Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sounds like a lot of people have totally swallowed the ‘received wisdom’ that somehow Axel was a bad editor, or that he was sacked.
    If he wasn’t sacked, then why was he liking anti-Marvel tweets in the months following his departure?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    If he wasn’t sacked, then why was he liking anti-Marvel tweets in the months following his departure?
    I didn’t say he left amicably but there is clearly a long story in his tenure, and anyone who was keeping an ear to the ground would know full well that he wasn’t necessarily doing things, towards the end, the way he would have if he had more power. In the final analysis I would posit he actually did leave on mutual agreement and had no desire to keep going under the terms he was working with.

I would unashamedly claim his time in the chair to be in the top three Marvel EiC tenures of all time, so yep I am biased, but that doesn’t take anything away from my assertion that the truth is nowhere near as simple or even resembling what received wisdom would suggest.

What is categorically not true is that he was pushing the wrong kinds of books so he got the sack, which is agenda driven nonsense.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-03-2019 at 03:48 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sounds like a lot of people have totally swallowed the ‘received wisdom’ that somehow Axel was a bad editor, or that he was sacked.
    I think he was a bad editor because his whole faux diversity push by replacing established characters with minorities rather than creating new intriguing long lasting diverse original characters suck. Also if he was behind the push of the inhumans at the expense of X-Men that's another reason he sucks. And if he was behind the FF cancellation he definitely sucked. And those are just a few off the top of my head reasons.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Sure. It’s tenure only gave us Fraction/Aja Hawkeye, Waid/Rodriguez/Samnee Daredevil, Remender/Acuna/Noto Uncanny X-Force, Hickman FF and Avengers, Gillen/Mc Kelvin Young Avengers, Wilson Ms. Marvel, Aaron/Ribic/Dautermann Thor, Duggan Deadpool, Spencer/ Lieber Superior Foes, North Squirrel Girl etc.
    So, he did nothing good for the XMen. Gotcha.

Probably for the best. Dan Slott has been excellent on Fantastic Four. I think that book fits every one of his strengths as a writer. I don't think he would've done quite as well on X-Men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think he was a bad editor because his whole faux diversity push by replacing established characters with minorities rather than creating new intriguing long lasting diverse original characters suck. Also if he was behind the push of the inhumans at the expense of X-Men that's another reason he sucks. And if he was behind the FF cancellation he definitely sucked. And those are just a few off the top of my head reasons.
    Very deep, insightful and mature perspective. His ‘faux’ (what doesn’t that even mean) diversity push sucked too much than the next Captain America in the MCU will be Sam Wilson and the next Thor will be Jane Foster. A total failure. Not to mention than under his tenure we had three female characters that sold even hundred of thousand of copies outside the comics market and/or topped the NYT book lists (Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl) and featured in video games and cartoons already 2 years from being published. Not to mention Miles Morales. For a guy whose job is, you know, keep old franchising fresh, create new properties and expand the reader base he definitely sucked.
    Last edited by PeterParked; 12-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.

The way the X-Men and the FF were treated stll sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Not all his fault.

He was x-men editor from 2006 to 2011

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Not all his fault.

He was x-men editor from 2006 to 2011
    2008 to 2011 and in that period he delivered one turd after one another as continuity degenerated and every story turned into a Cyclops character arc.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

On X-Men no, but that's not entirely based on previous readings. I didn't connect with Hickman before this, and it's not like I'm interested in his Spider-Man because of his X-Men. I just hadn't seen where Slott really showed interest in taking them on, and now we know that it wasn't really there. I can't really be "for" a writer until then.

I've always been willing to wipe away the post Claremont stuff not done by the Brits anyway, so I probably wouldn't even pick someone who works for the majority.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Well, most X-men fans notoriously only care about X-Men products and have no interest in the wider Marvel universe. Axel managing to raise the profile of non-mutant characters was good for Marvel as a whole.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    2008 to 2011 and in that period he delivered one turd after one another as continuity degenerated and every story turned into a Cyclops character arc.
    Lmao literally the year everything went to the left. Out tight continuity, focus on a variety of characters, carefully constructed stories, in constant nostalgia bait, laser focus on a handful of characters, hastily put together crossover event after hastily put together crossover event.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Very deep, insightful and mature perspective. His ‘faux’ (what doesn’t that even mean) diversity push sucked too much than the next Captain America in the MCU will be Sam Wilson and the next Thor will be Jane Foster. A total failure. Not to mention than under his tenure we had three female characters that sold even hundred of thousand of copies outside the comics market and/or topped the NYT book lists (Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl) and featured in video games and cartoons already 2 years from being published. Not to mention Miles Morales. For a guy whose job is, you know, keep old franchising fresh, create new properties and expand the reader base he definitely sucked.
    I'm glad you know his resume. I was mentioning things I felt made him a bad editor to me. But Bravo to him for that other stuff, doesn't change my opinion.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Well, most X-men fans notoriously only care about X-Men products and have no interest in the wider Marvel universe. Axel managing to raise the profile of non-mutant characters was good for Marvel as a whole.
    Thats cool but idc about the MU im on the xboards bc I like XMen and he sucked.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I hope nothing in that interview came off as me NOT liking the X-Men side of the Marvel U.
    I religiously followed all of the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne era all the way up through to the Chris Claremont/Jim Lee era (and I've read all of the Lee/Kirby classic era, of course).
    But after a while I dropped out of the X-Verse after Claremont left. I popped back in for whenever Alan Davis was back. And I was back for the Joss Whedon era X-books and the Grant Morrison era books.
    And I'm all-in for this new Hickman era.

But there are too many gaps in my knowledge of X-Men lore. And X-Men continuity is important for X-fans, a think I'd be doing a disservice to the readership if I just jumped in and ran roughshod with it or worse-- faked it. And with everything else I'm doing and working on, I don't know if I'd have the proper time to really go in there and fill all the gaps of everything I hadn't read. That responsibility to the lore-- and my gut feeling that I wouldn't be able to do it justice-- is probably the biggest reason I turned down the offer to write the flagship title and steer the overall course of the X-Verse.
    I wish more writers would be this true and honest with themselves when it comes to their craft and careers.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!