Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RUMOUR: Doctor Aphra to get Disney+ show

There's a rumour that Doctor Aphra, a character created for the Marvel Star Wars comics, will be getting a show on Disney+.
    http://starwarsunity.net/2019/11/23/...g-a-tv-series/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's a rumour that Doctor Aphra, a character created for the Marvel Star Wars comics, will be getting a show on Disney+.
    http://starwarsunity.net/2019/11/23/...g-a-tv-series/
    Huh. Not sure how I feel about this, right here. On the one hand, I adore the character. She's just plain fun. Her solo series has been the most consistent SW title coming out of Marvel for a pretty long while. And it would be awesone to see her in live action. Though casting would matter, quite a bit.

But on the other hand, when do you set it? Pre- ANH seems easiest, but then you lose out on Triple Zero and BeeTee. But post-ANH you tie both the comic and the series into either reflecting each other directly or being beholden to what the other does in terms of events. Post-ROTJ?

I honestly think she might be more fun as a side character. Or they could bring back Donald Glover and give me the Lando and Aphra story I've been begging for since Solo.

Yes Please! So very much YES!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Huh. Not sure how I feel about this, right here. On the one hand, I adore the character. She's just plain fun. Her solo series has been the most consistent SW title coming out of Marvel for a pretty long while. And it would be awesone to see her in live action. Though casting would matter, quite a bit.

But on the other hand, when do you set it? Pre- ANH seems easiest, but then you lose out on Triple Zero and BeeTee. But post-ANH you tie both the comic and the series into either reflecting each other directly or being beholden to what the other does in terms of events. Post-ROTJ?

I honestly think she might be more fun as a side character. Or they could bring back Donald Glover and give me the Lando and Aphra story I've been begging for since Solo.
    Chloe Bennett from SHIELD seems a popular choice in fan-casting.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Really? That would be awful. Can we get somebody who can actually act?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

My choices for fan casting would be either Lana Condor from Deadly Class or Awkwafina.

Ultimate Member

I'd love this, female lesbian space Indiana Jones, could be so much fun.

Awesome! I can't wait to not watch it!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Evil space Indiana Jones would make an awesome movie, mini-series, or show.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

NO THANKS! Won't watch.

How about picking out a secondary character, a Jedi or two, from the Prequels that's already known from the movies?

I wish Obi-Wan could have been a series instead of being a one and done mini-series.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I'd dig it. Aphra is great.

iMan 42s

I'd be interested.

I hadn't read much of her solo stuff but I liked her in the Darth Vader books. I'd be interested in a show about her.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    NO THANKS! Won't watch.

How about picking out a secondary character, a Jedi or two, from the Prequels that's already known from the movies?

I wish Obi-Wan could have been a series instead of being a one and done mini-series.
    The Marvel comics did hint that Quinlan Vos survived (Probably a nod to Dark Horse's outlook for the character, which had him survive and even encounter a young Han).

Shaak Ti has various versions of her death, including one where she survived until THE FORCE UNLEASHED, in the old EU. However, Clone Wars and the Marvel comics seem to indicate that she died during Order 66, killed by Anakin/Vader when he entered the temple (This was the version also used in the film novelization).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-25-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Yes, she would be my first choice to play the character if and when the time comes to bring Aphra into a live action project.

If it does come to pass, I'm curious if it'll play nice with her comics (both the current series and the upcoming relaunch) or if the Powers That Be will just do their own thing (and create the first instance in canon of a canonical project being decanonized wholesale because of another project)?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    My choices for fan casting would be either Lana Condor from Deadly Class or Awkwafina.
    Haven't seen as much of them, but maybe?

Shaak Ti has various versions of her death, including one where she survived until THE FORCE UNLEASHED, in the old EU. However, Clone Wars and the Marvel comics seem to indicate that she died during Order 66, killed by Anakin/Vader when he entered the temple (This was the version also used in the film novelization).
    Yep, that's the canon account. (The Marvel comics did gum it up a bit, where Luke briefly finds a holocron she recorded a last message for any survivors before dying, which kinda ignores how her death looks like she was caught totally off guard, but that's small potatoes in terms of inconsistencies.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Evil space Indiana Jones would make an awesome movie, mini-series, or show.
    Yeah it would, but that isn't on the table. The thing about Aphra is that it's impossible to describe the character without mentioning other better characters she is based off of, and that is never a good thing.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest