Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default The 4 Captains and their roles so far

I want to talk a bit about the 4 captains.

In HoX/PoX it was revealed that the Quiet Council of Krakoa are assisted by the four Great Captains: the Captain Commander Cyclops and Gorgon, Bishop, and Magik.

Well, we do see Cyclops taking the lead, mostly in the X-Men series of course.

Bishop is one and is in the Marauders series. Though I do not see him acting as a being in charge or leading of anything. Actually Kate Pryde is more acting like a Captain, instead of acting like a real Red Queen. But Lucus is not for sure.

Then we have Magik, who is in New Mutants. But there the team-leaders are Sunspot and Mirage, so at best sh is 3rd in command, not a captain, right?

Finally, the 4th Captain is Gorgon, I wonder where he will turn up next. Have not heard of him yet.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Seems like the role that you are talking about was under a specific set of circumstances(as opposed to them being team leaders).

This is an excellent question. I think that of x-office dropped the ball pretty much with the decision to not make a book of The Captains. They are given broad powers to patrol, protect and ensure the safety of the island. Why are they on teams, or groups 5hat are consistently leaving? They should be the ones honing a portion of the mutants into a fighting force. How are dealing with the pressure of what happened to Xavier? Half the new books I could care less about, this is the one that held the potential to really get into the politics and infrastructure of the mutant island. I feel like this reboot is being wasted just to put the same characters back into the same old roles. A book about The Captains could have been a nice departure from the regular and show interaction with a group of alpha mutants that have minimal contact.

BANNED

I thought that the leadership of the Captains would be effective only in a war situation. Even with a little attack Krakoa is still under the authority of the Council.

While the assassination of Prof X should have been all but a declaration of war, because the mutants are still piecing together who exactly was responsible, and most likely it isn't exactly a traditional nation-state but a transnational entity of some sort, they are not exactly at war, and thus, the great Captains haven't been 'activated' as such. That said, Cyke is leading side missions in X-Men, Bishop is investigating international affairs, and Magik is establishing intergalactic ties with the New Mutants, so other than Gorgon, they all seem to be into some manner of statecraft, even without an active 'war'.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    While the assassination of Prof X should have been all but a declaration of war, because the mutants are still piecing together who exactly was responsible, and most likely it isn't exactly a traditional nation-state but a transnational entity of some sort, they are not exactly at war, and thus, the great Captains haven't been 'activated' as such. That said, Cyke is leading side missions in X-Men, Bishop is investigating international affairs, and Magik is establishing intergalactic ties with the New Mutants, so other than Gorgon, they all seem to be into some manner of statecraft, even without an active 'war'.
    These are the reasons why I think a book about them would be great. Let's see the progression of how they coordinate actions leading to what has to be some upcoming war.

Extraordinary Member

I have not read New Mutants, but having a captain just head off to space for an indefinite vacation seems odd.

Bishop, though, was off investigating something as far as I recall and was only being met up with by Kate's crew, but I admit I do not remember why they were meeting, but he seemed to still be working independently at the time.

Scott, of course, had been shown to be acting as a captain... maybe there is only one active captain for day to day operations.

As for Gorgon, well I hope his name did not get used for no reason, but with all this combined the idea of captains just seems like fluff for the sake of it.

X-men 3 could give us an insight on that, they have Cyclops in meeting with the council after all

The captains take charge only in war situations. They haven't been activated yet. In the X-Men 3 preview, Cyclops is still taking orders from the council.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Gorgon or Bishop probably should’ve been put in charge of the X-Force operation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    The captains take charge only in war situations. They haven't been activated yet. In the X-Men 3 preview, Cyclops is still taking orders from the council.
    It says they are responsible for state-related excursions all the time. Like, Professor X going to a cocktail party in another country should probably be overseen by a captain. Kate sailing a warship into countries and coming back with refugees should probably be overseen by a captain. These are the types of things that are typically a matter of a defense department.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have not read New Mutants, but having a captain just head off to space for an indefinite vacation seems odd.
    NM, as entertaining as it has been, is the most foolish thing the nascent nation could be doing[tactically]. Cypher is the only mutant who can fully communicate with Krakoa, and Magik is of course a Hell Lord and captain. All so that they could get their buddy? It's only because Hickman loves Sam and Roberto so much(and of course it leads to a permanent colony of mutants in Shi'Ar space, which is important to his grand scheme).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I'll say two things.
    1.Not an active war situation. The council didn't hand over authority.
    2.They're still figuring stuff out about being a nation and responsibilities that cimes with it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People should be used to the X-Men not doing their jobs properly.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Doug is the only one who can speak to Krakoa
    Magik is one of their captains and one of their best experts on human magic
    Roberto was Citizen X and he used his resources to re-create X-Corps but left before it was really established so we don't know if it will really follow his plans