say it. When they are suspicious of someone, say it. When someone is hiding something, say why. When everything is left up to interpretation, it will be.
    Most writers also aren't nearly as clever as they think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Exactly. If there’s mystery to be sowed, then just do it; don’t have every line of dialogue feel like some stage magician going all “*nudge, nudge,* *wink, wink,* is the mystery here? Or is it over HERE.”

Like, just write and let the work speak for itself organically without forcing an ominous tone; it just makes everything feel flat when the real ‘twist’ comes about.
    All the *wink wink* while stalling the story is not exciting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    All the *wink wink* while stalling the story is not exciting
    Definitely. Like it just feels like either filler or repetition depending on the day; like I feel like saying “Hey, you told me this same thing like five times already—you got a point or are ya just rambling?”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    For the majority its a case of not liking the specific change.
    What majority? These titles are selling out and currently very popular. Speak for yourself, dude.

Further, when you say you want everything undone what exactly is your alternative to this status quo? The same old school?

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    What majority? These titles are selling out and currently very popular. Speak for yourself, dude.

Further, when you say you want everything undone what exactly is your alternative to this status quo? The same old school?
    Majority of people displeased with the relaunch.
    Maybe go back and re-read the context before getting mad.

And its not like sales are any metric to measure how many people dislike a thing.
    I didn't say everything. There are some ideas that could be fun to play with but Hickman's ways of getting there are not that good.

BANNED

I’m not mad, I’m just confused. The line has been stagnant for over a decade. What do you want to read?

Don't let Hickman do the scripting in the word balloons; he can do the page-by-page or arc-by-arc plotting but not the voices.

Evidence beyond just my opinion:
    New Mutants seems to be one of the best-ranked books of DoX (see the other thread), BECAUSE it's Brisson up front as the writer with Hickman in the background;
    and the core title seems to be at the bottom of people's rankings (see the other thread) BECAUSE it's just Hickman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Don't let Hickman do the scripting in the word balloons; he can do the page-by-page or arc-by-arc plotting but not the voices.

Evidence beyond just my opinion:
    New Mutants seems to be one of the best-ranked books of DoX (see the other thread), BECAUSE it's Brisson up front as the writer with Hickman in the background;
    and the core title seems to be at the bottom of people's rankings (see the other thread) BECAUSE it's just Hickman.
    Lol. Hickman scripted both issues of NM so far.

They are switching off in stories in upcoming issues. Anyone familiar with Hickman’s humor in the past can see NM #1-2 are him.

BANNED

I’m not mad, I’m just confused. The line has been stagnant for over a decade. What do you want to read?
    More nuanced writing and perspectives (such as was present in X-Force #2 and Fallen Angels #2,) for one, with less emphasis on the grandiose language; it makes the characters feel less like characters and more like mouth-pieces for the plot and pretentious one's at that.

Have them actually emote and react in relation to the plot; actually show us how we got from A to B and why we should care, not just tell us in data-pages.

BANNED

No, he wants all of it gone including Krakoa. So I’m asking what he would prefer.

No, he wants all of it gone including Krakoa. So I’m asking what he would prefer.
    Again, go re-read things. I said I wanted the retcons to Krakoa gone. Not the island itself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Again, go re-read things. I said I wanted the retcons to Krakoa gone. Not the island itself.
    If the “retcons” are gone (putting aside that Kid Krakoa in WATXM was a friend to the X-Men), the original Krakoa is a monster. What does that leave for Dawn of X?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Hickman: "the X line has been on a cycle of decimation and destruction that contributed to the toxic environment between fandom and editorial. it's time for a new dawn for mutants''

1 month later

X-Force: Xavier shot dead, Reavers killing 33 mutants

me: [insert pikachu meme]
    All of whom will be resurrected. It’s an inciting moment for activating X-Force.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Marvel had handled the X-Men better than they did from 2015 to now, Hickman wouldn't have had to drop this bomb on us with everyone on an orgy island where they can't die and Moira was the Highlander all along, without warning.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If Marvel had handled the X-Men better than they did from 2015 to now, Hickman wouldn't have had to drop this bomb on us with everyone on an orgy island where they can't die and Moira was the Highlander all along, without warning.
    This is very true.

He's brought me back in big time.