Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Let's try this again: Legion of Super-Heroes: Five Years Later Omnibus

A previously smaller collection was cancelled. Let's hope this one isn't. This is set to be released (fingers crossed) on August 18, 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-...25JNV2037S6MQG

As DC's 30th century super-team, the Legion of Super-Heroes had always stood as a shining example of futuristic optimism--but that changed in 1989 with a new Legion of Super-Heroes series that brought the timeline forward five years. In this even further future, the United Planets became a darker place, with familiar characters changed and the Earth overtaken by alien invaders--and the team reunited to take on these dangerous new threats.

Now this bold and controversial part of DC history is finally collected in an omnibus edition, from the creative team of DC legend Keith Giffen and Tom and Mary Bierbaum!

Collects Adventures of Superman #478, Legion of Super-Heroes #1-39, Who's Who #1-11, #13, #14, #16, Timber Wolf #1-5, and Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #1-3.

I found random issues of this run at a salvation army. It fits more plot in a single page than most comics fit in an arc! Will collect the rest for sure.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man I hope this one comes out. It collects all the best of that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    It fits more plot in a single page than most comics fit in an arc!
    Well put. Come to think of it that is probably one of the reasons I liked it so much. It did take the characters in a totally new direction but so much happened each issue and the text pages in the back helped make it feel real and engaging from the beginning.

Extraordinary Member

Great that they have all the Keith Giffen issues included.

I know that it says it's not the final cover art, but that is an unusual choice for the cover. I think the cover of issue #8 would be better. What do you guys think?

Incredible Member

Are these collections in full color?

I'm lucky enough to have the entire original run. I really didn't like how they ended it but overall I consider it one of the best Legion runs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have the entire original run. I really didn't like how they ended it but overall I consider it one of the best Legion runs ever.
    It was basically a Vertigo Legion. I loved it even as I had to dig and study to see who was who, but it was the best future story for a bunch of characters I've ever seen. Cast changes were what I'd point out as my favorite part. Every workplace gets a shift in five years as some leave and some others come on. The 5YL Legion did this.

You're all going to make me dig my copies out and read them again, aren't you?

Who's Who #1-11, #13, #14, #16 is an odd addition.
    You'd think they'd go with the 8-issue 'Who's Who in the Legion' that directly preceded the 5YL Legion series (by a year) and served as a great primer on Legion history.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Who's Who #1-11, #13, #14, #16 is an odd addition.
    You'd think they'd go with the 8-issue 'Who's Who in the Legion' that directly preceded the 5YL Legion series (by a year) and served as a great primer on Legion history.
    I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it's just going to be the pages that are about the Legion and not the entire issues of Who's Who. Again, I could be wrong.

I forgot to mention in the OP that the omnibus is 1,456 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it's just going to be the pages that are about the Legion and not the entire issues of Who's Who. Again, I could be wrong.

I forgot to mention in the OP that the omnibus is 1,456 pages.
    That would be better, but they'd be a little out of date compared to the '88 profiles.
    They probably should've stuck them in the Baxter trades.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That would be better, but they'd be a little out of date compared to the '88 profiles.
    They probably should've stuck them in the Baxter trades.
    This is an example of the Who's Who I'm thinking about and a link to a feature on this. They referred to it as the Loose Leaf Who's Who.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...f-edition.html

Last edited by caj; 12-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

If this actually sees print this time, I'll definitely pick it up... although I would've preferred 3 deluxe editions.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This is an example of the Who's Who I'm thinking about and a link to a feature on this. They referred to it as the Loose Leaf Who's Who.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...f-edition.html

Oh! Those!
    I always forget they existed because I disliked the format.

That does make better sense for the Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It was basically a Vertigo Legion. I loved it even as I had to dig and study to see who was who, but it was the best future story for a bunch of characters I've ever seen. Cast changes were what I'd point out as my favorite part. Every workplace gets a shift in five years as some leave and some others come on. The 5YL Legion did this.

You're all going to make me dig my copies out and read them again, aren't you?
    More than a Vertigo Legion, it was a Dark Knight Returns Legion. 5YL had all the tropes from post TDKR era, applied to the Legion myths: older heroes, lost idealism, decadent society, broken friendships, corruption of older characters, cynism, gratuitous deaths. It was a representative of the dark age of comics. If it would had been an history with his own timeline or reality, an elseworld or an independent graphic novel, it would had worked better. This changed the concept of the Legion and the context they supposedly repressents.

I don't say it was bad. It had its strengs, specially on some sci-fi aspects of the society. But this iteration it was a product of its time, one of many with heroes becoming darker and burned out. I'm glad there are people who liked, but I think this era is when everything started to go wrong with the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin