Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Death Metal Robin and Rebirth Batman

Holy... I may have to pick up that robin. Would be my first dc figure in a very long while

I really miss Mattel. This is bordering on parody at this point.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

While I have a couple of the McFarlane figures (the Jim Lee-Designed Batman and the Teen Titans animated Cyborg if I recall correctly), for whatever reason, I really haven't been able to get into either this line or the previous Mattel line. IDK, something about the overall designs just seem to be so...generic. Without any sort of real character about them. Maybe it's just that they've chosen to create one's from a batch of current characters that I really don't care for, but I really don't think that's it, either. I mean, I love Nightwing, but didn't care for his figure. And the current Batgirl figure...IDK I just found it boring. Like, maybe if they did characters with specific artists or eras in mind more? Like a Breyfogle-inspired Batman. Or an Amanda Conner-influenced Power Girl? IDK, something just seems to be missing for me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm concerned they aren't putting out enough Batman stuff.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

I guess someone must like this line, but seems a huge waste of time and effort to me. I see a King Shazam on the shelf at Walmart, and think to myself 'WFT' is that?! Alternate versions of characters rarely appeal to me, but that's mostly what I see from this line.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm concerned they aren't putting out enough Batman stuff.
    Yeah can't have enough Batman toys shelf warming at Wal-Mart can we?

It has to get to a point of slow down or enough Batman stuff.

Because it's embarrassing to see how many of them are on the shelf and ever other toyline is bare bones or sold out especially around Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yeah can't have enough Batman toys shelf warming at Wal-Mart can we?

It has to get to a point of slow down or enough Batman stuff.

Because it's embarrassing to see how many of them are on the shelf and ever other toyline is bare bones or sold out especially around Christmas.
    If there's Batman stuff left on the shelves, it's because the studio ordered more in the first place. I don't mean this to be mean, but you've been making this claim for several years now that Batman stuff supposedly sells poorly and that DC's other characters move better. Were there actual sales data to support the idea that the likes of Vixen, the Question or Lady Shiva outsell Batman, this situation wouldn't exist in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I really miss Mattel. This is bordering on parody at this point.
    They did some really great figures. I was almost dreading that I was going to want too many of McFarlane's stuff (already having over 200 DC Direct and Mattel figs...a dusting/cleaning nightmare lol) but I don't even think one of them has actually tempted me.

That Black Adam is nice. Would look nicer next to an actual Captain Marvel one, but they did the evil version before ever making a regular one for....reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    [IMG]Were there actual sales data to support the idea that the likes of Vixen, the Question or Lady Shiva outsell Batman, this situation wouldn't exist in the first place.
    Hard to outsell when less are made to begin with. Stores order by the assortment, not the figure, and normally assortments are about 3-1 of the Bat-characters than the "lesser known" ones.

As someone who worked retail previously, it does make sense to include more of the known characters that have TV, movie and game properties associated with them, but it also means for a Vixen to sell out only one needs to be bought, versus having to have multiple people buy a Batman for it to sell out.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Hard to outsell when less are made to begin with. Stores order by the assortment, not the figure, and normally assortments are about 3-1 of the Bat-characters than the "lesser known" ones.

As someone who worked retail previously, it does make sense to include more of the known characters that have TV, movie and game properties associated with them, but it also means for a Vixen to sell out only one needs to be bought, versus having to have multiple people buy a Batman for it to sell out.
    And my point is those assortments are likely more Batman heavy because he's a character who is known to consistently and reliably sell better than lesser known characters. It's not a knock on any of them. Vixen is one of my favorite DC heroines. I've seen this argument about being unable to find Vixen while Batman sits on shelves as though it's irrefutable proof Vixen actually sells better than Batman, which I'd be willing to bet a kidney is not accurate.
    Last edited by Holt; 01-14-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't care for the Shazam lightning symbol now being electrical on Black Adam and the Marvels. Maybe it works in live action, but anywhere else -- not so much. The yellow/gold on a black background was pretty much perfect -- don't know why it was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

If there's Batman stuff left on the shelves, it's because the studio ordered more in the first place. I don't mean this to be mean, but you've been making this claim for several years now that Batman stuff supposedly sells poorly and that DC's other characters move better. Were there actual sales data to support the idea that the likes of Vixen, the Question or Lady Shiva outsell Batman, this situation wouldn't exist in the first place.
    Black Adam's face looks weird. And is this a re-issue of the previous John Stewart GL?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Black Adam's face looks weird. And is this a re-issue of the previous John Stewart GL?
    Yeah, they just painted his hands green for some reason, removed the gatling gun, added the swords and maybe changed his hair a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, they just painted his hands green for some reason, removed the gatling gun, added the swords and maybe changed his hair a bit?
    I went back and looked at the one I picked and yup, they painted the hands green and removed the accessories. I'm not sure it's just the lighting but the temples look a little gray.