View Poll Results: Do you prefer the suits to be mostly Rubber or Fabric?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rubber (pretend metal/carbon fibre)

4 13.79%
  • Fabric (pretend carbon fibre weave)

18 62.07%
  • Rubber Torso, Fabric limbs

7 24.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bat-Family Suits - rubber or fabric

Do you prefer Batman and family's suits to be mostly fabric, or rubber?

In the past I would have said the rubber (pretend metal) look from the Nolan films, but after Batfleck and Batwoman I'm liking the fabric more.

Still, the Robins from Titans have a good mixture, and I think Batwoman's suit could be broken-up a bit more so the torso looks more protective.

Modern_Batfamily.jpg

Sorry this last image is so small, haven't figured-out how to make my uploads not shrink.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 11-30-2019 at 07:01 PM.

These look better:

Does anyone else find the codpiece on Nightwing's suit a bit weird?

Wow, her legs look super-skinny in this pic.

The gauntlets look too soft IMO.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 11-30-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Rubber is a no go from the start. Gets way too hot and protection is minimal at best.
    Rubber torso, still too hot. Plus you don't have much flexibility in the torso area.
    Fabric (carbon fiber weave) is the way to go. It allows the skin to breathe while also providing protection and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Rubber is a no go from the start. Gets way too hot and protection is minimal at best.
    Rubber torso, still too hot. Plus you don't have much flexibility in the torso area.
    Fabric (carbon fiber weave) is the way to go. It allows the skin to breathe while also providing protection and flexibility.
    Well, in-universe it isn't actually meant to be rubber. I mostly like the fabric look, but a bit of armored chest protection just works better for me, like the Robins in Titans. I feel like Batwoman's suit would look cooler if the upper torso looked more like armor.

I used to really like the Nolan Batsuit, but now it looks a bit too restrictive and complex IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    This makes me think of how pretty much every actor that has worn a suit of this sort has complained about it - and they didn't even have to do stunts or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This makes me think of how pretty much every actor that has worn a suit of this sort has complained about it - and they didn't even have to do stunts or whatnot.
    Yeah, too much rubber restricts movement and would make it hard to pull off the stunts I imagine. It would also be heavy I think.

That said, I still think a bit of torso protection looks cool.

The Robin suit IMO has a good balance.

The Nightwing suit overdoes the amount of rubber IMO.

And the Batwoman suit looks a bit minimal in protection IMO.

Fabric with rubbers in some key parts like the Bat-Symbol, the Belt or the Gauntlets. It's reflective of how I see them. I don't see the Bat-Family as those dudes with almost mecha-suits like Lex Luthor, I think of them as moving around a lot, almost flying, acrobats and using a handful of gadgets to help them but with little ones, no big guns or anything like that. They don't take bullets but knock out the room fast enough that they don't get shot

However the costume designer feels is the best way to visualize the suits on-screen .

I would prefer the Returns suit that was actually lycra fabric underneath the thinner, more flexible, light weight layer of molded foam rubber on Batman, making it both more functional to move in, and looks more like armor, rather than a muscle suit, or a leotard, I'd like a fabric suit on Robin [sleeveless to stay true to the classic Robin design] with a bullet resistant Kevlar jerkin and bullet resistant Kevlar cape etc., and a slim fit light weight leather material suit on Batgirl with a bullet resistant maybe GPD Kevlar vest [that she swipes from Commissioner Gordon's closet] under her costume. I like Burton's mechanic Kid concept as like an alternate Robin [that Tim Burton cast Marlon Wayans as for Batman Returns so the Bat-Family aren't all white], who wasn't gonna be the Grayson Robin [Burton had cast Ricky Addison Reed as the Grayson Robin with the Flying Graysons origin that was gonna be in Batman (1989)], and the mechanic Kid was gonna wear garage mechanic coveralls with maybe an R on his coveralls. Tim Burton explained about him, "We tried really hard to work him in. In fact, we weren't even sure that the Kid would definitely be Robin. No matter what we did, though, he screwed up Batman's loner psychology, which is the deeper aspect of the character. Although I didn't think about it at the time I hired Marlon [Wayans], I realized after he was cut that a lot of people would have made a fuss about Batman having a black sidekick." http://www.1989batman.com/2014/10/vi...ue-august.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DC Classics; 12-03-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Riot gear, so fabric

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I quote this post from the topic: "Batman; svelte or bulky body?", because I think this is the right place to talk about Bat-family suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I might be sadistic but, like with the Spirit, I've enjoyed all those times when Batman got so beat up he couldn't even stand, his outfit was in shreds, and he had major contusions all over his body.
    I agree: in my humble opinion a perfect example how a writer should manage the story when Batman gets shot is shown in Batman 468 (pages 15 and 16), where Batman gets shot, the kevlar of his suit protect him from the bullet, but not from the strength of the impact of the shot on his body, so he have to trudge toward his home and be medicate by Alfred.
    This is why I think Batman & Co. should wear a kevlar suit to protect them from the bullets and the knives, with some rubber protections (like the riot gear of the SWATs) to protect them from the blunt object blows; the Nolan's Batsuit is a good example of what I mean, even if it is a bit too complex and restrictive (like Bat-Meal said).

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    This is why I think Batman & Co. should wear a kevlar suit to protect Batman from the bullets and the knives, with some rubber protections (like the riot gear of the SWATs) to protect him from the blunt object blows; the Nolan's Batsuit is a good example of what I mean, even if it is a bit too complex and restrictive (like Bat-Meal said).
    Yes, I agree some chest protection is good, and too much thick armor beyond that looks overly restrictive and complex IMO.

The armor segments on this Batwoman statue looks good since there is definite armor over the basic fabric, but not an excessive amount. Plus, it looks like mesh, which makes it look flexible:

The Batgirl armor from Arkham Knight looks a bit restrictive IMO, though I see it does have segments for movement:

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Yes, I agree some chest protection is good, and too much thick armor beyond that looks overly restrictive and complex IMO.
    […]
    Exactly, even if the great issue isn't the quantity of rubber on the armour, but how the armour is designed. In fact we think the knight were very clumsy, because they wore 30 kilos of armours of steel, but those armours were designed to allow them all kind of movements; like you can see since 2:55 minute of the following video. The great issue of the armour was and is the overheating: more they are complex an less the person who wears them can dissipate his own heat; in fact often the knights died for hyperthermia and this is an issue I would love to see in the comics, to show how much Batman & Co risk when they fight the criminals.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    These look better:

Does anyone else find the codpiece on Nightwing's suit a bit weird?
    The codpiece juts forward too much it's almost like a boob armor but for that part. The Freeze armor one is more reasonable.

By the way, it's mentioned multiple times in the (Rebirth) comic that Nightwing's suit is just a leotard, and the way it's drawn it's definitely light fabric that's shaped by his body, and torn like a fabric, so there's no padding at all, except maybe the crotch area since it's never so skintight that it shows... not that they're ever gonna show it... and there's a hard part on the knuckles while the soles of his shoes look like running shoes, but that's as much padding as I can tell.

The New 52 suit by Brett Booth that he wore in Chicago uses fantasy padding that's stronger than kevlar.

Idk about his old suits

Kate's New 52 suit is fantasy fabric that's bulletproof

Bruce's New 52 suit is a fabric that has full-body padding underneath that's strong enough to hold against Ace Chemical's acid and his Rebirth suit is a fabric that has a strong enough protection underneath that it holds against Faye Gunn's machine gun at point-blank range. Something alloy.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-03-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The codpiece juts forward too much it's almost like a boob armor but for that part. The Freeze armor one is more reasonable.
    I'm not a fan of boob armor either, (not sure why in-universe he'd want to 'highlight' anything down there), both are distracting and an odd choice for armor IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    By the way, it's mentioned multiple times in the (Rebirth) comic that Nightwing's suit is just a leotard, and the way it's drawn it's definitely light fabric that's shaped by his body, and torn like a fabric, so there's no padding at all, except maybe the crotch area since it's never so skintight that it shows... not that they're ever gonna show it... and there's a hard part on the knuckles while the soles of his shoes look like running shoes, but that's as much padding as I can tell.
    Yeah, reading the comics I always interpreted it as fabric, since he is an acrobat. But all the adaptions I've seen outside of animation and comics seem to make it thicker.

Last edited by Bat-Meal; 12-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.