Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The OT got a lot of flack from the pros for the humor in them because guys like Ebert thought it took them out of the tone of the film. Is it serious or camp? The OT films were hilarious for the time!

Late 70s early 80s humor (gimmicked) is very different than mid-late 90s humor (gross-out humor) and current modern (situational quips) humor.

To each their own I guess.

And it's not like crank calls are outside the norm in SW (every trilogy had one) since I see that is brought up a lot.

Last but not least ... "They fly now" is actually said 4 times. Chewbacca said it as well.
    "they fly now" is directly out of the lethal weapon guide to action comedy writing. fast paced lines pitching up to underline a dire situation. so i am ok with the line itself.
    but they should not be surprised... which shows the poor handling on the world building.

j9ac9k mentioned over at the mando-thread, that he was happy with the visor/helmet having some functionality.
    contrast that with the stormtrooper talking into his communicator. yes, i am well aware that luke and han and c3po used stormtrooper comms in ep4.
    but it makes no sense. they should have helmet mics. they could have silently upgraded it
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    "they fly now" is directly out of the lethal weapon guide to action comedy writing. fast paced lines pitching up to underline a dire situation. so i am ok with the line itself.
    but they should not be surprised... which shows the poor handling on the world building.

j9ac9k mentioned over at the mando-thread, that he was happy with the visor/helmet having some functionality.
    contrast that with the stormtrooper talking into his communicator. yes, i am well aware that luke and han and c3po used stormtrooper comms in ep4.
    but it makes no sense. they should have helmet mics. they could have silently upgraded it
    Part of the fun and charm of Star Wars is the anachronisms in a fantasy/sci-fi environment.

A lot of the humor pieces in most films, when taken out of context, come across dry and unearned.

I DO, however, think this was a poor choice of clips to showcase. I would've gone for something more foreboding or a storyline hook to get the fence sitters over the line. But I haven't see the film, so what do I know?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Is it me or does this sound like something Chandler from FRIENDS will say. This clip is actually very legitimately funny in the content of a FRIENDS episode , It just does not belong in Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Part of the fun and charm of Star Wars is the anachronisms in a fantasy/sci-fi environment.

A lot of the humor pieces in most films, when taken out of context, come across dry and unearned.

I DO, however, think this was a poor choice of clips to showcase. I would've gone for something more foreboding or a storyline hook to get the fence sitters over the line. But I haven't see the film, so what do I know?
    i agree to a degree. but alas, it is such a thin line. for example, han mannerism while taking the auxiliary entrance to the shield generator in JEDI. there was so much cringe there, which highly contrasted the situation and the awesome costume design of the rebel commando troopers.

picking that clip is clearly marketing at the 3 to 12 olds, cause everyone older is aware of the plentiful appearances of jet packs in the saga.
    if that is the best they got without spoiling, i am worried
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Is it me or does this sound like something Chandler from FRIENDS will say. This clip is actually very legitimately funny in the content of a FRIENDS episode , It just does not belong in Star Wars.
    you got a boyfriend? cute boyfriend?
    say it quick and repeat. youtubers that talk fast tend to be more successful, see the pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    JJ Abrams’ thought process.

1. Boba Fett is popular, what if we made Stormtrooper Boba Fetts? They couldn't be any worse than Captain Phasma. The funny thing is John Favreau could have easily went that route and slapped a rocket pack on The Mandalorian, but he didn't.
    Jetpack-equiped clone troopers were a thing in the (canon) Clone Wars TV show. They're also a default part of Mandalorian gear; the titular Mandalorian (and Rebels' Sabine Wren) are actually outliers for not using them.

2. People liked the cycle sequence from Jedi, let's do that again but put wheels on the bikes therefore making the bikes less cool and a launching action they really don't need. Oh wait apparently they fly as well. I guess the wheels are just for the toys. Making the toys hover will put to much stain on the poor kids
    Having both wheels and repulsor tech could be an advantage for different terrains and/or if one system was damaged during use.

3. Rey is not allowed to be shocked at the Fett Troopers like everyone else. That would mean showing real emotions and threatening to become interesting. Rey is perfect, not interesting.
    A.) None of that bolded stuff lines up with the rest of the movies and B.) one scene taken out of context does not an argument make.

4. Quiping like a Marvel movie.
    Actually, the Marvel movies quip like Star Wars movies. Watch the originals again sometime. (Also, see above r.e. one scene not being representational of the whole.)

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    yes, i am well aware that luke and han and c3po used stormtrooper comms in ep4.
    They had both; when the officer comms the trooper who's armor Luke stole, Luke taps the helmet (complete with a static sound) to fool the officer into thinking the communicator inside it had malfunctioned. The first canon Thrawn novel also had Thrawn removing the built-in communicator from a stormtrooper helmet in the opening chapter.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

since i don´t read their and your canon, plz fill me in why someone would replace a built-in comm with a handheld comm