Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He would be an excellent choice.

Deathstroke just ended, and his run on that was quite well-regarded. Priest has a complex storytelling structure that could be a fit for a title that doesn't need to be as accessible as Amazing Spider-Man.

The main question is whether he could write and would be interested in a secondary title where he is mainly dealing with the consequences of events in other books (His Deathstroke did have some crossovers so he's done it before.)
    Those crossovers were with Titans and Teen Titans, which makes sense since Slade's debut was in New Teen Titans #2 in 1980. It's actually the Titans books that were slave to Deathstroke's ongoing plot. The first one ended with Wallace West quitting and joining Deathstroke's Defiance team. TT got him back when that story ended and he survived the roster change later on. The second one ends with Robin thinking he'd killed Slade. Of course, it was obvious in advance that he was faking it, else Deathstroke would've ended it's run there and then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it has to coordinate to the extent that stories in both books shouldn't contradict the other and that there shouldn't be an overlap, like villains appearing in both books at the same time. Outside of that, I think being its own thing is fine.
    You highlight one of the reasons why I am hesitant about returning to multiple satellites featuring the one character: it makes it hard to establish a singular creative vision. I guess I am just a big fan of one creator being the caretaker for a character for a few years. A second title is fine, provided it has a unique hook that doesn't contradict what's going on in the flagship.

Satellites were such a Spidey staple for years, I don't know why it's become so hard to maintain them. Maybe the market is just different now.
    The market is a very different landscape. Some people only have so much money to spend on comics (unless you are in a fortunate position with a wealth of disposable income) and they don't want to read multiple books just to keep up with what their favourite characters are doing. You'd think having the option to pick or choose which ones to follow would be freeing. It isn't, though.

Besides, we've all seen what happens when publishers have excess auxiliary titles. Returning to that would just cannibalize whoever is left.

Definitely having ASM come out twice a month has made it less vital to have a second or even third Peter Parker Spidey book on the shelves.
    I agree.

But I still think that with the right creative strategy, there's an audience that would support one.
    I think Marvel is finally getting it right by doing spin-offs that focus on an aspect of the heroes world (life, family, friends etc). The upcoming Daily Bugle book is the EXACT thing I want from spin-off titles.