Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Maybe Hickman is trying to compromise with his take on Cyke and kind of position him inbetween Revolutionary and Boy Scout.

For me, the entire XMen series almost comes off as like a sequence of dreams or fantasies that Cyclops is having, him as the faux-idyllic father raising his children, barbecuing on the moon with his wife and lover and relatives, bravely going on adventures against monsters in a lighthearted and almost "Leave it to Beaver" type way. You know? It's SO odd. And the robot dialogue/art without facial expressions massively amplifies these feelings.
    Yeah, I'm definitely getting those vibes. Even in his boyscout era, there was a lot more life in his lines, but most of that could come from how he bounced off of other characters. Here there's just...nothing. I mean I'm not even seeing it between Jean and Emma, to be honest, that interaction just makes me go "...Ok...?" even taking into consideration their past history. It leaves no impact one way or the other, it just...kinda is. Same thing with Rachel and Nate, actually. (And that's saying something because Nate in Fallen Angels? May as well be a completely different character--and I mean that in the best possible way!)

I think I'm gonna have to pass on this from now on. The dialogue is still awful, I'll flick through it instore to see if anything interesting happens.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Agree about the dialogue, the Emma/Jean interaction was so wooden that I sort of shrugged my soldiers. Only Emma some what sounded like Emma. Jean felt like she was trying to hard. And even the discussion about shoes was a bit robotic.

But I suppode Hickmans strength is his ideas. The subtext behind the interaction is more interesting then the actual dialogue.

Also Cyclops speech sounds very much like Danger.

Love this preview!

Honestly, Marvel could release a giant sized, 80 page comic of just Jean Grey and Emma Frost exchanging witty barbs and I'd gladly pay $10 for it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

It feels like HOXPOX and HiX-Men were written by 2 completely different writers. No HOXPOX magic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It feels like HOXPOX and HiX-Men were written by 2 completely different writers. No HOXPOX magic here.
    HoxPox is mostly a high concept books. DoX is more character oriented and hickman seems to fail on it

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    In reverse order:

1. Used to think similarly. Now it's beyond tedious.
    2. *What* new dynamic? Just throwing it out there, but we might be dealing with multiple layers of authorial trolling, here.
    Yeah, I want to know about this new dynamic. For now it is *wink wink* *hint hint* without developing anything else
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-29-2019 at 07:58 AM.

To each their own...I’m not sure how this is appealing to people. The dialogue is just so flat. Book is inching closer and closer to being dropped by me. I’m trying to stick it out but I keep feeling like Hickman is trolling me with how lifeless these interactions between characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously! I love the new dynamic as well.
    It's no more "gag" than Claremont's neverending Rogue/Gambit's "will they won't they" schtick. Or his Jean/Scott's "star-crossed lovers who could never be...because reasons". With both scenarios mired in tedious, melodramatic doom and gloom misery. Ugh!
    At least HiX-Man is serving up something different and fun.
    All of this-ness!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously! I love the new dynamic as well.
    It's no more "gag" than Claremont's neverending Rogue/Gambit's "will they won't they" schtick. Or his Jean/Scott's "star-crossed lovers who could never be...because reasons". With both scenarios mired in tedious, melodramatic doom and gloom misery. Ugh!
    At least HiX-Man is serving up something different and fun.
    The concept isn’t the issue...at least for me it’s not. I find Cyclops and Jean to be boring as hell anyway, specifically Cyclops. So this little twist on everything is cool and not a problem at all. Adds a bit of life to it all... The issue I’m having is with the execution of it all. These interactions and dialogue between the characters is so robotic. That should have been such a cool spicy moment between Emma and Jean. Instead it just fell completely flat because Hickman seems like he cant write a regular conversation between two characters at the moment.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

NM #2 was a surprise, though he wasn't alone even if he led the writing.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    The concept isn’t the issue...at least for me it’s not. I find Cyclops and Jean to be boring as hell anyway, specifically Cyclops. So this little twist on everything is cool and not a problem at all. Adds a bit of life to it all... The issue I’m having is with the execution of it all. These interactions and dialogue between the characters is so robotic. That should have been such a cool spicy moment between Emma and Jean. Instead it just fell completely flat because Hickman seems like he cant write a regular conversation between two characters at the moment.
    And that's how you (and a few others) read it. That's okies.
    I (and a few others) don't read it nor do I (we) see it that way. In fact, I thought it came across quite...to use your words...cool and spicy, in the context of what DoX is supposed to represent in the present and going forward.
    Really, in the grand scheme of these things...it all comes down to individual personal fulfillment. That is all. There's really no need to get philosophical and emotionally torn up about it.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

At this point Hickman has to show us the goods soon, right? Which issue do we think is going to come in a poly bag?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    At this point Hickman has to show us the goods soon, right? Which issue do we think is going to come in a poly bag?
    I don't even think gonna happen, just a marketing tool

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That was enough shade to start the Ice Age.

Looking forward for the book but not the thread.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I'm IN!! Jean & Ems words needle like concealed daggers, dipped in poison. Which is rather fitting, considering... their shared history. ;p