Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default What Stories would you include in a 10-Episode Superman TV anthology?

Here's the premise: Netflix or HBO create a 10 hour-long episode anthology television series for the big guy. Each episode has a different director, cast, and vision. There's no continuity between them. What 10 stories, either original, adapted, or combined, would you include?

I picked this format because there are so many aspects of Superman's lore and so many sides of Superman himself that it's hard to cover everything in one cycle of movies. Hopefully by the end of this we have enough ideas for a "best-of".

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

For The Man Who Has Everything seems like an obvious choice. Assuming they're willing to shill out the money for Krypton. A full on adaptation. Unlike that Justice League episode.

All Star #9 is another good stand alone story.

The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman is one of my favorites.

The first appearance of Brianiac is always a good choice.

The Challenge of Terra Man is another good one.

Action #791 is a favorite. It's not well known but it's a good story.
    Assassinate Putin!

All Star Superman 10

The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape from Action Comics 0

Only Child from Adventures of Superman - it’s the Iron Giant story basically.

Eagle from American Alien #5 (but lose the Batsuit) I love Lois & Clark’s discussion about “good guy with some spare time”

Adapt Lois’s story from Rucka’s first Adventures of Superman run. Where she’s embedded as a war correspondent and is shot to get at Superman, then her investigation into it.

Action Comics 800 - leaning heavier on the vignettes of Superman’s impact on others.

I’ll have to think of a few more one offs.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    All Star Superman 10

Eagle from American Alien #5 (but lose the Batsuit) I love Lois & Clark’s discussion about “good guy with some spare time”

Adapt Lois’s story from Rucka’s first Adventures of Superman run. Where she’s embedded as a war correspondent and is shot to get at Superman, then her investigation into it.

Action Comics 800 - leaning heavier on the vignettes of Superman’s impact on others.

I would probably adapt Hawk from that series. But the accusations against Landis made me decide against it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Going to stick to single issues:
    The Kid Who Stole Superman’s Cape
    Superman #9 from the Tomasi/Gleason run
    For the Man Who Has Everything
    Jungle Line by Moore the Superman/Swamp Thing team up
    The Bizarro issue from Byrne’s Man of Steel
    The Boxing issue from Tom King’s Up in the Sky
    The Halloween issue with Xau-Dur from Morrison Action
    The Hitman/Superman team up issue from Garth Ennis
    The LoSH/Superman meetup in Action 900 by Johns and Frank
    The Krypto issue from Morrison’s Action run

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Netflix probably could go for a comic adaptation that would hit the same demographic as most popular DC animations. If you give ten people ten stories about Superman, they'll probably hit the same notes unless they deliberately avoid it. I'd give them stories to adapt from my take that loosely flow into each other with the basic pitch that Superman is a pretty crazy legend.

1. Superman, from Action Comics #849 and Superman #22
    2. Golden Age, Man of Steel #80-82
    3. Return to Krypton, Superman #141
    4. The Immortal Superman, Action Comics #385-387
    5. Planet of Angels, Superman #236
    6. The Ultimate Man, Superman Special '83
    7. Saved, Superman #295 and Adventures #7
    8. Mxy Twins, Adventures of Superman
    9 Sandman, Superman Special 92
    10. The Legend, Action comics #800

That actually took me a long time, to think of an unconnected arc based on the duration of Superman haha.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    All Star Superman 10

Sorry, remind me what happens in issue #10? I myself would adapt the one where he goes back in time as a disguised stranger and spends time with his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Sorry, remind me what happens in issue #10? I myself would adapt the one where he goes back in time as a disguised stranger and spends time with his father.
    It's the day in the life issue. Where he's writing his will, saves the jumper, sends the Kandorians to cure cancer, and creates a pocket universe.