Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

#34 was nice but this issue sucked big time. As does the entire 2099 'event'. Marvel is really piling up the non-Events these days.

BANNED

Whole lot of nothing in this one for me. The whole 2099 thing isn't grabbing me, Doom as a villain here is ruined for me by the events going on in his own series and the dialogue for spidey makes him look like an idiot. Hope Spencer gets back on track soon.

Astonishing Member

Shame Patrick Gleason's first Spider-Man story is such a dud.

BANNED

This 2099 "event" hasn't exactly been gangbusters but I wouldn't call it a total bust. If nothing else, I've actually really dug the one-shots that have accompanied it. The main story in ASM, unfortunately, has felt kind of flat. With ASM #35, this continues to be Spencer's weakest ASM arc but, as with the previous issues, there's still some cool stuff to enjoy.

I liked Spidey and Teresa's teamwork and chemistry here. Also appreciated the shout outs to Peter's fake parents and the Clone Conspiracy. And having the Clairvoyant and Lyla come together was a nice way to bring those two threads together.

Best of all, though, is that there's just one more issue to go and then we can get back to regular ASM!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This 2099 "event" hasn't exactly been gangbusters but I wouldn't call it a total bust. If nothing else, I've actually really dug the one-shots that have accompanied it. The main story in ASM, unfortunately, has felt kind of flat. With ASM #35, this continues to be Spencer's weakest ASM arc but, as with the previous issues, there's still some cool stuff to enjoy.

I liked Spidey and Teresa's teamwork and chemistry here. Also appreciated the shout outs to Peter's fake parents and the Clone Conspiracy. And having the Clairvoyant and Lyla come together was a nice way to bring those two threads together.

Best of all, though, is that there's just one more issue to go and then we can get back to regular ASM!
    Praise the Lord: back to normal!!! I'm so ready for this all to be over.

Amazing Member

This issue, and outside Kindred, this run isn't working for me.

The marriage fans (like me) can't keep leaning on Peter and MJ together again to justify the run as a good one. There's no depth to their relationship in this run anyway. It's another poorly executed part of the run.

By the way, what happened with Doom post secret wars? He was a good guy. I loved the character development. A part of him is supposed to be on the Council of Reeds (I think Chip wrote the issue, i can't remember what book it was in... Marvel Two in One?) and he's back to ego maniac again? Slott's first story has him bringing Galactus to Earth and Reed's fighting him not addressing Secret Wars? Typical Slott paying no service to recent continuity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    By the way, what happened with Doom post secret wars? He was a good guy. I loved the character development. A part of him is supposed to be on the Council of Reeds (I think Chip wrote the issue, i can't remember what book it was in... Marvel Two in One?) and he's back to ego maniac again? Slott's first story has him bringing Galactus to Earth and Reed's fighting him not addressing Secret Wars? Typical Slott paying no service to recent continuity.
    After Secret Wars 2015,
    -- Doom was in Bendis' Infamous Iron Man. When Bendis quit Marvel, he abruptly ended his run with Doom scarred again and in a metal costume.
    -- During this phase, Hero Doom showed up in Zdarsky's 2-in-1.
    -- When Slott restarted Fantastic Four, he had Doom relapse again.

Slott was working what he got with Doom scarred and in costume again but I agree that he hasn't written Doom well in his series. If you want a well written Doom check out Christopher Cantwell's brilliant miniseries with Salvador Larocca. It's shaping up to be part of the Doom pantheon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    After Secret Wars 2015,
    -- Doom was in Bendis' Infamous Iron Man. When Bendis quit Marvel, he abruptly ended his run with Doom scarred again and in a metal costume.
    -- During this phase, Hero Doom showed up in Zdarsky's 2-in-1.
    -- When Slott restarted Fantastic Four, he had Doom relapse again.

Slott was working what he got with Doom scarred and in costume again but I agree that he hasn't written Doom well in his series. If you want a well written Doom check out Christopher Cantwell's brilliant miniseries with Salvador Larocca. It's shaping up to be part of the Doom pantheon.
    Slott not writting Doom well. I admit to not reading FF ( I simply will not waste my time with anything he touches), but based on what he did with Peter, MJ & Felicia, I am not the least bit shocked.

After reading this issue the first time, I was going to join in on the criticisms. Yeah, I was genuinely confused with this issue. I was looking forward to the Spider-Man 2099 crossover, but there wasn't any of it in this issue (except maybe for the Clairvoyant). Plus, the dialogue had me scratching my head at times. Why was Peter confused that Chameleon was working for Latveria and Skymaria (sp?). Why was Theresa so pissed? Was I reading this correctly? Plus, the art.....yeah, it needed some work.

So, what I did was reread the story starting with the previous issues, just to catch up. Okay, things are starting to make a bit more sense and I'm more up to speed with the storyline now. Still, my initial complaints persist. Thought Miguel was going to be in the story. But he dropped out, so he's not anymore? Is Doom 2099 connected with the army of Doombots taking control of the city? And yeah, I miss Gleason's art.

This wasn't a bad issue, but I was lost in certain points. The art could have been better as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    After reading this issue the first time, I was going to join in on the criticisms. Yeah, I was genuinely confused with this issue. I was looking forward to the Spider-Man 2099 crossover, but there wasn't any of it in this issue (except maybe for the Clairvoyant). Plus, the dialogue had me scratching my head at times. Why was Peter confused that Chameleon was working for Latveria and Skymaria (sp?). Why was Theresa so pissed? Was I reading this correctly? Plus, the art.....yeah, it needed some work.

So, what I did was reread the story starting with the previous issues, just to catch up. Okay, things are starting to make a bit more sense and I'm more up to speed with the storyline now. Still, my initial complaints persist. Thought Miguel was going to be in the story. But he dropped out, so he's not anymore? Is Doom 2099 connected with the army of Doombots taking control of the city? And yeah, I miss Gleason's art.

This wasn't a bad issue, but I was lost in certain points. The art could have been better as well.
    Theresa was pissed because Chameleon killed a person dear to her, so for her going against him is personal.

Peter was confused that Chameleon was a double agent, but literally for a nanosecond, he says like “But Chameleon is working for Sable...oh I get it” so it’s not he comes out as dumb, he is in a hurry trying to solve a very complex situation and when given a contradictory information he needs a second to understand and adjust to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Theresa was pissed because Chameleon killed a person dear to her, so for her going against him is personal.

Peter was confused that Chameleon was a double agent, but literally for a nanosecond, he says like “But Chameleon is working for Sable...oh I get it” so it’s not he comes out as dumb, he is in a hurry trying to solve a very complex situation and when given a contradictory information he needs a second to understand and adjust to it.
    Ha, thanks Peter. Yeah, that's the thing, Pete may have gotten that, but I didn't get it at first. It had been a while between issues and Spencer put a lot of plot points in the air. It was hard to keep track. But, I'm up to date, and interested in seeing where it goes. An army of Doombots invading NYC? Sounds a little underwhelming, but that last page...okay, how are the Parkers going to escape from this?

Oh yeah, just wanted to share my appreciation for the mention of Peter's robot parents. That was one of the first major arcs of ASM that I owed back in the day. Nice to see it given props!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The tie ins on this event are pretty cool. I had to read 2099 Alpha twice (a killer issue imo) to get a grip on what's going on, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

I think the next issue of ASM needs to tie this together solid to make it worth the detour for Spidely though.

who makes Theresa's wings?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who makes Theresa's wings?
    Tony Stark

I agree with those that find this storyline lacklustre. And outside of the Absolute Carnage tie-in issues, ASM has felt really weak to me for 20 issues or so. It keeps jumping all over the place; the stories don’t feel connected at all except for the Kindred subplot that’s quickly becoming overplayed and tiresome. I don’t understand what Spencer is trying to do and Nick Lowe seems to be more fanboy than editor at this point. Why bring Peter and MJ back together and then do nothing with them and shove MJ in her own book (seriously, is anybody reading that? Will it even make it to issue #12?). I hate to say this but ASM is not “must read” material for me anymore. This book needs some new editing and a new direction.

- Jason G. Carr