Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You mean it literally being too dark?? Im pretty sure they meant the mood of the book was too dire despite the final page reveal of X-Force showing us a half-skinned Domino
    Tbf they hated the first X-Force issue too.

Not really going to be discussing this book but just thought I would chime in to say for me this is the worst type of comic. Over serious, dark, full of faux angst, posed art, pretentious sentiment, cliched dialogue these things make it unreadable for me. I got about four pages in and had to stop. I am used to reading comics I don’t enjoy, but I find it hard to swallow when I can’t even read the whole issue.

I am sure there is an audience for this kind of book, but this is the kind of story that put me off comics decades ago, and I have no desire to read more.

P.S. my rant helped me get through the rest of the issue. Nothing changed.

I will chime in a little on X23. It is entirely understandable that fans of the Tom Taylor run would get upset about this book. It betrays the sense of progression and direction that it offered. Not least because for the longest time ANW was the one of the few books worth reading in the whole X-line.

It is fine to maintain Laura’s grimness. That is a part of her character. She didn’t come out of ANW suddenly happy or out of Logan’s shadow, but she did come out of that book in a far better place than this. She had direction. There was a sense that she had left behind some of her baggage. So to see her weighed down with baggage again is disheartening.

Now, don’t get me wrong. We see this all of the time with multiple characters and I am fine with it. Solo books are very different to team books, and it is unreasonable to expect a new team writer to incorporate every facet of a character that was explored in a very different style book. However, this book doesn’t feel like a team book yet. It feels like a solo focused on Psylocke with a couple of sidekicks.

I would simply say, those fearing Laura has been regressed need not worry too much. Taylor’s work still stands, even though it is not reflected here. Another writer will surely come along in the future and use her better than this. But, in the meantime I can understand why a fan of hers would have zero interest in reading this. It is a small but significant part of why I won’t be reading this.

Because of the apparently high profile anger over this I just know that before the end of this story we will get a Laura focused book that attempts to square the circle on her character, but I won’t be reading it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-28-2019 at 01:56 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

This was a pretty joyless book with some iffy art.
    Also why is Laura being so dour and dark about everything? Did Gabbi/Jonathan die at some point? Because she her little family has been enough for her in the past few years.

I am in the minority here but I enjoyed this issue. It was the weakest of the 3 that came out today but still an enjoyable story. I didn't notice the art being bad, but it also didn't stand out so I'm going to give the issue a re-read. Some of the dialogue was clunky but overall a good issue.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

All-New Member

Whoa, it’s almost as if Hill is fleshing out Kwannon’s character as someone who’s shown mastery over a number of things that she feels she can redirect to character she can empathize with, while also learning from those same people as they help her unlearn painful trauma that she’s had to undergo. Y’all really gotta read this book and not decide to hate it before it comes out because you don’t like Kwannon.
    And that's okay, just not with characters like Laura or Cable, who are experienced combatants and warriors with multiple such situations under their belts.

Kwannon is still a half-character, the story they're going for with her thus far has been flimsy and it solely relies on her looking like the 90s version of Psylocke. Also can homegirl stop blaming Betsy for everything like jfc it was your boyfriend that did this to you.

Also the butterfly thing is BS, but what can you do.

I am on the fence with this book. While this is the kind of thematic, I like to follow, the book does not manage to catch me. The art is somtimes odd.
    Sometimes I wish engish to be my first language to write so spot on:

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I will chime in a little on X23. It is entirely understandable that fans of the Tom Taylor run would get upset about this book. It betrays the sense of progression and direction that it offered. ...

It is fine to maintain Laura’s grimness. That is a part of her character. She didn’t come out of ANW suddenly happy or out of Logan’s shadow, but she did come out of that book in a far better place than this. She had direction. There was a sense that she had left behind some of her baggage. So to see her weighed down with baggage again is disheartening.
    Last edited by Gylfie; 11-28-2019 at 03:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Whoa, it’s almost as if Hill is fleshing out Kwannon’s character as someone who’s shown mastery over a number of things that she feels she can redirect to character she can empathize with, while also learning from those same people as they help her unlearn painful trauma that she’s had to undergo. Y’all really gotta read this book and not decide to hate it before it comes out because you don’t like Kwannon.
    I already said this, but I'll reiterate since.. I don't know, maybe you missed it: I'm saying that she should be fleshed out before trying to redirect things we're learning that she knew all along (except she didn't, because they're all retcons of her character). Simultaneously trying to say 'this person who has been nothing but a body for decades is now a teacher to characters that have had meaningful character growth and story arcs longer than she has' doesn't really work for me. Maybe it does for you? In which case, more power to you. I find it to be rather uninteresting to see this (effectively) brand new character telling others who have done more than she has (literally and figuratively.. until it's retcon'd away) that she can teach them stuff. If anything, X-23 should be helping to teach Kwannon what it means to not be just like someone else as she's had to grow out of Logan's shadow at times like Kwannon is having to develop outside of Betsy's now.. but then I'd also say the first thing to do there is not to take their name, and that isn't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    "Decades" so you are saying that Betsy Braddock is 30 or 40 something? It hasn't been decades sadly because of sliding time scale all these adventures take place in a relatively short period of time. Kwannon is mid 20 something probably around Cyclops magic "27", X-23 is about 18ish, Young Cable is about 16 range. Yes X-23 and Cable should be more confident in this book that is factual. But the story some of you guys are selling is wrong this character Kwannon who was probably an assassin from young, who has years of experience as master assassin probably 5 or 6 year stretch of being in *coma via Besty. Kwannon teaching about 18 year old and 16 year old isn't that crazy. Just my opinion

* The recton has Kwannon being aware of what was happening to her while Betsy was in control of her body. So that time period might not be all useless
    I was referring to real-life time, it's impossible to deduce accurate measures of in-comic time because of the sliding time scale. It's all over the place.

When are we gonna see Gomi??? Or Ariel?? Is even settle for the very 80s Black boy turned Asian girl, unlikeable trans character Chase....wow
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I am in the minority here but I enjoyed this issue. It was the weakest of the 3 that came out today but still an enjoyable story. I didn't notice the art being bad, but it also didn't stand out so I'm going to give the issue a re-read. Some of the dialogue was clunky but overall a good issue.
    One guy's take...

This is potentially tied for being the most interesting corner of the new "Big Picture", even if the execution has been less than flawless.

Imo the art isn't bad but the art is inconsistent at times in the book.That said the art and color captures a certain feel which fits the tone of the book properly. Unlike say Excalibur or even Marauders which have both have great art but are little more bright and happy than imo books overall tone should be(Marauders has good bit humor tho) . So while it might not be the best art it fits the dark mood nature of the book now someone like Jerome Opena would be better choice but hey we can't have everything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    When are we gonna see Gomi??? Or Ariel?? Is even settle for the very 80s Black boy turned Asian girl, unlikeable trans character Chase....wow
    Ariel should have snatched the cameo spot from Dazzler. She could have taught Psylocke how to dress herself.

I like where Hill is going with this.
    I don't think he has the best take on Laura and Kid Cable is pretty meh, but I absolutely love his Kwannon.
    I just wish the art was better and more consistent. Some panels had huge anatomy issues and a little too much focus on cheesecake.

A much more enjoyable comic book about a ninja woman that has been through a body swap, has just come back from an absent period and is trying to find herself while facing her past:

Last edited by Mutant X; 11-28-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Kwannon sounds interesting as a character. More and more.

But this art.....horrendous. Also, Cable and Laura are still very much muted for me. Hope they get good voices soon. I still don't buy why they are a team.

Dazzler cameo was silly...and I feel they are trying to make her her new friend. How dare you Marvel?
    A picture would last longer darling...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You mean it literally being too dark?? Im pretty sure they meant the mood of the book was too dire despite the final page reveal of X-Force showing us a half-skinned Domino
    The book is literally dark alright.
    It was dark for the London flashback
    It was dark for the first island scenes
    It was dark for the Japan flashback
    It was dark for the Bar Sinister section

That was like 80% of the book. Can't wait for a new artist.
    "Cable was right!"