Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Default McFarlane Toys to do DC Superhero Action Figures

So this year McFarlane Toys got the license to start making DC Comics action figures.

That news broke this past spring.

Two questions:

1. any news since, i.e. when are they going on sale???

2. which potential DC action figure interests you the most?

I'd like some Swamp Thing or DC Vilains.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Haven't heard anything, but I am SO excited about this.

Say what you will about the man, he is responsible for some of the SWEETEST toys ever produced.
    I'm not really a toy guy, but even I collected his earlier stuff (and was a member of the fanclub).
    His Sleepy Hallow horseman & horse is STILL probably my favourite figure ever.

If he comes even CLOSE to that sort of work, I'm expecting these DC figures to be spectacular.
    Oh, and I've already put in my request for the Flash Family to be a reality.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

There was an alleged leak of the initial assortment.

What added some credence was that the initial blog that had the scoop subsequently had the story taken down, so make of that what you will.

I've been looking forward to more information, too, and in fact did an internet search only a couple days ago to see if I missed anything re: details. I need another action figure like a need a(nother) hole in my head but I have a feeling a lot of his DC work is going to be hard to pass up. Just hope he puts out some Golden Age figures...some classic Legionnaires...some never-AFed villains...some--I could go on and on too long...

McFarlane gave an interview abot the upcoming line back in February around when the announcement of the license was first announced. IT can be read here: https://www.newsarama.com/44134-todd...l-with-dc.html

some of the highlights of what Todd said:

In recent years DC has produced a number if artist-specific lines ranging from Jim Lee to Ivan Reis; could the same be happening, with a McFarlane-designed line of DC action figures? Short answer: "yes."

“I think the answer is yes. Now, do I want to do designs based on TV shows as well? Of course I do. Then do I want to do an interpretation of comic book-designed look, yes. So if people like those, we’ll give them to them," McFarlane said. "Now, if DC says, 'We just need a cool looking Batman,' then I get to put on my Todd McFarlane hat and go 'Okay, what’s that look like?' They’re pretty wide open to most of our suggestions. I’m not saying they’re going to approve every little thing we put out to them, but they’re saying if I have a cool idea in my head, then show it to them.”

But that’s the thing though, what does Todd McFarlane visualize when he thinks of cool? As he said, "cool" is "a big word."

“It all depends on my age,” he explained. “If I’m 25 and not a comic book collector, I may want something from the movies. Take for example, Aquaman, if you took everybody that reads the comic book today and got them to go to the movie, it would have made maybe half a million dollars. Instead it made a billion worldwide. That tells me that not just comic readers are going to these movies, but people who just like the concept of superheroes. That doesn’t always mean they like comic books.”

He went on to say that he feels that the entire planet is “drunk on superhero type of storytelling” and how he wants to take that hunger into consideration.

“That 25-year-old is probably going to want something that looks like what he saw coming out of the theater. A six-year-old kid and his mom who buys something for his birthday, might not be as discriminatory. She might want something at a value, doesn’t look like it’ll break in a week, and something with a bulk to it so it can be played with. It’s a toy! Take both of these people and put them at the store together both wanting Aquaman because he’s sort of hot right now then they may be looking for something different on the shelf.”

McFarlane said he intends to release a "visual range" in the market and then see how sales come back to determine what do to more of.

“Are there more of the 25 year olds or the kids?," he asked, rhetorically. "I hope to do both, but the data and the sales have to come through first.”

The figures themselves are only part of the visual aspect though. McFarlane had other thoughts, including the packaging and how it can grab attention.

“No matter what I end up doing though, it has to end up looking good in the package," he said. "I want to do a Frank Miller Batman but it still has to look super cool for any age range to take notice. The average consumer might not now it’s Frank Miller, and I bet they probably don’t, much like how they don’t know who I am, so the only reason I would do a Todd McFarlane Batman because the cape and the set up would be interesting and not just for the comic fans.”

“Getting to do the core characters because I don’t want to sit there and complain how I never got to do a Batman,” he stated. “Every week there is a new Batman fan walking through those stores.”
    No details but it does reveal what his approach to the line was going to be as they started developing figures for the line.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

What added some credence was that the initial blog that had the scoop subsequently had the story taken down, so make of that what you will.
    Wholely too much Batman related figures for my taste, but I like the idea of making different iterations such as the animated and movie versions of characters.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

Definitely getting the DCAU figures. John Stewart seems to be a popular action figure property since he's licensed to often.

While it’s disappointing to see The Batman Who Laughs as potentially part of the first wave, in a way it kind of makes sense. He’s the most “edgy” 90s McFarlane-like character DC has right now.

Looking forward to a classic Superman done in the McFarlane action figure style!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Whoa, I want that Hellbat figure

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's rather telling that there's no actual pictures of the toys themselves. Makes me think this project isn't nearly as far along as we're being told.
    Assassinate Putin!

well, best of luck, but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it's rather telling that there's no actual pictures of the toys themselves. Makes me think this project isn't nearly as far along as we're being told.
    It's because they can't legally show them off until the Mattell licenses runs out on December 31st.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

If this turns out to be correct, it's a little too "safe" for me personally. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd wave will change my mind.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.