Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lex Luthor versus Doctor Doom

The 2019 Lex Vs trilogy comes to its natural conclusion.

Luthor definitely beats Ozymandias.

Luthor probably ties Rick Sanchez.

Now enters the one similar guy who will maybe(?) curbstomp Lex. Or not:

Victor von Doom.

Same as the last two. All Composite comic versions for both in each scenario.

Round 1: strictly h2h combat, standard Rumbles settings

Round 2: standard gear allowed for both, Standard Rumbles settings

Round 3: 1 month Prep-time for both, on a combined Earth, Doom in Latveria, Luthor in Metropolis

Round 4: Leadership! Who can believably round up the bigger, badder set of villains (respective to their own universes) to lead into direct battle against the other

Who wins?

I want to be up front and disclose my overall bias in favor of Doctor Doom. I think that he is a great villain with an iconic look. I never liked Lex, though I was glad to see post-crisis Lex switch from both the power armor and the prison grey outfits and instead go with the business suit style.

Round 1: While someone is sure to mention that a naked Doom killed a lion with his bare hands, I feel comfortable dismissing that as an outlier. While Doom has fought nearly every hero in the Marvel Universe at some point, he generally considers fisticuffs to be beneath his dignity. So I don't think that Doom will match up well against Lex in HTH, considering that Lex actually has some martial arts training. Winner: Lex.

Round 2: Since I consider modern Lex Luthor's standard gear to be an expensive suit, italian loafers, and an Amex Black Card, an armored Doctor Doom should handily murder him. Even if Lex is allowed the purple/green powersuit as standard gear, Doom can still wreck him the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. Winner: Doom.

Round 3: I could see this fight going either way. LexCorp probably has more resources than a small European country like Latveria, but Doom has already invested much of his resources in relevant gear like robots, troops, gear, and personal power armor. Doom still has the advantage due to his magical capabilities for which Lex likely lacks a counter. Winner: Doom.

Round 4: Outside of the original Secret Wars and Acts of Vengeance, Doom has rarely worked with groups of villains. Lex has a better track record with recruiting villains. Lex was also charismatic enough to get elected President, while Doom seldom bothers to hide his contempt for his lackeys. Also, Lex has a better shot at recruiting seriously powerful villains, like a ring wielder or a speed force user. Winner: Lex.

Round 1: While someone is sure to mention that a naked Doom killed a lion with his bare hands, I feel comfortable dismissing that as an outlier. While Doom has fought nearly every hero in the Marvel Universe at some point, he generally considers fisticuffs to be beneath his dignity. So I don't think that Doom will match up well against Lex in HTH, considering that Lex actually has some martial arts training. Winner: Lex.
    Doom isn't crap per se at hand to hand, he has some training as well, and neither of them, if you want to discount outlier things, are some vast grand masters in the field. You could flip a coin really.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-29-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Incredible Member

Both great villains but I've always said Doom was just a bit better than Luthor and has more feats of him actually accomplishing his goals. Luthor more often than does not accomplish his goals to defeating the Man Of Steel and the DC Universe at large.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The only Rick Lex can compete with is Doofus.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Yeah I feel, at least, Luthor can round up a squad of villains easier. That's the round I have him conclusively winning.

Since this is the Composite comic versions of both characters, I'll give it a shot.

1. It's close but Lex takes it. We've seen him in unarmed scraps (vs Joker) and clearly shown to know what he's doing against non-elite fighters. Doom without his gear occurs much rarer. Both get flattened by Bats or Cap, or even Ollie or Bart.

2. Key here is no prep for either. Composite means Lex gets his Pre-Crisis warsuit, which could (even without Kryptonite) could hurt Pre-Crisis Kryptonians. Doom gets his Crimson Bands, which have restrained the Hulk. Close again. This is a toss-up, I think.

3. Is Latveria a wealthy country or a poor one save for Doom himself? Still, now we gave Doom prep-time, and no one, not even the Batgod, is better with prep than Victor. Doom takes this.

4. Lex in a walk. He is a born politician, charismatically brings villains together to face a common threat a la Legion of Doom. Victor doesn't play well with others at all, and without forcing them, wouldn't get too many villains of note on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I want to be up front and disclose my overall bias in favor of Doctor Doom. I think that he is a great villain with an iconic look. I never liked Lex, though I was glad to see post-crisis Lex switch from both the power armor and the prison grey outfits and instead go with the business suit style.

Round 2: Since I consider modern Lex Luthor's standard gear to be an expensive suit, italian loafers, and an Amex Black Card, an armored Doctor Doom should handily murder him. Even if Lex is allowed the purple/green powersuit as standard gear, Doom can still wreck him the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. Winner: Doom.

Round 3: I could see this fight going either way. LexCorp probably has more resources than a small European country like Latveria, but Doom has already invested much of his resources in relevant gear like robots, troops, gear, and personal power armor. Doom still has the advantage due to his magical capabilities for which Lex likely lacks a counter. Winner: Doom.

Round 4: Outside of the original Secret Wars and Acts of Vengeance, Doom has rarely worked with groups of villains. Lex has a better track record with recruiting villains. Lex was also charismatic enough to get elected President, while Doom seldom bothers to hide his contempt for his lackeys. Also, Lex has a better shot at recruiting seriously powerful villains, like a ring wielder or a speed force user. Winner: Lex.
    This is pretty much bang on for me.

-Doom. Luthor isn't bad, but Doom has the ridiculous beat some dangerous animal feat.

-Doom is good, and has the magic too, but Luthor uses power armor that makes him a decent match for Superman. Luthor should take this one without much problem.

Round 3: 1 month Prep-time for both, on a combined Earth, Doom in Latveria, Luthor in Metropolis
    -Its really, really close but good as they both are, Doom seems to be the better prep timer, especially when some of his feats against cosmic beings are taken into consideration.

Round 4: Leadership! Who can believably round up the bigger, badder set of villains (respective to their own universes) to lead into direct battle against the other
    -Luthor takes a clear lead here. Dr. Doom relies more on his doombots while Luthor gets together teams frequently.

Who wins? With prep time, Doom might be able to do it, but he's gonna have to be really careful going up against Luthor in power armor. On the otherhand, if Luthor's prep time includes gathering up an Injustice Gang team, then he might be able to beat Doom, even with both them getting prep time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The 2019 Lex Vs trilogy comes to its natural conclusion.

Luthor definitely beats Ozymandias.

Luthor probably ties Rick Sanchez.

Now enters the one similar guy who will maybe(?) curbstomp Lex. Or not:

Victor von Doom.

Same as the last two. All Composite comic versions for both in each scenario.

Who wins?
    With Prep? Doom uses his time machine and lex is never born.

Wasn't there a congress of Dooms, The way we had the Reeds of Multiple realities?
    So Doom get's all his alternate selves. Poor Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    With Prep? Doom uses his time machine and lex is never born.

Wasn't there a congress of Dooms, The way we had the Reeds of Multiple realities?
    So Doom get's all his alternate selves. Poor Lex.
    Except that this is composite, and there are versions of Luthor with a time machine as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Except that this is composite, and there are versions of Luthor with a time machine as well.
    So Doom get all the powers of 1) The Beyonder (powerjacked)
    2) when he was the ruler of everything.

Also as far as getting villians to work with him. See Secret Wars 1.

Swiss army nerd

Then Lex gets the power he gained in the Paul Cornell Superman run where he basically brought peace to the entire universe. Death of the Endless even popped her head in to see what he was up to, it was so high profile.

Even post crisis lex could time travel easily enough. He sent Connor Kent on a little scavenger hunt in Adventure Comics, including sending him back through time to pick up something from the Jurassic era.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Yeah, if composite means Doom gets all of his jacked and borrowed powers, he's got PR Beyonder plus the recent secret war powers in his set. It's so far beyond Lex that it's silly.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Okay, but the point still stands, if we're counting everything that they have done themselves, of their own intellect power, Luthor has time travel too. I admit though, you are right in that his power steal isn't as good as Doom's.

OP needs to clarify if we are literally counting everything for even the smallest time period or if there are any limits to what from their history can be included for the composites.