Default Pre-New 52 Justice League: best stories

Can you tell me what are the best Justice League storylines from the seventies to 2010? Which one is the best read for a new fan?
    Why i don't like Thanos Rising https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Thanos-Rising

My issues with Thuggish Thanos https://community.cbr.com/showthread...huggish-Thanos

Adam Warlock Appreciation thread https://community.cbr.com/showthread...esis-of-Thanos

Cosmic Marvel is best Marvel

No one can write Thanos and Adam Warlock well but Jim Starlin.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Can you tell me what are the best Justice League storylines from the seventies to 2010? Which one is the best read for a new fan?
    Well let me tell you the little history of the Justice League.

DC's main storyline revolves around major events. The first one was in 1985 and was the first ever big event/crossover of this kind in comics. And the last one is still ongoing.
    Those event helped define major eras in DC Comics' history:

1. 1930-1985 - Golden Age / Silver Age / Bronze Age
    2. 1985-2011 - Modern Age
    3. 2011-now - New52 / Rebirth / New Justice - Concidered as the Flashpoint age

So here is how the major Events and Series are organized:

1. 1961 - Flash of Two Worlds - First acknowlegment of the DC Multivers - 1 tpb
    2. 1985 - Crisis on Infinit Earths (COIE) - End of the multivers and start of a new age - 1 omnibus
    3. 1986 - DC: Legend - Darkseid wants to take earth - creation of the modern age Justice League and Suicide Squad - 1 volume
    4. 1987-1989 - Justice League International - continues from DC: Legend - 5 volumes
    5. 1987-1992 - Suicide Squad - continues from DC: Legend - 8 tpb
    6. 1994 - Zero Hour: Crisis in Time - return of the multiverse - 1 volume
    7. 1997-2006 - JLA - Great serie by Morrison, Waid and others 24 tpb or 4 volumes
    8. 2004 - Identity Crisis - Crisis tha will implicate all the super-heroes of the DC Univers - 1 volume
    9. 2006 - Infinit Crisis - Follows up to the event of COIE and Identity Crisis - 1 omnibus
    10. 2006-2007 - 52 - tells the story of the missing year after Infinit Crisis - don't have to read it before Final Crisis - it's excellent - 4 volumes or 2 omnibus
    11. 2006 - Seven Solder of Victory - 4 volumes - important prequel to Final Crisis - 4 volumes
    12. 2007 - Final Crisis - The end of the storyline started by COIE - 1 volume or 1 omnibus
    13. 2005-2011 - Green Lantern by Geoff Johns - includes Sinestro War Corps, Blackest Night and Brightest Days, and many more. - 3 massive omnibus
    14. 2011 - Flashpoint - Time is disrupted and a new earth begins - DC is rebooted - 1 tpb
    15. 2011-2016 - Justice League New52 - The New52 era has lots of crossovers and events, so here is the best reading order:
    16. -- Justice League New52 vol.1-2: Origins / Vilain's Jurney - 2 tpb
    17. -- Justice League of America vol.1: World's Most Dangerous - 1 tpb
    18. -- Justice League: Trinity War - 1 volume
    19. -- Forever evil + Justice League vol.5: Forever Heroes - 2 tpb
    20. -- Justice League vol.6: Injustice League - 1 tpb
    21. -- Justice League vol.7-8: Darkseid War - 2 tpb or 1 volume or 1 omnibus
    22. 2016 - Titans Hunt - road to Rebirth - 1 tpb
    23. 1986 - The Watchmen - will be important to know this story for the upcoming events - 1 volume
    24. 2016 - DC Univivers Rebirth - things from before flashpoint seem to be comming back - 1 issue
    25. 2016 - Titans: The Return of Wally West - concludes Titans Hunt - 1 tpb
    26. 2016-2018 - Justice League Rebirth - 8 tpb or 4 volumes
    27. 2017 - Batman/Flash: The Button - continues the story started in DC Univers Rebirth - 1 tpb - skipable
    28. 2018-2019 - Doomsday Clock - ends the storyline started by Falshpoint - 2 volumes
    29. 2017-2018 - Dark Knights: Metal + various tie-ins - A Dark Multivers invades ours - 1 volume - no omnibus yet
    30. 2018 - Justice League: No Justice - concequence of Dark Knight: Metal
    31. 2018-ongoing - Justice League (aka New Justice) - new Justice League serie under the label New Justice

With all that it makes a lot. But you can cut it into smaller blocks that you can read on their own:

• COIE + Zero Hour + Identity Crisis + Infinit Crisis + 52 + Seven Solders + Final Crisis
    • DC: Legends + Justice League International
    • JLA - at least the Grant Morrison and Waid parts
    • Green Lantern by Geoff Johns
    • Justice League New52
    • Watchmen + Flashpoint + Titan Hunt + DC Univers Rebirth + Return of Wally West + Doomsday Clock
    • Dark Knight: Metal + No Justice + New Justice

Flashpoint can be read before Justice League New52 or as a conclusion to Brightest Day and Final Crisis.

There are also some must read standalone and elsworld stories:

Kingdom Come - Story by the great Mark Waid and art by the sublime Alex Ross
    DC: The New Frontier - By the very tallented Darwyn Cooke

As a personal opinion I wouldn't start with the recent stuff, I find it less good.
    The DC Crisis are great (with a few lesser good chapters) but it's very long to read.
    The JLA serie has some very iconic stories especially during Grant Morrison and Mark Waid runs.
    Geoff Johns' new52 run doesn't start very greatly in my opinion, but it gets better after the 2 first tpb.
    Also you might not like the old style of JL international but it's very very good.
    And of course the 2 Elseworlds I suggested are must reads. And probably 2 of the most important super-hero comics of all times.

Have fun
    Last edited by jb681131; 12-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.