Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

This arc has been severely disappointing to me... for a story advertising the return of Miguel O'Hara and all sorts of time travel shenanigans, there's been like 5 pages of that in 3 issues, and the rest has been devoted to some dumb plot with the Chameleon. What was Spencer thinking? I'm at once disappointed that this arc is getting a rushed ending next issue, and glad that we can move on. I'm not sure if this story got changed really late or something, because what we've got has been nothing like what the solicits said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who makes Theresa's wings?
    I think she got them from The Tinkerer in Zdarsky's run.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

>Be me
    >Using Reddit arrows
    >Trashing Spencer's run
    >Also being the only stan of this 2099 story

I miss Gleason, but the colors help this one get a new, darker vibe to match Doom's takeover. So I guess they luckily avoided what should be a major complaint of mine. Spencer Chameleon is good, but he reminds of Spencer Zemo. That's depressing. I miss him.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    This arc has been severely disappointing to me... for a story advertising the return of Miguel O'Hara and all sorts of time travel shenanigans, there's been like 5 pages of that in 3 issues, and the rest has been devoted to some dumb plot with the Chameleon. What was Spencer thinking? I'm at once disappointed that this arc is getting a rushed ending next issue, and glad that we can move on. I'm not sure if this story got changed really late or something, because what we've got has been nothing like what the solicits said.

I think she got them from The Tinkerer in Zdarsky's run.
    Yeah, when he was posing as his own "good brother" to get in close with the tech-using/reliant superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    >Be me
    >Using Reddit arrows
    >Trashing Spencer's run
    >Also being the only stan of this 2099 story

I miss Gleason, but the colors help this one get a new, darker vibe to match Doom's takeover. So I guess they luckily avoided what should be a major complaint of mine. Spencer Chameleon is good, but he reminds of Spencer Zemo. That's depressing. I miss him.
    I'm just wondering how the next issue is gonna wrap all this up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    ...shove MJ in her own book (seriously, is anybody reading that? Will it even make it to issue #12?).
    MJ's book is a mini-series and is due to end at issue #5, I think. It ties into the Mysterio sub-plot from ASM and has been a blast!

Entertaining set-up, interesting character interactions, fun dialogue, great art, I am enjoying it a lot more than ASM at the moment. Definitely worth a read.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    MJ's book is a mini-series and is due to end at issue #5, I think. It ties into the Mysterio sub-plot from ASM and has been a blast!

Entertaining set-up, interesting character interactions, fun dialogue, great art, I am enjoying it a lot more than ASM at the moment. Definitely worth a read.
    *buzzer sound*
    MJ's book is not a miniseries: it is in fact continuing past issue 5 into a new arc in March.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    *buzzer sound*
    MJ's book is not a miniseries: it is in fact continuing past issue 5 into a new arc in March.
    Well, it was originally a 5 issue mini, but always had the possibility of an extension if sales were good enough. Looks like we are getting at least another issue, beyond that we’ll see. Based on second issue sales it will probably not go on too long though. Maybe 12 max.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Well, it was originally a 5 issue mini, but always had the possibility of an extension if sales were good enough. Looks like we are getting at least another issue, beyond that we’ll see. Based on second issue sales it will probably not go on too long though. Maybe 12 max.
    It was announced as an ongoing, which is why it doesn't have the (of 5) numbering. Williams said it was a miniseries, but it seems Marvel had plans for her to continue. And if it goes 12 issues, so what? That's more than what most supporting cast members get these days.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    It was announced as an ongoing, which is why it doesn't have the (of 5) numbering. Williams said it was a miniseries, but it seems Marvel had plans for her to continue. And if it goes 12 issues, so what? That's more than what most supporting cast members get these days.
    Does Marvel actually number any series x of x? I know they used to, but figured they did away with that. I haven't noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Does Marvel actually number any series x of x? I know they used to, but figured they did away with that. I haven't noticed it.
    They still do if it's a true miniseries. If it's a stealth miniseries, then they don't put the "x of x" numbering. It's usually the trades that tell the tale.

BANNED

Spencer brought it home with this issue I think.

It's a pretty interesting look at Doom and his interactions with Spider-Man are great.

The major issue is that:

spoilers:

The entire 2099 stuff has absolutely nothing to do with the stuff in the main plot.

This entire event is really incompetently managed. I don't know who's fault it is. Either it's because editors didn't co-ordinate it right, shoehorned it on top of an existent story and so on.

Somebody did not go to the toilet during this entire thing.

2099 OMEGA explains some stuff but not others and I guess it kind of gives Miguel O'Hara an ending to his story, even a happy ending, but it lacks gravitas
    end of spoilers

But let me say that a comic with this panel in it cannot be all bad. I absolutely want to see this story play out someday.

Doom Spidey Web - Spencer ASM#36.jpg

BANNED

Just realized that this is the last ASM for the year. And Spencer's last publications this year.

So here's to 2020 for Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley, and everyone else at the Spidey-Office.

That goes for all the rest of you on CBR here. Look at my Join Date. I came here in December 2018. It's been more than a year since all of you have been locked in with me.

Here's me hoping for an excellent 2020, in comics and in life, but if not in life than in comics. For all that comics can break your heart, life can do that and break other things as well.

Here's to 2020, hope it goes better than 2016, except for any in the UK who are of course already in the 2099 timeline so-to-speak, and they'd be lucky to get Doom 2099 the way things are going.

I really like this arc how Spidey reacts to a plot of spies that clearly overweight him. It is like a fish out of the water and it is interesting to see it so out of place trying to overcome.

BANNED

I've been hoping the conclusion of the 2099 arc would redeem the arc as a whole and, having read today's issue, I would say it kind of does.

As Jack notes above, the big problem is that the 2099 stuff really has no bearing on the main plot. The only function Miguel has is to jump start Clairvoyant and that could have been accomplished in any other number of ways.

But on the upside, when all the cards are turned over here regarding Doom, the attempt on his life, and the brewing war between Latervia and Symkaria, I was happy with how it all came together and what it sets up going forward.

So, today's issue was a win-win for me. One, it finally ended this arc. And two, it ended it on a largely satisfying note.

Yeah, I agree with the rest: this was a satisfying end to a very mismanaged arc. I don't know what Nicks Lowe and Spencer were thinking, but this didn't need 2099 at all and could've been far more cohesive. If you look at it without that Backdrop, this was a stronger arc for ASM. The dialogues between Peter and Teresa are entertaining as always, the Dr. Doom battle was cool, the art (Gleason's at least) was solid, and I like the political intrigue and real world applications for the war between Symkaria and Latveria. Very cool stuff. None of it works with 2099 though lol

So here's my rating: 80/100 (w/o 2099); 50/100 (w/ 2099)

I would say considering that Nick Spencer is the writer for both ASM AND 2099, the blame is a bit more on him for not being able to coordinate the stories or make them connect more, considering he knows what's supposed to happen in each book.

I liked how they handled the twist with Karkov, though I wonder if all of that will come into play sometime later in the book, and in what way.

And even though it didn't really connect to the main story and seemed pretty out of place, I liked Miguel getting the happy ending he deserved and was kind of robbed out of in his main book.