Default A Batman image offended China. Its removal has angered fans worldwide

A Batman image offended China. Its removal has angered fans worldwide

DC Comics needs a superhero to save it from itself. The pop-culture giant is in political hot water over a drawing that’s been linked in mainland China to Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests and is now at the center of a global debate about state censorship and corporate complicity in chilling free speech.

The image in question, which DC removed from various social media accounts it runs, is undeniably compelling. Created by artist Rafael Grampá for writer Frank Miller’s graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child, to be released on Dec. 11, the drawing shows a youthful superhero holding a Molotov cocktail. In the background are the words: “The future is young.”

Chinese social media users took offense at what they said was a clear reference to pro-democracy protestors in Hong Kong (and) sparked a backlash against DC that the company tried to quell by taking down the image without any explanation.... The self-censorship only angered fans around the world, who questioned DC bowing to pressure and urged it to go in the opposite direction.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

The Chinese regime is literally terrified by everything could bring into question its decisions (even remotely), its actions and finally its own survival, so they use the weapon of censorship to keep the population under control, but they don't see two things: the ideas are like the air: you can close all the doors and all the windows, but it will always find the way to enter in your home and they are teaching us to see it like a menace for us, for its own people and for the peace in the entire world (see the Chinese arm race and how China is using its arsenal to threaten the other nations of the far east) and all this will have consequences; sooner or later. In my humble opinion China is acting exactly like Japan did among the two World Wars, but in a greater scale, because its agenda is very similar the Imperial Japanese one of that time: China want became the new world superpower.
    I don't think this is what you wanted talk, but in my humble opinion we can't understand what is happening in China if we don't understand what and why China is doing, so I hope you will forgive me if I am off topic.

DC is at least still using the cover even if they aren't posting it on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC is at least still using the cover even if they aren't posting it on social media.
    For now. It's not unlike DC to crumple under political pressure and bend the knee.

I imagine it would sell like hotcakes in Hong Kong, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    For now. It's not unlike DC to crumple under political pressure and bend the knee.
    Such as when?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Such as when?
    The variant cover for Batgirl #41.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I think if Albuquerque made a cover where Jason Todd blew up, nobody would say nothing.
    The Joker's murder of poor Jason is practically a running gag in Joker media. I have a James Groman Joker figure that has a Jason-shaped appendage sutured to his arm. If the "doll" had been Barbara, we'd never hear the end of it.

As to the current controversy: The image will probably become legendary, if not quite so legendary as the Batgirl #41 variant, with its various edits and parodies.

China can go eat ****. Its the most generic riot possible.

“The Future Is Young” Batman Dark Knight Message Now Part Of Hong Kong Protests: in another example of the Streisand Effect, the language used on the image has now actually become part of the protests, against threats to Hong Kong autonomy from Chinese authorities. This image was taken on the streets of Hong Kong by photographer May James, working for the Hong Kong Free Press, who have plenty of coverage of the situation, and is reproduced here with permission.

Awesome. DC and Warner Bros. should be leaning into the idea of a Batman who is adopted as a symbol for freedom.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

In my opinion is a classical case of a prophecy that come true by itself (or boomerang effect if you prefere): the Chinese authorities gave a meaning to that image and the protesters started tu use it with that exactly meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    In my opinion is a classical case of a prophecy that come true by itself (or boomerang effect if you prefere): the Chinese authorities gave a meaning to that image and the protesters started tu use it with that exactly meaning.
    Agreed. Similar to the previously cited "Streisand effect."