Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    Here's what I think -

There's going to be no new Superman movie. WB/DC wouldn't be allowing the Superman & Lois show to get made if there was.

Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Harley Quin and Aquaman are going to carry on as their own movie series until the actors give up or until the sequels end for another reason.

Robert Pattinson has signed a contract to basically play Batman until the end of time. At this time he does not exist in the same universe as the others. Eventually the whole rest of the JL characters will get rebooted for integration into Pattinson's Batman universe.

That's what I think is happening here!
    I agree. They are slowly phasing out the current DCEU and will replace it with the Pattinson-verse. Whatever movies are left on their contract, the rest of the DCEU characters will probably finish up and they will move on. This might also explain why they dropped the Batgirl movie. Why set up a new Batgirl when you're already setting up a new Batman? Why not just shift her over to the new universe when it's done? This might also explain why the Cyborg movie was dropped and why the Flash movie has been in limbo for two years. Future DCEU projects are essentially on hold until the new universe is established.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I see this happening. Aquaman and WW get to move forward and everyone else slowly and quietly gets phased out or replaced.
    Yeah. I suspect that going forward, the movies are going to be largely self-contained with little thought put into a wider universe. We'll get a few lines of dialogue that reference other heroes, just like back in the day when a Batman movie would name-drop Metropolis, or like when Aquaman mentioned Steppenwolf and Shazam had Superman's chest cameo at the end of the film. Glorified easter eggs without any more meat on the bone, yknow? But largely I think the movies aren't going to deal with the shared universe construct and will keep crossover elements to a bare minimum. What we'll get is essentially DC/WB saying that other heroes exist in the world, and nothing more.

In this way it'll actually resemble the "fiefdom" version of the DCU where, "legally" speaking it's all one continuity but franchises don't really mix together very much or build on each other (unlike the MCU which has gone all-in on guest appearances and crossovers). And any team up movies that come along, like a JL-2, will probably be a long way down the road if it happens at all (obviously not counting franchises like Squad and BoP which are team IP's with few, if any, solo characters involved). And anything from MoS, BvS, JL, and SS will be open to contradiction (just like how WW84 is ignoring the idea that Diana didn't do any heroics after WWI).

Which is all fine by me. DC never needed a shared universe in the first place. Marvel did, because they only had C-list characters like Iron Man and Captain America and the shared universe gimmick was a way to engage audiences. DC has control of some of fiction's most famous IP's, and they stand on their own just fine. So if ignoring a shared continuity is what it takes to get successful films like Aquaman and Joker, I'm all in. I never needed Batman showing up in my Superman movie, I just needed a good Superman movie. I mean, really, who's going to give a sh*t about a shared universe when the individual IP's aren't worth caring about?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Kind of interesting how TV can have shared universes. The Law & Order universe where character from one show would show up on others and now the Chicago shows have been incorporated into this.
    The Hawaii Five-O - Macgyver - Magnum PI universe. The Jag-NCIS universe. And of course the Arrowverse. But somehow WB couldn't make a movie universe work.

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    Here's what I think -

There's going to be no new Superman movie. WB/DC wouldn't be allowing the Superman & Lois show to get made if there was.

Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Harley Quin and Aquaman are going to carry on as their own movie series until the actors give up or until the sequels end for another reason.

Robert Pattinson has signed a contract to basically play Batman until the end of time. At this time he does not exist in the same universe as the others. Eventually the whole rest of the JL characters will get rebooted for integration into Pattinson's Batman universe.

That's what I think is happening here!
    ... and that is what you like or merely what you guess (although its a pretty solid guess IMO) will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I agree. They are slowly phasing out the current DCEU and will replace it with the Pattinson-verse. Whatever movies are left on their contract, the rest of the DCEU characters will probably finish up and they will move on. This might also explain why they dropped the Batgirl movie. Why set up a new Batgirl when you're already setting up a new Batman? Why not just shift her over to the new universe when it's done? This might also explain why the Cyborg movie was dropped and why the Flash movie has been in limbo for two years. Future DCEU projects are essentially on hold until the new universe is established.
    Yeah I think it'll either be that, or they just say **** it and do a full X-Men by having Pattinson team up with Godot and Momoa (and whoever ends up in the Superman costume) at some point and just ignore any logical inconsistencies this would raise.

No reboots necessary, just make films that work and stand alone.

I think it'd be great if DC just admitted it - "You know, we really like making Batman movies. And we do like doing Superman on TV, so tune in to find big blue there. And if you've got a hankering for some widescreen Superman action, here's a link to buy the blu-ray sets starring Reeve, Routh and Cavill. We all win!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    No reboots necessary, just make films that work and stand alone.

I think it'd be great if DC just admitted it - "You know, we really like making Batman movies. And we do like doing Superman on TV, so tune in to find big blue there. And if you've got a hankering for some widescreen Superman action, here's a link to buy the blu-ray sets starring Reeve, Routh and Cavill. We all win!!"
    Yes, just make good solo movies that stand on their own. And if the scheduling works out, maybe throw in a cameo of the movie version of Supergirl in a Wonder Woman movie or The Batman's Catwoman shows up in a Flash movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Kind of interesting how TV can have shared universes. The Law & Order universe where character from one show would show up on others and now the Chicago shows have been incorporated into this.
    The Hawaii Five-O - Macgyver - Magnum PI universe. The Jag-NCIS universe. And of course the Arrowverse. But somehow WB couldn't make a movie universe work.
    A lot of that has to do with whoever is working on the shows in question.

Take the White Shadow by Gwyneth Paltrow's Dad-Bruce. You know who may tv shows are related to that 3 year series?
    La Law, Chicago Fire, St Elsewhere, Law & Order, Chicago Hope, X-Files, Homicide, Brady Bunch, Lone Gunmen & Fringe. I can name about 40 more shows.

Even Hasbro took all their toy properties and made a universe.

I think the issue is what do you keep and what do you NOT use? That fans will accept.

Marvel got away with it because they couldn't use certain folks. Now you gotta explain mutants and Fantastic Four and sooner than later Miles Morales, Moon Girl & Ms Marvel.

Rework Justice League to feature Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam as main members, with one or two new additions whose backstories don't require a ton of heavy lifting (at least at the start): characters like Green Arrow and Vixen, who can be boiled down to "millionaire trapped on island and learned archery" and "bequeathed mysterious token that gives her animal powers". Don't deal with Flash until they sort his movie out, jettison Cyborg as the character was a non-starter, and consider Superman and Batman off-limits, with one getting a TV show and the other in films within a different continuity. Make the villain someone known to the average viewer, like a Lex Luthor, and have him using Martian Manhunter as a weapon until the movie's end, when J'onn flips sides and joins the team at the end.