Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don’t believe X-23 fans have any consistent idea what they want. All I know is the less human and more stoic she is, the more bored I am. I like her when she evolves or reaches out to other people. Without that she’s just the glorified fanfic OC do not steal.
    Other than a certain subset who look at Liu-23 the way many fans stop with Claremont, most X-23 fans DON'T want her "less human and stoic." The problem isn't about Laura developing or showing more emotion (for one thing, Laura was prone to extreme mood shifts under KYost. The point at the time was that she didn't understand what she felt, not that she didn't have them. She didn't become Robo-Laura until the Liu series). It's about how that development is presented.

One of the single biggest mistakes Hopeless made in ANXMv2 was the whole "Fake it 'till you make it" BS, which was just an excuse for her to be "Something Something Bub LEEROY JENKINS Snikt!" Logan Clone that Hopeless wanted to write. The idea that all of the development she was showing since the Liu book ended was just a front for the benefit of others came across as invalidating all of that development. Now we have her using the same "I'm just making it look like I'm feeling to make other people happy" shtick.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I appreciate that Hill is fleshing out Psylocke, and the additions to her background are interesting. But everything else is very flat. The dialogue isn't great, and the plot is kind of boring. I'm confused as to why Sinister cares about Psylocke's thoughts about anything. The art is bad, takes me out of the story bad. The reason so much of the book is colored so darkly is because when it's well lit you can see how oddly proportioned and awkward everything looks. I think this book is probably not for me, a shame because I was looking forward to Husk and Bling.

Even worse than #1.
    Dialogues are terrible. The writer is trying to make some meaningful conversations, but characters are not convincing.
    It would be easier and more palatable if for some external reason this group was put together and they fight the Apoth.
    This idea of Kwannon tutoring Laura and Cable and asking Sinister permission for leave Krakoa is very stupid.

And finally, we have the completely horrible art.
    The close-ups at first looked like a script decision. But now I'm pretty sure it's because Kudranski is a very limited artist.
    Look how terrible proportions the characters have when drawn in full body.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Weird, people were so positive with the first issue and now are so negative with the second. What happened to have such a sharp turn around?
    Why because whears the lobster ? Where is bill the lobster, the most important character hasent appeared yet and we are angry.

Also Matsu'o is apoth

BANNED

This was eh..ok. Um very dark, but i'd say Issue 1 was a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Even worse than #1.
    Dialogues are terrible. The writer is trying to make some meaningful conversations, but characters are not convincing.
    It would be easier and more palatable if for some external reason this group was put together and they fight the Apoth.
    This idea of Kwannon tutoring Laura and Cable and asking Sinister permission for leave Krakoa is very stupid.
    Krakoa is under lockdown. This was established in #1.

I don’t mind this, actually. There’sa nuance to the characters you don’t often see in the super punching genre - no-one is entirely one thing. The preview had me worrying Psylocke was going to be some bullshit Mr Miyagi type guru, but instead the characters shift a bit around each other as they form new bonds.

I think someone here speculated that Kwannon sort-of resented and admired Betsy at the same time for her natural heroism, and that definitely came into play in this issue, with Kwannon upgrading her former backseat driver from “Braddock” to “Elizabeth”, while asking Cable and Laura to teach her heroism. The pace is a tad slow, but it’s not like Bendis slow. It’s a bit more like Coates Black Panther, where ideas have more currency than action.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Yeah, Kwannon's admiration/resentment for Betsy was handled well in her dialogue IMHO. Also her thoughts of how she and likely her "team" could become increasingly isolated from the Krakoan population the more often they pop out for what is plainly an unofficial and unsanctioned mission gives food for thought.

Somebody mentioned in the FA #1 thread that "Apoth" could be an entity ascending to godhood (fro "apotheosis"). At first blush it may be an anti-mutant being.
    spoilers:
    Imagine a twist when Kwannon kills it and it was actually an entity born at the moment of mutantkind establishing themselves in Krakoa, that was ascending to become their patron deity (a mutant Slaanesh?). Then her concerns of Krakoa becoming hostile to her is triggered.
    end of spoilers
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Its not even regression, Laura acknowledges her more upbeat behavior but she says its a front. Its a different interpretation is all. She can still be quippy Ghandi with the claws when she hangs around Gabby.
    That's actually worse, because it retcons what was supposed to genuine character growth for Laura into cynical 'pretending to be happy' junk. Basically this series is saying everything we saw of her in ANW and X23 was lies and she was actually miserable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That's actually worse, because it retcons what was supposed to genuine character growth for Laura into cynical 'pretending to be happy' junk. Basically this series is saying everything we saw of her in ANW and X23 was lies and she was actually miserable.
    Not miserable. Trying.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

If her "killing" her trigger-scent reaction back in ANW still holds, that's one "cape period" development retained at least.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

BANNED

I don’t know what about the book triggers such intense negative reactions other than fandoms + the lingering impression that it’s the grimdark for the sake of it book, like KYost X-Force (which I never liked). I don’t think it’s that at all; I think it’s a series of intimate character studies. It’s not for everyone, but I love the writing and the art, and I love what Hill is doing with Psylocke, Sinister, Magneto, etc. The kids are mostly support to me so far, and I find them fine. If others don’t that’s their prerogative.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

I enjoyed Fallen Angel's #2 immensely today. Kwannon is such a pleasure to read and learning about her past. Also Laura and WiFi aren't half bad in this book. Can't wait until next month for issue #3
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Fantastic Member

i don't like this book. the art is not all that and the story is just.... its not grabbing me. i bought this issue for the dazzler cameo, but that sucked too.

i do like getting to know kwannon though. that seems like an exciting concept. but the direction they're taking it is falling flat for me. same with laura and cable's motives. they're kind of played out. first issue laura stated dismay re: being in logan's shadow which i guess is ok, but it somehow seems out of character. cable i can see having a hard time adjusting to happiness and wanting justice but i haven't really bought into his motivation for wanting to be a part of this story at all.
    Last edited by Tunasammiches; 11-27-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Isn't this issue called Shoto, not The War Within? Well whatever.

I LOVED THIS. It's slightly repetitive (Sinister sitting on a throne type chair, while Kwannon addresses him, just like with both him and Mags in issue 1).

And all the close up shots of faces is ... OK. Just it gets a bit overused for "dramatic effect" at times.

Really hate calling her "Psylocke" (and hate her wearing that bikini costume) but her characterization is definitely distinct from Betsy that's for sure.

This book is fun, exciting, and intense. A good heavy read. This book much better captures the SPIRIT or FEELING of intense serious drama , while in XForce it's like you're being TOLD "this is serious shit" but it comes off a bit too routine or banal there.

By far my fave of the three issue 2's to be released this week!

Even Young Cable is looking good and seeming competent. Laura is tough as nails and a badass as she should be. The Dazzler interaction felt sort of pointless right now but perhaps she'll reappear later on I guess
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY