Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    EDITH was pretty common knowledge by the end of the movie though. The news + throngs of people observed the illusions dropping and reported on it iirc.

There are.... a LOT of drones though, yes. I also maintain that sabers are worse against solid bullets then blasters.
    Even if we assume the Jedi know what to expect from the drones and that savers are as useful against bullets as they are blasters, that’s still a whole lot of bullets coming their way in a short amount of time. Both Order 66 and the battle of Geonosis demonstrated even the best force users can still go down if enough people are shooting them at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Even if we assume the Jedi know what to expect from the drones and that savers are as useful against bullets as they are blasters, that’s still a whole lot of bullets coming their way in a short amount of time. Both Order 66 and the battle of Geonosis demonstrated even the best force users can still go down if enough people are shooting them at the same time.
    Again, I don't disagree with the overall assessment. Just the part where they would be tricked by a hologram. They don't even need eyes and Peter showed that some precognition goes a long way.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    EDITH was pretty common knowledge by the end of the movie though. The news + throngs of people observed the illusions dropping and reported on it iirc.

There are.... a LOT of drones though, yes. I also maintain that sabers are worse against solid bullets then blasters.
    Thanks to J. J. Jameson, most people likely think that it was Spider-Man who was using the drones, not Mysterio, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Thanks to J. J. Jameson, most people likely think that it was Spider-Man who was using the drones, not Mysterio, though.
    Which makes absolutely no sense. Mysterio's "shocking reveal" video still ran with the otherdimensional elemental attackers angle thing, and yet there had to have been hundreds, if not in fact thousands of witnesses seeing them falling apart into drone that were projecting illusions that Spiderman then engaged in direct combat with. Like a giant chunk of London was around to see that! The illusions dispelling into being revealed as drones was a huge thing, in a huge public place, that is filmed generally. Not a single one of them gave any kind of statement or interview or etc? And in this day and age no less, not a single person decided to film any of it like maniac? (If you want to tell me "everyone was too busy running", I'll point you to the things that have ended up on smartphone video and just no).

In fact while we're there, London has CCTV cameras! None of them captured that happening? Mysterio's video should have been debunked in a day, at most.

Man, I was loving Far From Home and then that JJJ mid credits scene retroactively killed the entire experience for me. They wanted so badly to get from "Spider man, beloved hero" to standard, tired hackey "Spiderman, threat or menace!" that they didn't bother to take five seconds to think on how to make that plausible.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-30-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Hmmm I'm not sure how powerful the naboo fighters are.

If they were x wings yeah Star wars would have the fire power to annihilate the Hydra carrier but I would have to rewatch phantom menace and you can't make me do that
    Not saying the naboo fighters are the most awesome fighters ever, but the Insight Carrier, and really the MCU force here as a whole, doesn't have much means of countering the equivalent of jet fighters, even these aren't the best quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Which makes absolutely no sense. Mysterio's "shocking reveal" video still ran with the otherdimensional elemental attackers angle thing, and yet there had to have been hundreds, if not in fact thousands of witnesses seeing them falling apart into drone that were projecting illusions that Spiderman then engaged in direct combat with. Like a giant chunk of London was around to see that! The illusions dispelling into being revealed as drones was a huge thing, in a huge public place, that is filmed generally. Not a single one of them gave any kind of statement or interview or etc? And in this day and age no less, not a single person decided to film any of it like maniac? (If you want to tell me "everyone was too busy running", I'll point you to the things that have ended up on smartphone video and just no).

In fact while we're there, London has CCTV cameras! None of them captured that happening? Mysterio's video should have been debunked in a day, at most.

Man, I was loving Far From Home and then that JJJ mid credits scene retroactively killed the entire experience for me. They wanted so badly to get from "Spider man, beloved hero" to standard, tired hackey "Spiderman, threat or menace!" that they didn't bother to take five seconds to think on how to make that plausible.
    I think that the idea is that Mysterio defeated actual elementals and then Spider-Man hijacked Tony Stark's space drones to fake a last elemental and then frame Mysterio for it so that he can kill Mysterio and take the credit for stopping Mysterio, but then Mysterio managed to get out a death bed announcement of Spider-Man's guilt and also reveal his secret identity at the same time. Or maybe they were trying to frame Spider-Man for the other elementals as well, I'm not really sure.

I'm just confused as to how JJJ managed to say that Mysterio was the greatest hero of them all with a straight face when Hulk and Iron Man had *just* brought back 50% of humanity at significant cost to themselves a few months ago.

I think that the idea is that Mysterio defeated actual elementals and then Spider-Man hijacked Tony Stark's space drones to fake a last elemental and then frame Mysterio for it so that he can kill Mysterio and take the credit for stopping Mysterio, but then Mysterio managed to get out a death bed announcement of Spider-Man's guilt and also reveal his secret identity at the same time. Or maybe they were trying to frame Spider-Man for the other elementals as well, I'm not really sure.
    That your effort to try and make it make sense for them falls apart before the end of the paragraph is a statement right there on how much thought they put into making any of that make sense ;p

I'm just confused as to how JJJ managed to say that Mysterio was the greatest hero of them all with a straight face when Hulk and Iron Man had *just* brought back 50% of humanity at significant cost to themselves a few months ago.
    Everything about that sequence was trash.

If Spider-Man and the X-Men have taught me anything, its that Marvel's human society, and J. Johan Jameson in particular, are easily manipulated into mob violence towards people that have saved the world and are powerful enough to kill them by waving in their general direction.

I was vaguely hoping the MCU wouldn't fall so enthusiastically into that particular bottomless pit of dumb.

I was vaguely hoping the MCU wouldn't fall so enthusiastically into that particular bottomless pit of dumb.
    I mean, Civil War was arguably just as dumb, since one of the things they were being penalized for was saving New York from the Chitauri, IIRC.

I mean, Civil War was arguably just as dumb, since one of the things they were being penalized for was saving New York from the Chitauri, IIRC.
    Civil War at least had a comparative fig leaf of that certainly some Avengers fights to that point had involved some collateral damage, including the one that just happened in the opening.

Compared to that bit from Far From Home it was a masterpiece of nuance and sophistication, I'm saying. The thing people were griping at them about, some bystanders dying, by comparison actually happened in the reality they all shared, with witnesses that saw it happen, instead of, by contrast, seeing the complete opposite of that happening, yet somehow no one mentioning the complete opposite of what happened, happened.

Sure, the counter argument is a solid "would you prefer we just let all that bad **** happen to the world", but at least in that case they are having an argument about things that actually tangibly happened in the reality they all coexist in. That's miles ahead of Far From Home's "for some insane reason, this complete garbage nonsense that should be debunked in a day is being taken seriously by major news networks and the world."
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-02-2019 at 01:19 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yeah, I hit that and just... wat

It was total crap in an otherwise solid movie.

If Spider-Man and the X-Men have taught me anything, its that Marvel's human society, and J. Johan Jameson in particular, are easily manipulated into mob violence towards people that have saved the world and are powerful enough to kill them by waving in their general direction.
    It's Marvel, they can't help themselves.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Civil War at least had a comparative fig leaf of that certainly some Avengers fights to that point had involved some collateral damage, including the one that just happened in the opening.

Compared to that bit from Far From Home it was a masterpiece of nuance and sophistication, I'm saying. The thing people were griping at them about, some bystanders dying, by comparison actually happened in the reality they all shared, with witnesses that saw it happen, instead of, by contrast, seeing the complete opposite of that happening, yet somehow no one mentioning the complete opposite of what happened, happened.

Sure, the counter argument is a solid "would you prefer we just let all that bad **** happen to the world", but at least in that case they are having an argument about things that actually tangibly happened in the reality they all coexist in. That's miles ahead of Far From Home's "for some insane reason, this complete garbage nonsense that should be debunked in a day is being taken seriously by major news networks and the world."
    To be fair, we don't know that it wasn't debunked and laughed of in a second by every news organization that wasn't owned by JJJ, but even if it was, the bigger problem is that they had just publicly revealed Spider-Man's secret identity, which Peter was already completely terrible at keeping.

To be fair, we don't know that it wasn't debunked and laughed of in a second by every news organization that wasn't owned by JJJ, but even if it was, the bigger problem is that they had just publicly revealed Spider-Man's secret identity, which Peter was already completely terrible at keeping.
    Mysterio's video was being broadcasted to the world as a credible thing by major news organizations from the presentation of it. The anchorman was all "stunning revelations" instead of "complete garbage nonsense considering that thousands of people saw the exact frigging opposite of this trash happening". That was before the JJJ bit.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Far From Home.... right up until that moment. It extra kills me that it was a mid credits stinger so I was all "well that was a fun movie" for a few minutes of credits, thinking that was that mostly that for any especially immediately huge significant plot things (as opposed to often inessential to the immediate movie mid credits junk, if that) and then blaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh ;p
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-02-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Mysterio's video was being broadcasted to the world as a credible thing by major news organizations from the presentation of it. The anchorman was all "stunning revelations" instead of "complete garbage nonsense considering that thousands of people saw the exact frigging opposite of this trash happening". That was before the JJJ bit.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Far From Home.... right up until that moment. It extra kills me that it was a mid credits stinger so I was all "well that was a fun movie" for a few minutes of credits, thinking that was that mostly that for any especially immediately huge significant plot things (as opposed to often inessential to the immediate movie mid credits junk, if that) and then blaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh ;p
    This about says it all.

They really wanted to squeeze the same WTF joke into the end of this one, like they did so well in the last one. They, as a result, suspended my suspension of disbelief. I hate it when that happens.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan