Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by redhood420 View Post
    He was from 'Blue Valley' Nebraska, right??
    Yes, he originated from Blue Valley, Nebraska.

Fantastic Member

They ruined Wally for me. Ugh. Why can't DC just leave the good things be?

Okay, this was technically the first issue of Flash I've gotten in the New 52. Am I the only one that thinks the new Wally borders on racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Except, of course, for the ones that aren't.
    Like say maybe Barry Allen... the guy that rebooted the entire universe.

Fantastic Member

I don't care if Wally is black. If they were going to do that, they should have made Barry black as well. It would have made more sense. It would have been refreshing. They could have done the same story, and had Wally be related to Barry, only this time, they were a small bit different then the original story. This new Wally is just change for the sake of change. If they end up writing it well, then cool, but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen. I hope that I'm wrong, and that this is another Miles Morales type situation.

My guess is Daniel is responsible for this accident. Iris has turned on him, and the strong insinuation is that Barry and Wally are going to become very close. This will surely cause Wally to abandon his misplaced idolization of his uncle, and we already know Daniel has a tendency to try and kill family members he feels wronged by.

Fantastic Member

So far, I'm just... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My guess is Daniel is responsible for this accident. Iris has turned on him, and the strong insinuation is that Barry and Wally are going to become very close. This will surely cause Wally to abandon his misplaced idolization of his uncle, and we already know Daniel has a tendency to try and kill family members he feels wronged by.
    I would expect DC to go with the "black kid idolizes his dad in prison" trope for a while. If there is one thing we can be sure about in the New 52 it's that the stories will never take the classy direction.

Fantastic Member

It's exactly like Miles and his uncle in Marvel's Ultimate Universe. That was dumb when they did that, too. The comics industry is overusing tropes...

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I would expect DC to go with the "black kid idolizes his dad in prison" trope for a while. If there is one thing we can be sure about in the New 52 it's that the stories will never take the classy direction.
    You're making it sound worse than it really is. He idolized his uncle before Daniel got into trouble. So your father figure then goes nuts and turns into a supervillain. How's that supposed to make a kid feel? Its blind loyalty because he's young, doesn't know any better, and has no one else. Enter Barry, whom obviously is going to become that positive male role model. Don't really see how class comes into question.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    It's exactly like Miles and his uncle in Marvel's Ultimate Universe. That was dumb when they did that, too.
    Why is this dumb? You'll need to be more specific, because it seems like one of two natural character outcomes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Okay, this was technically the first issue of Flash I've gotten in the New 52. Am I the only one that thinks the new Wally borders on racist?

Like say maybe Barry Allen... the guy that rebooted the entire universe.
    maybe not racist, but definately problematic and using stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You're making it sound worse than it really is. He idolized his uncle before Daniel got into trouble. So your father figure then goes nuts and turns into a supervillain. How's that supposed to make a kid feel? Its blind loyalty because he's young, doesn't know any better, and has no one else. Enter Barry, whom obviously is going to become that positive male role model. Don't really see how class comes into question.
    the classic "white character fix a problematic black character"

even when bad things happen, I expect people to act in their best. Stephanie Brown had a messed up childhood an never went to the bad way. Wally is this kind of character
    Last edited by Blacksun; 04-30-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Frankly I pin it more on the reader if they want to look at it as black and white rather a good man trying to be there for a kid who needs him.

On the other hand, perhaps that's not entirely fair, in this instance, to the fanbase. I did say before and still do believe that the only problem with changing an established character's race is that, at least for the short term, race becomes what matters most about him/her. Maybe if this were a case of a new character bonding with Barry, it wouldn't be noticed as heavily.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-30-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Mighty Member

"While The Flash came out of the gate with some heat, thanks to artists-turned-writers Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato, the series never really came together at the narrative level. Pretty pictures, but no weight behind their step. Venditti and Jensen, however, are a whole other beast, as they seem to be outdoing not just their predecessors"
    - David Pepose

http://www.newsarama.com/21003-best-...-police-1.html

On a certain level... I agree with this statement from this Newsarama reviewer. Fantastic layouts aside, I always felt that the previous run left something to desire with their story and pacing. I am very excited for the possible storylines that have been left open with this Annual issue... and their story pacing is much better. I never had that feeling with the previous creative team... although I was always optimistic that they would bring more. I honestly haven't cared all that much about this title since the middle of the Reverse-Flash arc. Until this month...
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 04-30-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I honestly haven't cared all that much about this title since the middle of the Reverse-Flash arc.
    I agree. After enjoying the Rogues issues 6-12, the annual and Gorilla Warfare story, I was left waiting for it to develop into something more/a great run. But it was just okay

So, yeah. that Gorilla Grodd... what are his powers in the New-52 again?