Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Looking for single issue X-men Claremont recommendations.

I started getting into reading older x-men comics lately and was looking for some recommendations. The Claremont collections are generally pretty expensive or hard to find so I was trying to find some single issues that are worth searching the back issue's for.

Not just Claremont, but really anything before New X-men/Astonishing X-men era. Not saying those books aren't good just looking for earlier stuff.

I've read life death, wolverine weapon x and the japan story line, god loves, man kills, days of future past, phoenix saga, and a handful of others, but any one have any single issue's worth recommending?

Also really started getting into 90's X-men too. Kubert did some amazing stuff during that time. I think I prefer him over Lee.

Thanks
    Last edited by PoorStudent; 10-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.

BANNED

It's not difficult to find. Just buy the Marvel Masterwork trade paperback.

You might want to try to read the 3 issues Psylocke-Mandarin issue Uncanny #256 when she became a Ninja.

How about the New Mutants introduction in issue Uncanny # 167

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Claremont had a lot of great 2-parters between the Phoenix/Shi’ar Saga and the Dark Phoenix Saga, with only the Proteus Saga, as a 4 parter, being the stand-out multi-issue storyline. LifeDeath might be one of the greatest single issues of Claremont’s career though.

Also—technically not X-books, but Iron Fist 14 (first appearance of Sabretooth) and Iron Fist 15 (first CC/Byrne X-issue) are great, but expensive, one n done’s.

Uncanny X-Men #205 by Chris Claremont and Barry Windsor Smith

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Uncanny X-Men #205 by Chris Claremont and Barry Windsor Smith
    Ooooh yeah. The first appearance of cyborg Lady Deathstrike. Such a beautiful issue.

Extraordinary Member

Avengers Annual #10, while technically an Avengers comic, is basically part of Claremont's X-Men run because it features the first appearance of Rogue, with Mystique's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants as the villains. It's one of Claremont's most famous single-issue stories for tying up the story of Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel and calling out the way she had been treated by other writers, and it has terrific art (and color) by Michael Golden.

(Really it's part of Claremont's run on three books - Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman and Uncanny X-Men - with the Avengers as guest stars.)

BANNED

Classic X-Men

A bunch of one-shot back up stories with great art from John Bolton.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 10-01-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Avengers Annual #10, while technically an Avengers comic, is basically part of Claremont's X-Men run because it features the first appearance of Rogue, with Mystique's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants as the villains. It's one of Claremont's most famous single-issue stories for tying up the story of Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel and calling out the way she had been treated by other writers, and it has terrific art (and color) by Michael Golden.

(Really it's part of Claremont's run on three books - Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman and Uncanny X-Men - with the Avengers as guest stars.)
    I love how Shooter allowed Claremont to basically give himself and David Michelinie the finger for their treatment of Carol in the Avengers.

Strictly speaking, not single issue, but these are amongst my favorites:
    - X-Men & Alpha Flight 2-issue limited series
    - New Mutants Special Edition 1
    - Uncanny X-Men Annual 09

Marvel's merry band of mutants against Loki.
    Amazing artwork by Paul Smith and Art Adams.
    Collected edition is known as X-Men: Asgardian Wars.

Spider-Woman 37, 38 (first appearance of Siryn), Wolverine 10, God Loves, Man Kills, Uncanny 176, 180, 183, 184, 201, New Mutants 14, 15, 16, Annual 2, Uncanny Annual 3, 4, 5, 11, Uncanny 160. I’m sure I can think of loads more.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I've read life death, wolverine weapon x and the japan story line, god loves, man kills, days of future past, phoenix saga, and a handful of others, but any one have any single issue's worth recommending?
    For self-contained single-issue stories I would recommend:
    Uncanny X-Men #160 The story where Illyana Rasputin is kidnapped by the demon lord Belasco and the X-Men must go into Limbo to get her out;
    Uncanny X-Men #161 Flashback to Professor X meeting Magneto for the first time;
    Uncanny X-Men #175 Double-sized issue where the X-Men believe Cyclops is a resurrected Dark Phoenix;
    Uncanny X-Men #193 Double-sized issue with the X-Men fighting the Hellions (including the first appearance of Firestar);
    Uncanny X-Men #200 Double-sized issue featuring The Trial of Magneto;
    Uncanny X-Men #205 "Wounded Wolf" - Wolverine faces off against Lady Deathstrike and a cyborg death-squad on the snowbound streets of New York, with only kid-super-hero Katie Power for help (awesome Barry Windsor-Smith art).

Uncanny X-Men Annual #9 Though it's not strictly self-contained as it concludes a story from New Mutants Special Edition #1 I think it can be read on its own; the X-Men must go to Asgard in order to recue the New Mutants (fantastic art from Art Adams).
    Last edited by Panic; 10-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Classic X-Men

A bunch of one-shot back up stories with great art from John Bolton.
    This. Classic X-Men is an overlooked gem of 1-issue stories that don't get praised nearly enough. And John Bolton is definitely not a celebrated enough artist.

Spectacular Member

Uncanny X-Men #170 - Storm and Callisto fight in the Morlock tunnels

Spectacular Member

I started getting into reading older x-men comics lately and was looking for some recommendations. The Claremont collections are generally pretty expensive or hard to find so I was trying to find some single issues that are worth searching the back issue's for.

Not just Claremont, but really anything before New X-men/Astonishing X-men era. Not saying those books aren't good just looking for earlier stuff.

Also really started getting into 90's X-men too. Kubert did some amazing stuff during that time. I think I prefer him over Lee.

Thanks
    There isn’t a very good single issue of Uncanny X-men in which Beast discovers the X-men have been performing as side show freaks in a circus - issue #111. It’s very good, but the Classic X-men issue that covers it is better because there is an accompanying backstory on how Mesmero kidnapped Jean so that she could help him get the other X-men - Classic X-men #17.