Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Default Fallen Angels #2: The War Within *spoilers*

Oh boy.

The issue starts off with a flashback taking place in London where we see Kwannon conversing with a Japanese man to get him out of the country. However asking him some questions, she kills him and some other pursuers.

We then cut to present day on Krakoa where Kwannon is talking to Laura. Kwannon then leaves to rendezvous with Cable who was tracking Overdrive for her. Cable tells her he had a contact in a place called Sao Mateus and the location is most likely a cartel for Overdrive. Cable says the contact died so they should go and bail the slaves out but Kwannon replies that they should only leave the island to go after Apoth. Cable says he'll deal with it himself. Dazzler shows up. Eh.

After some data pages, we're in another flashback but in Japan. Now Kwannon saves a Japanese woman from some assassins and conversation reveals that the woman was the wife of the guy Kwannon killed at the start. Kwannon gets her out of the country and reveals that she's only helping cuz when she was in the guy's mind he saw that he loved her and their unborn child. The internal monologue continues and reveals that the woman got killed later anyway.

We cut to Mr. Sinister who asks her about her butterflies. Kwannon says something about giving them a new meaning. Mr. Sinister says looking for redemption is pointless but he'll help her cuz he's still interested.

Kwannon meets up with Cable and Laura and they travel to Sao Mateus. They get attacked by some tentacle robot guarding the facility.

TBC.

Opinion: Art's still bad but it looks like the plot should pick up next issue.

5/10
    "Cable was right!"

I'm not really feeling this story as much as the others feels out of place for me personally
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I love the pace it's going at, personally, because I think it's what's needed. It isn't throwing a thousand and one things at us straight away, but it is advancing quite timely and organically.

Though I'm not 100% sold on Laura's motivations, I can buy that she needs a way to channel the anger she'd been working on with Gabby since the kid's apparently MIA somewhere and I like the chemistry set up between the three. It isn't mentor-mentee, so much as an equal balance. Everyone offers what they can and each learn from it.

Additionally, I love the themes being explored and I love to see so much empathy! I mean, god, I despised Kid Cable before this very issue. Like, just that raw, seething compassion; he isn't a war-hungry little brat, he wants to get out there and stop those atrocities because he knows it's right! Like it was going against his very core just to sit around and wait! And Kwannon's line was interesting, about how the more they leave the more they turn Krakoa against them? I don't think it was quite meant literally, but either way it's an interesting thing to consider; how much can a mutant interact with the outside world before the rest of the nation see's them as outsiders at best and traitors at worst?

This is the kind of nuanced perspective I've been looking for! Absolute perfection.

BANNED

Another great issue, loved the explanation for Kwannon's butterfly and the implication Kwannon and Betsy were destined to cross paths or bodies or whatever.

Everyone worried abt Kwannon mentoring the other two should be at rest, its stated to be a give and take relationship.

Forget Daken this book needs Miss Sinister.

BANNED

Twitter People hating on this book should be cleansed.

The artist draws an ugly Kwannon, but other than that, I enjoy the art

I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I love the pace it's going at, personally, because I think it's what's needed. It isn't throwing a thousand and one things at us straight away, but it is advancing quite timely and organically.

Though I'm not 100% sold on Laura's motivations, I can buy that she needs a way to channel the anger she'd been working on with Gabby since the kid's apparently MIA somewhere and I like the chemistry set up between the three. It isn't mentor-mentee, so much as an equal balance. Everyone offers what they can and each learn from it.

Additionally, I love the themes being explored and I love to see so much empathy! I mean, god, I despised Kid Cable before this very issue. Like, just that raw, seething compassion; he isn't a war-hungry little brat, he wants to get out there and stop those atrocities because he knows it's right! Like it was going against his very core just to sit around and wait! And Kwannon's line was interesting, about how the more they leave the more they turn Krakoa against them? I don't think it was quite meant literally, but either way it's an interesting thing to consider; how much can a mutant interact with the outside world before the rest of the nation see's them as outsiders at best and traitors at worst?

This is the kind of nuanced perspective I've been looking for! Absolute perfection.
    What they say about Krakoa, I think it refers to the fact that although we know that it is the right thing, for a country it is a complicated situation to have its citizens performing black ops in other countries. They are not an official group like the X-Men or Marauders so Krakoa cannot support them publicly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    What they say about Krakoa, I think it refers to the fact that although we know that it is the right thing, for a country it is a complicated situation to have its citizens performing black ops in other countries. They are not an official group like the X-Men or Marauders so Krakoa cannot support them publicly.
    (They can't support the Marauders publicly either though, 'cos of the black market connections?) But even so, this isn't really black-ops like X-Force. This is just more...vigilante justice? Nobody's really 'sanctioned' or official, they're just going out to do what they feel they have to do.

And, either way...would the public know? If it's black-ops and all?

BANNED

Oh look, Cable wants to avenge a dead sapiens friend. But I was told all mutants want to exterminate humanity :/// Scott needs to have a stern talk with him.

Astonishing Member

Better then issue 1, but some down falls. Laura line fells better after hill explained it on twitter, but I shouldn't be needing to use Twitter to properly understand what the writer wanted to do. The art while I'm getting used to it, is still hard to follow in some places.(dont like the random face part close ups). I dont like laura or cable new jumpsuits, their generic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Better then issue 1, but some down falls. Laura line fells better after hill explained it on twitter, but I shouldn't be needing to use Twitter to properly understand what the writer wanted to do. The art while I'm getting used to it, is still hard to follow in some places.(dont like the random face part close ups). I dont like laura or cable new jumpsuits, their generic.
    Gotta disagree on Laura; it's much more fitting for her than her prior one, if only because we've never actually gotten a commentary from her on her sense of fashion in relation to herself. She's always felt as if she's just been 'put' in things, like a doll. Even if it's temporary, this feels more indicative of what she's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The artist draws an ugly Kwannon, but other than that, I enjoy the art
    The art does doesn't let me enjoy this whole thing like I probably should.

BANNED

I don’t believe X-23 fans have any consistent idea what they want. All I know is the less human and more stoic she is, the more bored I am. I like her when she evolves or reaches out to other people. Without that she’s just the glorified fanfic OC do not steal.

Ya, I’m out. Story is blah, and the characters range from pretentious nonsense to boring cut outs.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-27-2019 at 10:59 AM.