Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Michael B. Jordan met with WB about Superman

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ey-1203415757/

The studio has less clarity on what to do with Superman, a character who has now been rebooted two different times in the last 13 years, once with Brandon Routh (“Superman Returns”) and later with Henry Cavill (“Man of Steel”) without landing on a winning strategy. Superman has also appeared frequently on television, in shows such as “Lois and Clark” and “Smallville,” which has led to some fears at Warners that the market could be over-saturated with hot takes on all things Clark Kent.

To help find a way to make Superman relevant to modern audiences, studio brass has been polling lots of high-profile talent. There have been discussions with J.J. Abrams, whose company Bad Robot recently signed a massive first-look deal with the studio, and there was a meeting with Michael B. Jordan earlier this year with the “Creed” star pitching Warners on a vision for the character. However, Jordan isn’t ready to commit to taking on the project since filming doesn’t seem likely to happen for several years and he has a full dance card of projects. Insiders think that a new Superman film is unlikely to hit screens before 2023, given that there’s no script and no director attached.
    If he took the role he'd be by far the most talented actor to play Superman. Best looking one too.
    Last edited by Superbat; 11-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Already posted in the JJ Abrams thread. Looks like they’ve moved on to courting JJ Abrams now.

I still believe in Henry Cavill and his portrayal of my favorite character. I hope that WB doesn't recast him as anyone. Jordan could be good, but whether he is or not it'll be a punch in the stomach as a Cavill and Adams fan, when I think Cavill and Adams can reclaim that part of the fanbase they haven't gotten with their prior films.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

2023 sounds outright optimistic, to me. I don't see a new Superman project until near the tail end of the decade, if at all in the '20s. It could very well be the 90s all over again where we just have development hell stories and be bone dry of a flick when all is said and done.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

He's better of being another character like Mister Terrific or Firestorm.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You spelled John Henry Irons wrong.

Astonishing Member

Seeing as how many actors and people have been requesting and claiming for a black superman (to the point to Idris Alba Black Superman reference was a key line in
    Fast n Furious) It tells me Michael knows what he's talking about. It's a goldmine waiting to happen, and Calvin Ellis or Val Zod are perfect characters to bring that to fruition.

I'm curious how he'd pull off the S-Curl .

I have a thought: what if we have Jordan as Calvin Ellis or Lor-Zod, and someone as Kong Kenan, etc, and after several movies of various multiverse Supermen, you have a movie where they have to find out what happened to the main universe version (think the TMNT team-ups where if the origin universe is wiped out, all the rest are too - that kinda thing), and use that to springboard into a more classic style Superman (perhaps keep Cavill but say that his timeline got altered by the threat and the healing of it changed some things).

That way we can springboard right into stories of an established Superman where we see his world and he's now the pov character, introducing us to a world where he's already established (getting around a new origin movie for him, etc).

Might be a way to build back up to the main Superman again, while giving some of the other versions their own space to play.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I have a thought: what if we have Jordan as Calvin Ellis or Lor-Zod, and someone as Kong Kenan, etc, and after several movies of various multiverse Supermen, you have a movie where they have to find out what happened to the main universe version (think the TMNT team-ups where if the origin universe is wiped out, all the rest are too - that kinda thing), and use that to springboard into a more classic style Superman (perhaps keep Cavill but say that his timeline got altered by the threat and the healing of it changed some things).

That way we can springboard right into stories of an established Superman where we see his world and he's now the pov character, introducing us to a world where he's already established (getting around a new origin movie for him, etc).

Might be a way to build back up to the main Superman again, while giving some of the other versions their own space to play.
    Sounds like a good animated movie plot. Hollywood has reasons to dismiss this kind of ambitious crossover, but Warner Home Video shouldn't feel so restricted.

He's better off playing the most famous superhero in the world, not characters only comic fans know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    You spelled John Henry Irons wrong.
    He looks too young to play John Henry Irons. He looks younger than Cavill did in MOS.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like Henry Cavil to stick around- but if not, Jordan would be a great choice. He's a fantastic actor, and charming as can be.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-26-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ehhh it's not happening but it's a cool idea. I can't say there is a better and more attractive actor on uh... the superhero circuit, but somehow he either won't get any further in talks, or wouldn't get the credit he would deserve if he somehow got to do it. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Since there are rumors of WB wanting to be a bit more experimental with their superhero stuff, maybe they can do a Calvin Ellis movie.

At least, it'll be completely different from what we've seen before.

All-New Member

President Superman! President Superman!