Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New Spider-Man Ongoing Title???

Bleeding Cool is sensing some gossip about a new Spider-Man ongoing series. What do you think it will be???

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...der-man-title/

I will judge when I know which team will be responsible for it.

BANNED

Whatever it is, I hope they can get a legit, ongoing secondary Spidey title going. The stealth minis they've been doing have been enjoyable but I'd like to see a serious Spidey satellite that's meant to last more than a couple of arcs. I don't know if they'll revive Spec yet again or maybe bring back Web of or come up with a whole new title but as someone who has fond memories of Spidey satellite books as being vital contributors to Spidey lore, I'd love to see one actually stick around for awhile.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long until we get some official news on this.

Mighty Member

I always enjoyed Sensational Spider-man as a title. I hope they bring that back.

Generally speaking, I hope the new title has a very distinct premise, both specific and different from ASM. Peter working on his PhD and science hijinks would be my preference, but I'm up for anything (ASM has a lot of stuff going on - Kindred, MJ, etc., so I think the school stuff can be foregrounded in a different title).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

School stuff would make sense for a secondary title

I think FNSM is confirmed to be ending, so I guess it's that time of the year for a new secondary Peter title.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think FNSM is confirmed to be ending, so I guess it's that time of the year for a new secondary Peter title.
    FNSM was unfortunately always planned to end, but it sounds like, and I hope, that Marvel is planning on letting this new title stick around for a while.

I wonder who the creative team might be...I dunno, I randomly get the feeling of Kelly Thompson on a Spider-Man satellite? But she already is writing to major books right now (Carol and Deadpool).

I wonder who the creative team might be...I dunno, I randomly get the feeling of Kelly Thompson on a Spider-Man satellite? But she already is writing to major books right now (Carol and Deadpool).
    It's got to be someone who makes a splash for sales: someone who people would follow on an ongoing series and sustains sales, stories, and interest for at least two years.

I'm increasingly convinced satellites are not a good idea, although it could be possible to come with a good hook.

The two brands that work best are probably Amazing Fantasy and (adjectiveless) Spider-Man.

Some ideas from the "Pitch a Spider-Man title" discussion.

The Legendary Spider-Man
    This would be a bit like Marvel Knights Spider-Man was supposed to be, with top creative teams coming on board for runs of approximately twelve issues. The change is that it would be fan-favorites, writers like Peter David, Roger Stern, J.M. DeMatteis, Marv Wolfman, or Gerry Conway. It would probably be important to have two writers on-board initially, so it doesn't just become a vehicle for one creative team. As for artists, they could go with people who have well-regarded runs on Spider-Man (Mark Bagley, Mark Buckingham, Terry Dodson, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Ryan Stegman, etc.) to keep with the theme, or with new voices. There might be later pairings of top writers who haven't done much work on the character, and fan-favorite artists.

Web of Spider-Man
    This would be a bit like what Detective Comics did for a while, featuring a team of heroes operating under Spider-Man's guidance. Potential members would include the Black Cat, Alpha (an arrogant powerhouse), Morbius, Silk and Harry Osborn (potential financier, he could very well want to make up for the terrible things his father did.) Keeping Spider-Man involved is good for sales, while the team aspects allows for a focus on the private lives of the ensemble, which means it doesn't have to contradict what's going on in Amazing Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (alternative title of Spider-Man: Headlines)
    Potential creative teams would be Ta-Nehisi Coates & Daniel Acuna, or Jason Aaron & Brett Booth. The basic hook is that this a series based on contemporary issues, as Peter's professional interests in journalism and scientific research would allow him to encounter people affected by news events. It's something that can get attention and generate stories, but doing it in a satellite book means you avoid affecting the Amazing Spider-Man brand, and the awkwardness when five-year old ASM issues are suddenly anachronistic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The "Sensational" title belongs to Ben. He has so little! Let him have one superlative!

I always felt like "Spectacular" was the strongest choice next to "Amazing."

-Pav, who prefers a broader focus in Spidey side-comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm increasingly convinced satellites are not a good idea, although it could be possible to come with a good hook.

The two brands that work best are probably Amazing Fantasy and (adjectiveless) Spider-Man.

Some ideas from the "Pitch a Spider-Man title" discussion.

The Legendary Spider-Man
    This would be a bit like Marvel Knights Spider-Man was supposed to be, with top creative teams coming on board for runs of approximately twelve issues. The change is that it would be fan-favorites, writers like Peter David, Roger Stern, J.M. DeMatteis, Marv Wolfman, or Gerry Conway. It would probably be important to have two writers on-board initially, so it doesn't just become a vehicle for one creative team. As for artists, they could go with people who have well-regarded runs on Spider-Man (Mark Bagley, Mark Buckingham, Terry Dodson, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Ryan Stegman, etc.) to keep with the theme, or with new voices. There might be later pairings of top writers who haven't done much work on the character, and fan-favorite artists.

Web of Spider-Man
    This would be a bit like what Detective Comics did for a while, featuring a team of heroes operating under Spider-Man's guidance. Potential members would include the Black Cat, Alpha (an arrogant powerhouse), Morbius, Silk and Harry Osborn (potential financier, he could very well want to make up for the terrible things his father did.) Keeping Spider-Man involved is good for sales, while the team aspects allows for a focus on the private lives of the ensemble, which means it doesn't have to contradict what's going on in Amazing Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (alternative title of Spider-Man: Headlines)
    Potential creative teams would be Ta-Nehisi Coates & Daniel Acuna, or Jason Aaron & Brett Booth. The basic hook is that this a series based on contemporary issues, as Peter's professional interests in journalism and scientific research would allow him to encounter people affected by news events. It's something that can get attention and generate stories, but doing it in a satellite book means you avoid affecting the Amazing Spider-Man brand, and the awkwardness when five-year old ASM issues are suddenly anachronistic.
    I agree. Amazing comes out twice a month. So there really is no need for another "ongoing" (despite the fact I've always enjoyed the satellites more than Amazing at times.) Plus they never seem to last longer than 12 - 24 months at best. The recent Spectacular lasted as long as it did due to getting two boosts in the form of the Legacy renumbering and issue #300.

I feel the best approach is how they are treating Symbiote Spider-man at the moment (which is how they treated Venom in the 90s). They aren't technically calling it on "ongoing" but it is successful enough to receive a follow up in Alien Reality and, according to Bleeding Cool, a third follow-up afterwards. It is a ongoing disguised as a series of mini-series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The "Sensational" title belongs to Ben. He has so little! Let him have one superlative!

I always felt like "Spectacular" was the strongest choice next to "Amazing."

-Pav, who prefers a broader focus in Spidey side-comics...
    Sensational is likely what we will get. Ben only starred in the first 11 (12 if you count #0). Peter was the star in the last 22 issues of volume 1 and was the star in the second volume (which was the renumbered Marvel Knights title). Plus, like FNSM, it was last published as a monthly prior to OMD. So the trademark is due for a dusting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree. Amazing comes out twice a month. So there really is no need for another "ongoing" (despite the fact I've always enjoyed the satellites more than Amazing at times.) Plus they never seem to last longer than 12 - 24 months at best. The recent Spectacular lasted as long as it did due to getting two boosts in the form of the Legacy renumbering and issue #300.
    If they feel there's something the new title adds that can't be done in ASM, then I think that probably justifies it in their eyes.

Astonishing Member

If they feel there's something the new title adds that can't be done in ASM, then I think that probably justifies it in their eyes.
    True. It really depends on the creative team and the approach they take. As I said in a follow up post, Sensational is looking to be a firm favourite for another go. Just because its been awhile since it had its last volume and we've already had Spectacular and FNSM.

Web is another possibility.