Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default So, I just found out marvel/hulu cancelled the Ghost Rider tv show !!!!!!!!

runaways is ending after the third season, cloak and dagger is gone as a solo show, and now this ghost rider show I was looking forward to was apparently axed two months ago. What a god damn waste.

There were reports that Fiege was the hitman, perhaps he wanted to use ghost rider in the cinematic universe... and so is this the **** we are going to have to deal with now? Film gets top billing while television, the SUPERIOR creative medium must always be home to the strays? Loki and scarlet witch and vision are not iron man, not thor, not xmen. What the hell is going on?

Remember how people used to say that if Marvel had the rights to xmen and spiderman they would never have branched out with iron man and thor like they did? I feel like that is what Fiege or someone controlling marvel is doing with television, they are literally sucking the life out of the medium. Is there some other explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    runaways is ending after the third season, cloak and dagger is gone as a solo show, and now this ghost rider show I was looking forward to was apparently axed two months ago. What a god damn waste.

There were reports that Fiege was the hitman, perhaps he wanted to use ghost rider in the cinematic universe... and so is this the **** we are going to have to deal with now? Film gets top billing while television, the SUPERIOR creative medium must always be home to the strays? Loki and scarlet witch and vision are not iron man, not thor, not xmen. What the hell is going on?

Remember how people used to say that if Marvel had the rights to xmen and spiderman they would never have branched out with iron man and thor like they did? I feel like that is what Fiege or someone controlling marvel is doing with television, they are literally sucking the life out of the medium. Is there some other explanation?
    Besides the film spin offs like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, WandaVision, and Loki Disney+ is also introducing new characters with their own shows with She-Hulk, Moonknight, and Ms. Marvel.

IMO Feige now controlling all Marvel he doesn't want tv shows he didn't create and thus didn't have creative and more importantly quality control over remember the MCUs biggest embarrassments came from the tv side with stuff like Inhumans and Iron Fist.

Kevin Feige is sucking the life out of the medium of television?

Television is the superior creative medium? That's definitely an opinion.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The people in the movie side of the MCU never had any use or respect for the TV side. That's been pretty clear. Now that the movie people are in charge of it all, I fear they're going to try and declare all prior TV series to be non-canon. Which I will have a big problem with.

Unless you're doing a global reboot, I think canon material in a fictional universe should follow the same rules as canon in the real universe... you're stuck with reality, like it or not. Removing things from continuity is a betrayal of the people who watched it with the understanding that it counted, even if it didn't impact the flagship movies at all. It was still part of the complete story.

I can't muster much respect or investment in a story where "reality" (i.e. canon) is a matter of convenience. Which is a big reason I don't get into superhero comics with their constant reboots.

I hope my fears will turn out to be unfounded.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The people in the movie side of the MCU never had any use or respect for the TV side. That's been pretty clear. Now that the movie people are in charge of it all, I fear they're going to try and declare all prior TV series to be non-canon. Which I will have a big problem with.

Unless you're doing a global reboot, I think canon material in a fictional universe should follow the same rules as canon in the real universe... you're stuck with reality, like it or not. Removing things from continuity is a betrayal of the people who watched it with the understanding that it counted, even if it didn't impact the flagship movies at all. It was still part of the complete story.

I can't muster much respect or investment in a story where "reality" (i.e. canon) is a matter of convenience. Which is a big reason I don't get into superhero comics with their constant reboots.

I hope my fears will turn out to be unfounded.

I would not care if tv was canon or not if it got to paint with the same colors on a different canvas. But it seems Feige has an attitude of... only crayons for that canvas! Hmm, I like that crayon I never bothered to use on my own canvas, I take that one now too and none for yours.

This sense of tv taking a back seat is what I have a problem with. If Feige wants to go around clipping the wings of promising marvel content on television I think that is an incredible waste.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Television is the superior creative medium? That's definitely an opinion.
    The correct one, as judged by a higher authority. Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Film gets top billing while television, the SUPERIOR creative medium must always be home to the strays? Loki and scarlet witch and vision are not iron man, not thor, not xmen. What the hell is going on?
    Television is not the superior medium - nor is it inferior. Both mediums have their strengths and weaknesses. Film's strength is superior effects, a wider audience, and the possibility for greater profit. Given that, of course studios are going to prioritize certain characters for film over TV. Why is that upsetting? I'm glad it seems they might think GR is worthy of the big leagues of film still.