Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Who should write 5G Justice League?

So, we all know what 5G is, right? It's the upcoming relaunch for the DCU that isn't a reboot, but rather it'll have characters taking over as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the rest of the big 6. Jon Kent seems all but confirmed to be our new Superman come 5G.

And the thing is, even though clearly Bendis will be leading the charge on defining Jon as Superman, Action and Superman aren't the only books where Superman will be featured. Williamson will likely be continuing on Batman/Superman, so he'll be adding to the characterization, but we also have Justice League. We know that'll be written by Venditti, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was something similar to how Priest did that comparatively short run before Snyder.

So, who'd you like to see writing Justice League, and, by extension, adding their voice to 5G Superman?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

If the new timeline is any indication, 5G is definitely going to be somewhat of a reboot.

I don't know if Batman/Superman will keep running, at least with Williamson at the helm. The title's existence mostly seems to be just to further Scott Snyder's storylines, although we've got a Ra's/Zod arc coming up so maybe that will change somewhat. But I think a lot of books will be ending come the next Crisis.

As far as 5G!Justice League...I'd like someone who's qualified to write a team book, above all. And I guess one who can play well with other people's toys or take feedback since they'll be working with a lot of new characters, basically.

My go-to suggestion is Jeff Parker, if only because Jeff Parker is awesome and should be writing more books .

Kelly Sue DeConnick & Matt Fraction.

Both are with DC right now, and Jimmy Olsen will be over or close to finishing by when it's time for 5G.

Steve Orlando would get me excited.

Is Al Ewing Marvel exclusive? He can do no wrong it seems.

Gerard Way is a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I think a lot of books will be ending come the next Crisis.
    Well, he says it's ongoing (https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...17560177434624) It's not like know, but I imagine it'll just get relaunched at a new #1 with Jon and Luke.

I have no way of proving this, but I honestly believe the Batman/Superman book came back in the first place because of 5G. I remember finding it so odd that they'd, kind of randomly, opt for a pretty regular Batman/Superman book now of all times. Then the 5G rumors hits, and it makes more sense as a primer for Jon and Luke taking the title, and exploring the dynamic there. That's just what it feels like to me anyway.

But Williamson could jump off the book by 5G. I wonder who they'd ask to take over? I wouldn't mind it at all, I just can't guess who.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, this is Orlando's moment. He's most certainly my pick. I'd just want them to make sure he gets a really strong art team to elevate him, and draw in the crowd.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well, he says it's ongoing (https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...17560177434624) It's not like know, but I imagine it'll just get relaunched at a new #1 with Jon and Luke.

I have no way of proving this, but I honestly believe the Batman/Superman book came back in the first place because of 5G. I remember finding it so odd that they'd, kind of randomly, opt for a pretty regular Batman/Superman book now of all times. Then the 5G rumors hits, and it makes more sense as a primer for Jon and Luke taking the title, and exploring the dynamic there. That's just what it feels like to me anyway.

But Williamson could jump off the book by 5G. I wonder who they'd ask to take over? I wouldn't mind it at all, I just can't guess who.
    It is currently an ongoing but, again, I could still see it ending at 5G when they end pretty much all books for a relaunch.

I think the main impetus for reviving the title was to have another means of exploring Snyder's storylines and make some money off having Batman and Superman together as co-leads in a book. Maybe they keep it around to explore a new Batman/Superman dynamic, and maybe that was planned, but I don't think it was the main reason.
    As far as I'm concerned, this is Orlando's moment. He's most certainly my pick. I'd just want them to make sure he gets a really strong art team to elevate him, and draw in the crowd.
    I really didn't love Orlando's JLA run, so I'm not in a rush to see him as the writer for the next flagship.

It is currently an ongoing but, again, I could still see it ending at 5G when they end pretty much all books for a relaunch.

I think the main impetus for reviving the title was to have another means of exploring Snyder's storylines and make some money off having Batman and Superman together as co-leads in a book. Maybe they keep it around to explore a new Batman/Superman dynamic, and maybe that was planned, but I don't think it was the main reason.
    I don't disagree at all. I just think the plan is to relaunch it with the new Batman and Superman.

I genuinely wouldn't know who would or should take over if Williamson left when 5G hits. Priest would be my ideal, but that seems unlikely given the infamous interview that's just now come to my attention.

Mighty Member

As far as 5G!Justice League...I'd like someone who's qualified to write a team book, above all.
    Giving that vague meaning....what exactly do you mean by 'qualified'?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Put Matt Fraction on a kid Superman book. Let him be as weird as he wants.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I think Tom Taylor would be the best for kicking off 5G Justice League, in terms of selling a new group dynamic to a skeptical audience; Orlando once he's done.
    Buh-bye

Is Al Ewing Marvel exclusive? He can do no wrong it seems.
    Yes, I believe so. I don't think he's done any non-Marvel stuff since year one of Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor.

Shouldn't this thread be in the DC Comics forum and not the Superman one?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Greg Pak might be fun if the rumors about replacements are true.

No one at DC right now feels like they have the kind of star power this would need. Morrison and Johns aren’t doing JL again. I guess Bendis might take up the job? Willamson could also be the person they want, he’s part of the Snyder inner circle along with Tynion. King has a mixed rep after his Batman run. Honestly I feel like DC would either need to get Hickman or someone new to be able to get people interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Giving that vague meaning....what exactly do you mean by 'qualified'?
    Somebody who can write a team book with the kind of action, balance of characters and dynamics, ongoing storytelling, and purpose that it deserves.

Like, bringing up Bendis, I'm not personally confident he can do that.

Taylor? He juggled a lot of different characters well across his books (maybe less so X-Men Red which was basically a Jean solo) so I'd feel more confident in him.

If we're going radical with the roster, why not go different with the writer? I'd like to see Christopher Priest take on the new Justice League for an extended time, since he's all but completely wrapped up on Deathstroke
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm with Frontier, Jeff Parker is a good choice. Underrated as hell.