2. 90's
    3. 70's
    4. 00's
    5. 10's
    6. 60's

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I mostly grew up on back-issues so...

60s
    Had some good ideas but bad execution. Picks up when Havok and Polaris show up and Xavier "croaks" but still kinda meh compared to what you got in other books

4/10

70s
    I wasn't even born when Giant-Size launched. Is that the 70s?
    God bless Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. Beast gets pushed into other books where he's written better.

7.5/10

80s
    Best stuff especially with New Mutants and X-Factor on the side.

9.5/10

90s

X-force, X-Men vol.2 launch and David's X-Factor plus cross-overs like X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions and Age of Apocalypse help out the quality. Kinda struggles going into the 21st century cuz the new guys couldn't top Lobdell

8.5/10

2000s

This is when the movies were starting to come out. Cyclops was dead or some shit but Sakurai buffed Cable and Jean. Then we go into Morrison's New and Claremont's X-Treme with Whedon's Astonishing later.

New Mutants kinda comes back with the Academy X books.

8/10

2010s

Fraction, Gillen, Aaron, David and some other guys

Everything was in harmony

Until the Bendis Nation attacked

Fucking hell.

Then everyone got a bad case of gas.

Doom have mercy.

We've only had 3 good books since 2015. (Guess which ones I'm thinking of.)

6/10
    "Cable was right!"

6. The '60s - It gets some credit for introducing the core concept and some characters that have remained popular and important to the franchise, but the stories, dialogue, and characterization were all bad.

5. The '70s - The ANAD era was an exciting reinvention of the X-Men concept. But, half the decade was reprints, and Claremont's early work had way too many Silver Age holdovers. The characters and stories didn't start getting more complex and naturalistic until around the DPS, and that was 1980.

This is where it gets tricky because the next three decades are all very inconsistent.

4. The '90s - This was a decade of excess. There were big exciting stories and loud flashy art. While there were some bright spots here and there, most of this era's output didn't age well, and when the excitement dimmed over time we saw that there wasn't really much substance.

3. The '00s - The early part of the decade was great, with a new and innovative take on the franchise from Morrison. After his run there were some interesting ideas, but the execution was mostly lacking for me. The flagships in particular just got worse as the decade closed out with a whimper.

2. The '10s - I was surprised I ranked this one so high. The decade started really poorly, and as I said I didn't really care for any of the flagship books. But there were some really good and interesting things happening in the satellite titles. And now, Hickman is reinvigorating the line and the decade is ending with a bang.

1. The '80s - The undisputed best decade. Although, that's mostly due to consistent writing, which is expected when most of it was being written by Claremont. There are definitely some bits that haven't aged well, and that will likely get worse with time. But for now, the '80s remains the era of the most well written and consistent characters, with the best events and story arcs, and it wasn't afraid to take the line in new directions.

* Really, the more I think about it, the '00s and '10s are pretty much interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    With the decade coming to an end, how were the stories in the 2010's compared to what's come before?

For me, from worst to best:

6. 60s - Not much to say, really. These stories were just bad, even for their time.

5. 10s - In all fairness, I was pretty off and on with this decade. I went through some long periods where I didn't read any stories, yet I still feel confident in saying that this was one of the worst decades. HoX/PoX was the one saving grace, and that didn't even come until the very end. it just seemed like none of the writers or editors really knew what to do. So many status quo changes that didn't stick. Overall, a terrible time for X-Men fans.

4. 90s - Noticeable jump in quality from the previous two. Admittedly, the 90's for the X-Men wasn't that bad compared to other Marvel heroes. There were definitely some good titles, but the biggest problem lied in the high expectations that writers had to face after Claremont left. All in all though, this era wasn't bad, and this was the team at their peak in popularity.

3. 70s - This would be higher but the first half of this decade consists of reprints. The second half, though, gave us Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne, which pretty much laid the foundation for everything that came afterwards. The X-Men pretty much started in the 70s.

2. 00s - After writers struggled to follow Claremont in the 90s, Morrison and Whedon would give us back-to-back definitive runs. It's actually really impressive that these two are considered the best X-Men writers, next to Claremont, considering they wrote flagship titles one after the other. In addition, we also had memorables runs like Yost/Kyle's New X-Men and Peter David's 2nd X-Factor.

1. 80s - Self-explanatory.
    Agree with everything stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I mostly grew up on back-issues so...

60s
    Had some good ideas but bad execution. Picks up when Havok and Polaris show up and Xavier "croaks" but still kinda meh compared to what you got in other books

4/10

70s
    I wasn't even born when Giant-Size launched. Is that the 70s?
    God bless Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. Beast gets pushed into other books where he's written better.

7.5/10

80s
    Best stuff especially with New Mutants and X-Factor on the side.

9.5/10

90s

X-force, X-Men vol.2 launch and David's X-Factor plus cross-overs like X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions and Age of Apocalypse help out the quality. Kinda struggles going into the 21st century cuz the new guys couldn't top Lobdell

8.5/10

2000s

This is when the movies were starting to come out. Cyclops was dead or some shit but Sakurai buffed Cable and Jean. Then we go into Morrison's New and Claremont's X-Treme with Whedon's Astonishing later.

New Mutants kinda comes back with the Academy X books.

8/10

2010s

Fraction, Gillen, Aaron, David and some other guys

Everything was in harmony

Until the Bendis Nation attacked

Fucking hell.

Then everyone got a bad case of gas.

Doom have mercy.

We've only had 3 good books since 2015. (Guess which ones I'm thinking of.)

6/10
    6/10 for the 10s?

You're too nice.

Spectacular Member

1. 90s - biased since I grew up with this. from 93 or so on was my starting point. I loved some AoA and so much other fun stuff happened.
    2. 80s - reading back.... this was some good shit. Outback era was fun and Clarement was on a roll. X-Factor and New Mutants were good too.
    3. 70s - Clarement's beginning and introduced a lot of key characters. still some good reads and Phoenix saga will always be remembered.
    4. 00s - feels like things started going down hill here. some really bad stuff. Casey/Morrison/Austen .... was a real down point and killed my interest for a while.
    5. 10s - I'll be honest most recent stuff has not been kind. lack of interest due to the movies and Fox. forced turnovers. all the depowering and pointless shock factor deaths? just sigh...
    6. 60s this has been covered but ... even besides being dated it was pretty bland and just nothing too interesting

1. The 70's Claremont, Cockrum and Byrne
    2. The 60's Lee, Kirby, Thomas and Adams
    3. The 80's Paul Smith
    4. The 90's
    5. The 00's
    6. The 10's

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    6. The '60s - It gets some credit for introducing the core concept and some characters that have remained popular and important to the franchise, but the stories, dialogue, and characterization were all bad.

5. The '70s - The ANAD era was an exciting reinvention of the X-Men concept. But, half the decade was reprints, and Claremont's early work had way too many Silver Age holdovers. The characters and stories didn't start getting more complex and naturalistic until around the DPS, and that was 1980.

This is where it gets tricky because the next three decades are all very inconsistent.

4. The '90s - This was a decade of excess. There were big exciting stories and loud flashy art. While there were some bright spots here and there, most of this era's output didn't age well, and when the excitement dimmed over time we saw that there wasn't really much substance.

3. The '00s - The early part of the decade was great, with a new and innovative take on the franchise from Morrison. After his run there were some interesting ideas, but the execution was mostly lacking for me. The flagships in particular just got worse as the decade closed out with a whimper.

2. The '10s - I was surprised I ranked this one so high. The decade started really poorly, and as I said I didn't really care for any of the flagship books. But there were some really good and interesting things happening in the satellite titles. And now, Hickman is reinvigorating the line and the decade is ending with a bang.

1. The '80s - The undisputed best decade. Although, that's mostly due to consistent writing, which is expected when most of it was being written by Claremont. There are definitely some bits that haven't aged well, and that will likely get worse with time. But for now, the '80s remains the era of the most well written and consistent characters, with the best events and story arcs, and it wasn't afraid to take the line in new directions.

* Really, the more I think about it, the '00s and '10s are pretty much interchangeable.
    I agree with this take after rereading the whole shebang last year.

I like the 10s more than I should, but Bendis started well enough for me that I was entertained. Stil better than the year prior to HOX.

80s
    90s
    00s (most everything was decent and re-readable except for Austen's run on UXM)
    70s (would have been #3 if the first half hadn't been reprints)
    60s
    10s
    Viva la ResurreXion!!!!

80s
    90s (first half)
    00s
    70s
    90s (second half)
    60s
    10s

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

1-80s
    2-70s
    3-90s
    4-60s
    5-10s
    6-00s (specially for not having Jean and all the extinctions after extinctions)
    My opinions are my own

Quote Originally Posted by mozzle View Post
    60s
    This era sucks...

90s
    I got no love for the 90s. It's when we mistook cynism as maturity.

70s
    Top tier X-Men stories in this decade, but not enough of them.

10s
    Love Bendis, love Hickman

00s
    Highest highs, lowest lows.

80s
    The best by far.
    Yep. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    1. 90s
    2. 00s
    3. 10s
    4. 80s
    5. 70s
    6. 60s
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    1. 90s
    2. 00s
    3. 10s
    4. 80s
    5. 70s
    6. 60s
    I don't mean to criticize your opinions, but the 2010's over the 1980s?