Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Graphic novels have always counted in the past. They should still be now.
    Agreed. They always have and still do.
    I'll change the copy of the rules on the Weekly Winners thread...for whatever that's worth.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Honestly, I feel that anything that could reasonably be described as 'comics' should fit-- comics, graphic novels, collected volumes, comic strip collections, children's books told solely in comics form, printed collections of webcomics, etc.

Honestly, I feel that anything that could reasonably be described as 'comics' should fit-- comics, graphic novels, collected volumes, comic strip collections, children's books told solely in comics form, printed collections of webcomics, etc.
    IMHO, the argument should be that something DOESN'T qualify. If there's something questionable, count it until there's a good reason not to.

Astonishing Member

I recall a couple of instances where people questioned whether the entry fit the rule. One was a mass-market paperback collection of Peanuts comic strips, rather than a trade collection of comic books. I see no problem with a comic strip collection, since it's all graphic storytelling. (In fact, the first comic books were collections of comic strips!) The other instance was the cover to the Bernie Wrightson illustrated Frankenstein. I believe the consensus herein was that it was basically a prose book, the remarkable graphic art notwithstanding, because most of the story was conveyed in words rather than drawings. In cases such as that, I personally would say that the contest-runner should allow the entry and just let the voters make the final choice. It's just too hard to make up a rule in advance that could be definitive in what is effectively a judgement call.

Ultimate Member

I recall a past contest where a Calvin and Hobbes book won. The parameters have always been pretty broad.
    Basically, if something doesn't fit, we'll know it when we see it.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I recall a couple of instances where people questioned whether the entry fit the rule. One was a mass-market paperback collection of Peanuts comic strips, rather than a trade collection of comic books. I see no problem with a comic strip collection, since it's all graphic storytelling. (In fact, the first comic books were collections of comic strips!) The other instance was the cover to the Bernie Wrightson illustrated Frankenstein. I believe the consensus herein was that it was basically a prose book, the remarkable graphic art notwithstanding, because most of the story was conveyed in words rather than drawings. In cases such as that, I personally would say that the contest-runner should allow the entry and just let the voters make the final choice. It's just too hard to make up a rule in advance that could be definitive in what is effectively a judgement call.
    There was a hard rule against Pulps in the pre-CBRmageddon version of the contest. I remember once having to change my entry because of it. Does the Frankenstein book qualify? Maybe.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-01-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Agreed. They always have and still do.
    I'll change the copy of the rules on the Weekly Winners thread...for whatever that's worth.
    I know there have been graphic novel winners in that past but the one I recall was the cover for the Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom Triumph and Torment GN by Mike Mignola

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-01-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    ...The other instance was the cover to the Bernie Wrightson illustrated Frankenstein. I believe the consensus herein was that it was basically a prose book, the remarkable graphic art notwithstanding, because most of the story was conveyed in words rather than drawings. In cases such as that, I personally would say that the contest-runner should allow the entry and just let the voters make the final choice. It's just too hard to make up a rule in advance that could be definitive in what is effectively a judgement call.
    I think in the case of the Wrightson Frankenstein, maybe people just don't realize there is a Wrightson Frankenstein graphic novel, titled "Frankenstein Alive, Alive!" Sequential art, panels, word balloons, etc. This was "inspired" by the famous novel.

However, over the years in contests people post this cover (below) instead, which is the cover to a reprint edition of Shelley's novel. The cover is by Wrightson and there are some interior illustrations by him too. Maybe people don't realize it, but this is a "book-book", a reprinted novel, etc., with text as shown below. Maybe people get the two works ("Alive, Alive!" and the reprinted novel) mixed up.

Last edited by Shalla Bal; 12-01-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

kirby101, who posted the cover I was planning to post.

seismic-2

honorable mention to Shalla Bal's cover.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My vote goes to foxley for one sexy cover!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!