Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default The Flash Annual # 3 *Spoilers*

In brief; the art was passable but I missed Booth. I really liked the nuts and bolts bits that Jensen brings to the proceedings as far as just what Barry's job entails beyond a really generalized thing. Ditto Patty and her Dexter moment. Ditto Iris. Iris was characterized awesomely, which is a good sign because it's an express interest.

Anyone worried that certain tropes weren't going to be subverted in regards to Barry's relationship with Wally aren't going to be pleasantly surprised. I'll be curious to see if the writers can make it work. But I DID like how plotwise, it all sort of ties back to Daniel West doing the Reverse-Flash thing. And there was some tantalizing name-drops happening in the Future-Flash timeline.

Average issue, though. They're still shaking off the early "pilot episode" stuff that every creative team goes through, and haven't made lemonade out of DC Editorial lemons yet. I'll reiterate something I said last week; there's like no way Wally's going to remain a 12 year old. He's totally going to be 17 and the five years later stuff is going to play into it.

Discuss!

EDIT: (Ignoring the typo where I wrote "2" instead of "3", let's merge some threads here.)
    Last edited by ShaggyB; 04-30-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default The Flash Annual #3 Discussion

This is a very empty looking forum... let's fix that!

What did you guys think of the issue? I thought it perfectly fine and I am looking forward to seeing where this arc goes, especially with this murder mystery and this loss of time that's happening with The Flash.

My thoughts on Wally West being black? I honestly do not care and I'm preferring to wait and see what happens with him before I say he has been ruined forever or something like that.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It was fine, but I was hoping for more than one story in an annual. Previous annuals featured two of three stories; this one gave us only one.

It does appear to be setting up at least the next year of FLASH stories, however.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

I'm just disappointed that Wally is 12.

Always Rakzo

Well, I'm back and stronger than ever! (Actually I'm probably weaker if we consider post numbers as power).

Anyway, as I said in my previous thread:

All right guys, this is the big one, I know what all of you're expecting here so I won't beat aound the bush: Wally West appears here, he's a bi-racial, twelve years old kid who has problems with authority but fortunately, authors Robert Venditti and Van Jensen do a justifiable reason based on what happened in this same volume. Wally's appearance is short but I would say that hi attitude remembers me a lot of his portrayal in Mark Waid's Born to Run origin story which was about a pretty hotheaded kid. Let's see how they handled it in future issues. I have more thoughts.
    Last edited by Rakzo; 04-30-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I was a little weary last issue, but this annual just sold me completely! Very much looking forward to this run!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm just disappointed that Wally is 12.
    Wally started out young in the old universe also.

Complete reboot

Now onto talking about the annual lol. The first thing I'm still trying to figure out, why'd he have to kill Grodd? I'm assuming they'll expand on such, in a later story hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I was a little weary last issue, but this annual just sold me completely! Very much looking forward to this run!

Yes I know that but what I mean is that Dick Grayson is in his 20's and Wally is 12 so they probably wont be friends anymore.

I really liked the annual, It feels like a story that actual knows what it wants to do. There were a few panels were Barry's eyes looked really creepy, and the crying sandwich guy wasn't there so that deducts some points.

I really liked it, though it might have helped the Wally West controversy by packing this and Flash #30 into one over sized issue. Looking forward for Barry and Wally to interact more. The non booth art wasn't as good as the flashes with his Barry being a bit off.

Overall it was pretty awesme.

I'm guessing future Barry will do something that leads to futures end and by Flash Futures end Wally will have powers.

there's just one thing confusing me (picked this up during my lunch hour) - what are Grodd's powers in the new 52? I generally pick up issues of Flash sporadically and I'm afraid Grodd's origins/powerset were not during one of my flighty purchases!

Additionally, while I enjoyed the annual, I thought they were meant to be done-in-one stories? More and more they seem to become bumper-sized continuations of already-established arcs...

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    The non booth art wasn't as good as the flashes with his Barry being a bit off.
    I agree. And surprisingly I like the Future Flash's costume

Amazing Member

I liked the annual, although the art was a little underwhelming at times. This arc are going to be the first Wally (and only my second Flash) comics that I've ever read, so I'm hoping that the promise of this arc continues.

I liked this issue. I really hated the artist doing present day Flash. I was glad Booth did the future art for this issue though.

I liked it. I'm going to stick around to see Wally's development into a hero.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    . Wally's appearance is short but I would say that hi attitude remembers me a lot of his portrayal in Mark Waid's Born to Run origin story which was about a pretty hotheaded kid. Let's see how they handled it in future issues. I have more thoughts.
    I don't know... something about his attitude bothered me; but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's probably his relationship with Iris, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's not about how old he was when he started, it's about where he stands in the universe. Right now, he's been removed from his generation.