Extraordinary Member

Default Frozen 2 (spoilers)

Saw the movie last night.

MAJOR SPOILERS!

It's a better feature-length adaptation of Avatar The Last Airbender than M. Night Shamylan's version, at the very least. The visuals are great. I think I like the music from the first movie better, but the songs are still quite good for the most part.

Olaf is much better in the sequel, but Kristoff has no point being there, to the point where he literally disappears in the middle. He could have been written out entirely and the only real change would be the movie would lose 2 of its lesser songs. Olaf is literally more important to the plot that Kristoff by a very wide margin.

I liked the parents' new backstory. It doesn't explain why they shut Elsa away in the first movie, but it shows they cared deeply for her. I also liked the Elsa-Anna plot in general, but I wasn't so thrilled with the resolution. First it seemed kind of rushed, and then the way everyone got a happy ending didn't seem to flow from the characters' stories. Anna becoming queen had nothing to do with her arc and was just a way for Elsa to leave for the north.

And if they were going to say that Elsa belongs in the north and so must stay as the bridge with the spirits, then I think they should have gone all the way with it. Have her stay in Ahtohallan in order to fulfill her new duties and be unable to reunite with Anna and her people. Just having her stay with the other nation in the forest while visiting Anna once a week seemed like a big copout to me and 'I'm magic, this place is magic, so I belong here' is not enough of an explanation. It makes her look like she's running away from all responsibility rather than embracing who she was meant to be all along, which is the exact opposite of what they were going for.

I know Disney films are expected to have unambiguously happy endings, but to me this story needed to end on a more bittersweet note with Elsa and Anna really separated if Elsa was going to give up the throne and the film was serious about its theme of change,

Astonishing Member

Yes, the ending was disjointed because the main characters ended up basically deciding to separate.

It's not like the Wreck it Ralph ending though because Elsa never asked to be queen, I do think it's honest of the character arc that she only ever wanted to find the place where she belonged.

I feel like there now has to be a 3rd movie to resolve all of this stuff.

I still never totally understood who was calling Elsa.

The North/Forest people looked like they were supposed to be Inuit, but their mom looked like the one caucasian person there.

Kristoff's songs were awesome though. I thought the music from the first one was better but the songs from the 2nd are more in my head than the first one was. There's no really big hit though.

Extraordinary Member

Elsa was basically being called by herself. The 'fifth element' spirit living within her was the voice she was hearing and it brought her up north and into the glacier where her human and spirit halves could be united.