Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don’t know what about the book triggers such intense negative reactions other than fandoms + the lingering impression that it’s the grimdark for the sake of it book, like KYost X-Force (which I never liked). I don’t think it’s that at all; I think it’s a series of intimate character studies. It’s not for everyone, but I love the writing and the art, and I love what Hill is doing with Psylocke, Sinister, Magneto, etc. The kids are mostly support to me so far, and I find them fine. If others don’t that’s their prerogative.
    The most jarring reactions are the ones that are saying they hate the book for being too dark, then turning around and praising X-Force. Make it make sense.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Perhaps "dark" in terms of visual atmosphere in the artwork rather than action-thriller themes?
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

You mean it literally being too dark?? Im pretty sure they meant the mood of the book was too dire despite the final page reveal of X-Force showing us a half-skinned Domino

Well this was....odd, it mostly feel like a character study for Kwannon and is trying to give her depth wich is interesting, but it's also the only strong point about this book. The art looks strange, with incredibly weird proportions, i want to think that is some sort of artistic choice, but it felt more like the penciler isn't the right one for the book. But eh, maybe i'm just bias.

With that said though, if you are fan of Cable or Laura, i don't think that there is much for you to look forward, there is very little of then here and they feel more like supporting characters than actual teamates.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I liked the issue. I think it is odd that she kept the codename. I wish that was explained better. Betsy was still going by Psylocke in disassembled after she was back in her original look, so I wish they had explained why she dropped it? I guess because she found out Kwannon was alive and it would be confusing for everyone ??

I liked the acknowledgment of the butterfly with Betsy. That was great. The dark tone is ok and the close ups aren't annoying to me because that is the "style" of this book.

BANNED

I liked this issue quite a bit. I enjoy how different it feels from the rest of the X-line. The dark, philosophical vibe works for it, in my opinion.

I don’t get thE hate for this issue but if there’s one consistency with DOX, it’s the inconsistent reviews for all the issues. Everything is so split and it’s hard to really get a gist of how good anything is because reviews are all over the place.

It definitely wasn’t as good as the first issue no doubt about that but I still liked it. I’m actually loving these trio of characters and kid cable isn’t annoying as hell like X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I liked this issue quite a bit. I enjoy how different it feels from the rest of the X-line. The dark, philosophical vibe works for it, in my opinion.
    Very true. It definitely has a much different vibe then the rest of the series.

The incredibly-amateur artwork on a high profile Marvel book like this is shocking. The artist seems to have absolutely no idea how the human body moves. Laura looks like she is taking a dump on the last page. And Kwannon looks like an asian Barbie doll with one frozen facial expression in the entire issue. More like an actual doll than a real woman.

Also, Kwannon of-all-people is going to teach Laura and Cable anything? That stretches credulity beyond belief. It would be nice to have some scenes with them that are not just Kwannon talking-at them. They don't actually exist in this story outside of their interactions with her.

This book is the worst. I'm out.

Fantastic Member

The book is trying to take sort of a mystical angle; treating Kwannon as a mentor to the young and still-needing-to-learn Cable and X-23. But that doesn't work, for a number of reasons.

Kwannon: how is she a mentor to anybody? why would she want to step out into the world again and teach before she even figures out who she is without Betsy? She's literally been nothing but a shell for the actual Psylocke for decades, and she hasn't existed in all that time.. and then she shows up and it's time to handle random issues and take on students.

Why would X-23 or Cable turn to a person who's been mentally dead for decades (or trapped, if you go with the retcon) for advice? On how to control rage, especially? Is her answer going to be let someone use her body for a few years? No? Then what could Kwannon possibly teach her? She will end up regurgitating lessons and values of The Hand, and boy are there multiple people more appropriate to take those from than Kwannon. Not to mention the fact that X-23 has already been through this song and dance and is just a huge waste of the character to act like she still needs to 'learn' control. X-men evolution didn't birth her for these kinds of character backpedals.

Kid Cable is the least likable and least interesting character being shown in multiple books in DoX.

If you want someone to be viewed and respected as a teacher, first you have to show their ascension or competency in being that mentor figure. Kwannon has done neither of those things, and needed time to show who she is, period, before she goes on playing that role. Without a credible belief that Kwannon is at all qualified, her "every master is a slave" epithets come off as pseudo-intellectual bullshit, not lessons learned from the tribulations of her own life (which has only been glimpsed in specific panels or entirely glossed over, as it pertains to her time with Betsy).

The art certainly doesn't help anything, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    The incredibly-amateur artwork on a high profile Marvel book like this is shocking.
    I get that tastes vary but I don't find the art here to be poor or amateurish at all. I think it does a solid job of conveying the moody tone that's called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Also, Kwannon of-all-people is going to teach Laura and Cable anything? That stretches credulity beyond belief. It would be nice to have some scenes with them that are not just Kwannon talking-at them. They don't actually exist in this story outside of their interactions with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Kwannon: how is she a mentor to anybody? why would she want to step out into the world again and teach before she even figures out who she is without Betsy? She's literally been nothing but a shell for the actual Psylocke for decades, and she hasn't existed in all that time.. and then she shows up and it's time to handle random issues and take on students.
    Whoa, it’s almost as if Hill is fleshing out Kwannon’s character as someone who’s shown mastery over a number of things that she feels she can redirect to character she can empathize with, while also learning from those same people as they help her unlearn painful trauma that she’s had to undergo. Y’all really gotta read this book and not decide to hate it before it comes out because you don’t like Kwannon.
    Last edited by Tycon; 11-27-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    The book is trying to take sort of a mystical angle; treating Kwannon as a mentor to the young and still-needing-to-learn Cable and X-23. But that doesn't work, for a number of reasons.

"Decades" so you are saying that Betsy Braddock is 30 or 40 something? It hasn't been decades sadly because of sliding time scale all these adventures take place in a relatively short period of time. Kwannon is mid 20 something probably around Cyclops magic "27", X-23 is about 18ish, Young Cable is about 16 range. Yes X-23 and Cable should be more confident in this book that is factual. But the story some of you guys are selling is wrong this character Kwannon who was probably an assassin from young, who has years of experience as master assassin probably 5 or 6 year stretch of being in *coma via Besty. Kwannon teaching about 18 year old and 16 year old isn't that crazy. Just my opinion

* The recton has Kwannon being aware of what was happening to her while Betsy was in control of her body. So that time period might not be all useless
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-27-2019 at 11:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    X-23 is about 18ish
    She's 20-21, so if Kwannon is only in her mid-20s it casts even MORE doubt over just how much more experienced she actually is. If, as you say, Kwannon spent 5-6 years in a coma, then Laura has literally had just as much practical, real-world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I don’t mind this, actually. There’sa nuance to the characters you don’t often see in the super punching genre - no-one is entirely one thing. The preview had me worrying Psylocke was going to be some bullshit Mr Miyagi type guru, but instead the characters shift a bit around each other as they form new bonds.

I think someone here speculated that Kwannon sort-of resented and admired Betsy at the same time for her natural heroism, and that definitely came into play in this issue, with Kwannon upgrading her former backseat driver from “Braddock” to “Elizabeth”, while asking Cable and Laura to teach her heroism. The pace is a tad slow, but it’s not like Bendis slow. It’s a bit more like Coates Black Panther, where ideas have more currency than action.
    put that blurb on the trade!

“I don’t mind this, actually” - Mr Cochise CBR Forums

Hehe