Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it's easily his weakest arc. At the same time, there's been enough cool, fun bits in every issue to keep me entertained.

But it definitely feels like the book has been almost put on hold while this is going on with the on-going ASM story threads that were most interesting being on stand-by until its over.

It doesn't help that there's a lot going on in this arc - the 2099 stuff, the Clairvoyant stuff, the Chameleon, Doom, the Symkarian border dispute - that hasn't been fully connected yet. Maybe once it's all done, things will click nicely with an "a-ha" moment and the arc will read better when the conclusion is in place.
    Let's hope we get that "ah-ha" moment soon. I actually find myself wishing for another main Spider-Man book to read for when this arc is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Have people here read Spencer's 2099 Alpha One-Shot? Because that's really good.

I look forward to any Spidey-Doom showdown. Doom and Spider-Man are characters who have this connection to each other.
    -- Doom is the first rogue Spider-Man fought out of his Rogues Gallery.
    -- Spider-Man is the first non-FF hero Doom fought.

So in a way both characters helped each other in making Spider-Man a major Marvel-wide character and in making Doom the definitive Marvel-wide villain.

In general, writers who write Spider-Man well tend to also write Doom well. Gerry Conway before he wrote ASM, wrote those Doom one-shots in Tales to Astonish, including the famous one where we get the origin of Doom's mother and Doom trying every year to rescue her. Then Roger Stern wrote Triumph and Torment, all-time great Doom story, and David Michelinie wrote Emperor Doom, which is not far behind T&T.

I for one liked the previous issue, and I think this preview is shaping up well.
    While I appreciate the history lesson, that doesn't really bode well for this arc. Spencer is already struggling with too much going on in this arc, and I can tell it's a lot of pressure on him, so adding the additional pressure of having to write a solid Spidey/Doom Adventure feels superfluous. On top of that, none of this connects to 2099!! If that connection wasn't there, this could have been a much tighter arc scriptwise

BANNED

Have people here read Spencer's 2099 Alpha One-Shot? Because that's really good.
    It was really good. As were the Conan 2099 and Punisher 2099 one-shots (haven't read the FF one) so this mini-event has had some worthwhile moments and, in the end, may amount to something cool.

I look forward to any Spidey-Doom showdown. Doom and Spider-Man are characters who have this connection to each other.
    -- Doom is the first rogue Spider-Man fought out of his Rogues Gallery.
    -- Spider-Man is the first non-FF hero Doom fought.
    Spidey and Doom have had a long time connection and I always enjoy seeing them tangle. Watching the '80s Spider-Man animated show and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on Disney+, I had forgotten how prominently Doom featured in both of those shows. Any kid being exposed to those series would have thought Doom was a regular member of Spidey's rogue gallery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Spidey and Doom have had a long time connection and I always enjoy seeing them tangle. Watching the '80s Spider-Man animated show and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on Disney+, I had forgotten how prominently Doom featured in both of those shows. Any kid being exposed to those series would have thought Doom was a regular member of Spidey's rogue gallery.
    My first introduction to Doctor Doom was JMS' "Doomed Affairs", and it's incredible how a single issue captures and distills the essence of four major character (Peter, MJ, Cap, Doom) where all of their basic traits are there. In the case of Doctor Doom he's presented as a tyrant who wants to tackle climate change (establishing that he's a dictator who really does want to save the world, if only for there to be a world for him to take over and rule) and then Latverian terrorists try and kill him, proving that the people who want to oppose and topple Doom are possibly no better than him or actively worse since these terrorists kill a whole bunch of innocent people at the airport. And Spidey ends up saving Doom, only for Doom to thank him first, and then Peter lays into him for creating these terrorists leading Doom to give him death threats again.

In this issue, you once again have Spider-Man and Doom on the same side -- since the Symkarian Countess and Chameleon are anti-Latverian, Teresa hates them too, and Doom as usual never wastes an opportunity to tap into his immense sense of self-righteousness -- "Doom demands Justice but he'll settle for shutting down New York until he gets it too". It's also interesting if you compare Doom here to the 2099 Doom in Alpha which Spencer wrote. That Doom is very serious and introspective and philosophical, while the one in ASM is pure camp. Most writers of Doom write Doom as either all serious or all camp, but Spencer shifts between both registers.

Spider-Man has in 616 at least, never defeated Doom in battle. The last time they actively fought was in ASM#350 by Michelinie/Larsen and Doom almost shredded Spider-Man. Also a story where Doom and Spider-Man are against the same guy the Fox...in the end Spidey actually convinces Doom to spare the Fox, which Doom complied but not before he burns all the money Fox had.

Default amazing spiderman issue 35 discussion

a lot kinda happen but at the same time didnt I did like the page with all the possible futures I see Hickman Moria Life 6 A reference to that Next Avengers movie Reign, Mc2 but we are getting to the end of this Doom/Future arc I totally understand if its not popping for most here. Maybe if i read the other 2099 stories I would have a better understanding but I'm not so Lets hope Spidey and Doom can have a heart to heart next issue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

enjoy this issue nice nod to the fake parents plotline from the early 90s.

This felt more like an issue of "Ultimate Spider-Man" than of ASM. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Honestly, on the whole, this arc is weak. I was hoping this issue would turn around the lack of an actual 2099 connection, especially with the big reveal of 2099 supposedly being the true future of the Marvel Universe, but still: it feels like this issue looked good on paper but not in execution. I enjoyed the dialogue with Chameleon, and the interaction between Peter and Teresa is fun, but this did very little for me. It's not "drop the book" bad, but it is "take a break" bad.

BANNED

The main thing the Clairvoyant thing confirmed is that 2099 is one of many possible alternate timelines and not "The Future".

I actually liked the interactions between Peter and Teresa here which I otherwise don't.

Chameleon's also used well in this.

Doom is of course in fine camp form. So it's a lot of fun to watch him. Doctor Doom as a giant astral holo-projection isn't something that's done as often these days but it's a trick he used a lot in the old days and in Astonishing Tales, so it's fun to see.

The main thing the Clairvoyant thing confirmed is that 2099 is one of many possible alternate timelines and not "The Future".
    This was needed. There's every chance that Marvel will still be around at the end of the century, 80 years from now (though how they sell the stories could be different in 2030, let alone 2099). They already caught up with 2020, causing that future to be merged with the present.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Honestly, this arc is so far my favorite thing Spencer has done on the title. It’s fun and I’m digging the future stuff. I wasn’t really into Hunted at all but I’ve enjoyed the issues that have followed.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

A reference to Peter's Robot Spy Parents - what has to be the first such reference in like 25 years.

Earlier, during Hunted - confirmation that clones (like Billy Connors) can have the souls of the originals. If a clone can, why not a robot simulacrum?

Kindred = family.

Is Kindred Peter Parker's ROBOT SPY DAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    A reference to Peter's Robot Spy Parents - what has to be the first such reference in like 25 years.

Earlier, during Hunted - confirmation that clones (like Billy Connors) can have the souls of the originals. If a clone can, why not a robot simulacrum?

Kindred = family.

Is Kindred Peter Parker's ROBOT SPY DAD?
    It's also worth noting of course, that the Chameleon was doing that on the (posthumous) orders of Harry Osborn.

I hate to say it but this is the first arc that's sort of just taking a nose-dive for me. Everything else has been pretty consistently engaging up to now but this arc just feels way too long to get to the point, and it still isn't really clear what the point is. The several issue buildup of 2099 getting to Spidey last issue just to talk for a page or two was also a buzzkill. I did like the robo-parent acknowledgement, the Clone Conspiracy acknowledgement, and Chameleon a lot, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Honestly, this arc is so far my favorite thing Spencer has done on the title. It’s fun and I’m digging the future stuff. I wasn’t really into Hunted at all but I’ve enjoyed the issues that have followed.
    I'm the opposite with this arc. Be glad when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I hate to say it but this is the first arc that's sort of just taking a nose-dive for me. Everything else has been pretty consistently engaging up to now but this arc just feels way too long to get to the point, and it still isn't really clear what the point is. The several issue buildup of 2099 getting to Spidey last issue just to talk for a page or two was also a buzzkill. I did like the robo-parent acknowledgement, the Clone Conspiracy acknowledgement, and Chameleon a lot, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'm the opposite with this arc. Be glad when it's done.
    Agreed on all counts. Let's get back to regular issues of ASM!!